Replies

• daniellie23
    daniellie23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    awsome
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go before I have the kind of definition that you do, but the workout I've been doing for the past 6 months (approximately) is from Muscle and Fitness Hers. I bought a book that I found at the store that has over 100 different exercises ranging from beginning to intermediate and then advanced. I've never found anything before that broke down each exercise in such detail as well as has programs one can follow where things consistently change on a 6 week schedule. I love it and have just moved up to Advanced a week ago...it is TOUGH and I love it!

Thank you for posting this. I have been looking for other workouts to add to my library and this finally sounds like one I can look at. THANK YOU so much!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Laura-Phelps-2.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules (you can either get it from the library for free or buy it at a book store . . . I have it on kindle), as soon as I moved off and onto another program I stopped seeing gains, so I'm back on it. I have to reboot here starting either this week or next as i took time off to do some mudding and didn't want to ruin my performance through training (DOMS would have slowed me down on course). I never took a real before picture, but this is just a silly picture from 2 weekends ago (in case of confusion, I'm the one in the middle):

allabtlm YOU LOOK AWESOME. Great job!!! Thank you for this!

Kdiamond you think New Rules is too advanced for me?

This is what I do now. I now put weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, light circuits, heavy low rep sets, pyramids, a little bit of splits, constantly changing it up. I mostly do a lot of full body workouts with a lot of leg work. In addition to DL's and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, and a Lunge Matrix. And then I constantly change up the routine with Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

I'm not sure if she was talking to you or not, but with your experience I would assume that you (like me) would get bored in stage 1 of NR as I really see this stage as a transition into the weight room and onto free weights for people who are entering unfamiliar territory. I actually thought about ending the program there the first time I did it as I found it a little yawn, so I cut it a little short (4 sessions) and just moved on to stage 2 (much improved). This round I only committed to the second half of stage 1, and am much happier.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Wow so awesome! I want your abs!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather know what program YOU have been on. I've seen several of your postings and I am in awe. My profile pic is my real results and I am trying to build a lot more muscle right now. You are lovely and I never would have guessed your age.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    WOW you are inspiring. I would like to have a physique like that but no real idea where to start. I have a gym membership and I have started reading up on lifting heavy weights. I am concerned about going and doing it myself because I need to make sure I am doing technique correctly. I reckon I need to go and speak to one of the trainers there.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    OK....FIRST.....California girl 2012 You need to contact MFP because your ticker is wrong. It states that you are 51 years of age. I know thats must be wrong....errrr whats that you say? You are really 51 Years young? That can't be.....WOW!! You are absolutely gorgeous. Keep rocking and letting the world know that you can have an amazing body no matter what age.

btw do you need a hot boy toy on the side? Im willing to donate my services lol

1178356_o.gif
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Holy He** You Look Amazing!!!! You may be my first woman crush..lol;-)
    Very inspiring, You work hard and it shows! I am 47 and LOVE Lifting! You just jumpstarted my next level of goals!
    Thanks for posting! And WOW!!! Your hard work Looks Wonderful!
    Much respect for you!
    Thanks 4 posting!
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm starting The Ultimate Female Training Guide on Simplyshredded.com. I'll start next Tuesday as I have an injured foot from a half marathon I ran, so I'm sidelining this week. (I figure adding 90 lbs of pressure on a deadlift probably won't make my foot all to happy.)
    Hopefully in a few months at the end of the 12 weeks I'll have some good before/afters to share. I'm working on tweaking my diet a LOT(adding in a bunch more protein), so I'm sure that will help as well.
    If you want to see results from different programs, a lot of people share their befores and afters in the "Success Stories" section here. You can just do a search by program name and see what results pop up:-)
    I'm pro-vein. I'd rather see veins on myself than cellulite!LOL
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Cathe FRIEDRICH's STS program....I Love it, you do a 1 rep max calculation before beginning the program...3 meso cycles: ENDURANCE, HYPERTROPHY, and STRENGTH....I'm about to start meso 3...I just wish I had you in my corner to cheer me on!!!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It was not my goal to get these veins but anyone know why we get them when we workout? Here are mine relaxed. The guys seem to like them but I am not sure why. I am not a very big person, I think it might have more to do with being lean?

veins3_zpsf14b3d90.jpg

You are a new nursing student's dream when learning IV sticks. Seriously.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! You look amazing!

What did your calorie goal look like when you built all that muscle? How do you maintain your LBM at your current intake? Based upon my *very* limited knowledge this isn't possible. Thanks!

That is because of the myth floating around around about "eating up to lose" and "starvation mode"

My new saying is for a weight loss journey is " Eat Less when you are fat, Eat More when you are lean" THAT prevents starvation mode!

I put all my tips about eating less when you are fat and why in my full story --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    You are incredible and my new inspiration!! im 43 and fight for a body like yours everyday! I will never quit until i get there! you look amazing! have you thought about competing in figure? I've been teaching aerobics for over 15 years and still at it. i have noticed my body has changed a lot within the last 5 years in a direction I don't like but I keep researching and learning new ideas and recipes. i have competed in bench contests with my son and husband, lift, teach 4-6 classes a week, run in summer, hit every Warrior Dash or mud run in our area, help teach MMA conditioning, boxing, indoor cycling and show horses. i keep changing my workouts and keep my body guessing, eat clean and enjoy the active life with my family. you'll see my dad playing racquetball (at age 75), my husband lifting and my son (14 years) and I going at it in MMA all in one evening. I have times when i get tired of busting *kitten* everyday with exercise and clean eating and not acheiving my goals but then i look around in a class im teaching or in MMA and see that im doing more than women my age and ppl half my age and that keeps me motivated to keep trying. minor health issues i have found out has a negative reaction with my weight (stress of purchasing, owning and selling a gym within a 4 year period). journaling for the last 9 years of food and workouts has helped me really get to know my body and how it reacts to life. i will keep you in my mind on the times when i get frustrated and want to skip the gym and sit at home or eat a whole cake..... you made this work, you are real and did it the real way. thank you for sharing your story and pics. you have just helped one more woman stay true to her goals and for that i thank you!

Well you just keep it up and don't give up. Anyone can do this with any workout with hard work. I'm sure if I sunk my teeth into a different program I would have done just as well because I LOVE TO WORK HARD, and I'm willing to go to the gym every day and do cardio every day (taking breaks from each about once a week), and eating at a deficit if I have excess fat.

If I can do it anyone can. I'm glad you are inspired to keep going with what you are doing and that was my hope by becoming involved on this forum.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    WOW you are inspiring. I would like to have a physique like that but no real idea where to start. I have a gym membership and I have started reading up on lifting heavy weights. I am concerned about going and doing it myself because I need to make sure I am doing technique correctly. I reckon I need to go and speak to one of the trainers there.

That's the thing. You can do this with most workouts and without a PT. I never had a PT or coach, ever. I'm sure most of the other workouts have videos showing the exercises, if not you can find them on youtube. I simply watch the exercise in the video then watch myself in the mirror and make sure I'm doing it right, and also I listen to how my body feels, make sure my back is straight, no leverage on my lower back, etc. I probably do some things wrong but so far I don't look like a freak and I have not injured myself.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm really anything great.

you're kidding right? that's effin amazing!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    You are incredible and my new inspiration!! im 43 and fight for a body like yours everyday! I will never quit until i get there! you look amazing! have you thought about competing in figure?

LOL I'd rather work out hard at the gym and run sprints before I'd ever like POSING! UGH. I tried it a couple of times recently with some girls who compete, and went and watched a show. Between the fact that posing is NO FUN, and all the politics of the competition, and the subjectivity of it, and the expense, I don't think so. Although its kind of a shame because from what I saw I would smoke in the masters category. But I don't think so. Besides it's kind of fun right now, where ever I go people ask if I compete, and coaches say I'm ready for a competition now, and it's kind of fun to say "No actually I've never competed, I'm just a small town country girl from the hills who loves the gym" LOL. I'm kind of proud of it.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I have a long way to go before I have the kind of definition that you do, but the workout I've been doing for the past 6 months (approximately) is from Muscle and Fitness Hers. I bought a book that I found at the store that has over 100 different exercises ranging from beginning to intermediate and then advanced. I've never found anything before that broke down each exercise in such detail as well as has programs one can follow where things consistently change on a 6 week schedule. I love it and have just moved up to Advanced a week ago...it is TOUGH and I love it!

Well it's awesome that you love it and it's tough. It sounds like a good program and I am going to look into it. Just don't give up. Keep going. Keep working hard and keep that deficit to reduce fat. That is really all it takes. If I sunk my teeth into some other program I have no doubt I would have had the same results because I work dang hard at tough exercises and I love it, and I was able to face the truth that I had to eat less to lose the excess fat. My new motto from what I have learned if you want to lose weight " Eat less when you are fat, Eat more when you are lean". LOL
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I have been using JM RI30 and Extreme Shed and Shred, and running. My big goals right now are to shed the fat, but some muscle. I have been at a small deficit and have just (this week) changed up my food goals to try to help me reach my goals. I'm still a work-in-progress, but my current profile pic shows where I've gotten so far.