I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options
I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

Replies

• okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not.... i tend to eat what i want within moderation, say for instance carby products for 2 of my meals per day...i tend to stick away from potatoes though mainly because they bloat me something terrible...so for instance if im having a roast, i'll tend to have chicken and veg with no potatoes...but i do definitely eat pasta, rice, bread etc...i have tried Atkins/Dukan diets which are very low carb and i can only get about 3 days in before i give up, so i think "eat what you want within moderation" .

my typical day would be something like this

Egg & toast/crumpets for breakfast

tuna/chicken salad for lunch

chicken/fish with pasta/rice etc for dinner..
  • bev0l0
    Options
    No, I love carbs :wink: but try to cut them out at night
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My ratios are the same as yours, honestly.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I eat my carbs :D Like the person above me, I too don't eat a lot of carbs at night.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a low carb diet either but I only tend to pay attention to calories and fat I'm 55% Carbs 15% Protein 30% fat
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 40/40/20 (Carbs/Protein/Fat).
    I try to get most of my carbs from whole wheat sources, oats, and fruits or veggies.
    It seems to have been working so far. :)
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb either. I like my carby foods too much! So far it hasn't held me back.
    My main goal is to eat in a way I can stick with for a long, long time, and low carb doesn't fit into that :)
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal. At dinner a little less than lunch but anyway I have to eat them.
    I have something like 30 g bread or equiv at breakfast, 80 g at lunch and 60 at dinner. I am also taking metformin at lunch and dinner that definitely helps me keeping an even glicemic/insulin curve trough the day.

My only problem is that I like pasta and.. the equiv for lunch is should be something like 70 g of whole grain pasta uncooked at lunch. it is a little over 1/2 normal portion... the rice (brown) is somehow better it should be 50 g uncooked. but anyway...

What do you usually eat?
  • Taundry
    Options
    I'm not on low carbs as others have said I love my carbs to much and if I cut them too low I'm never going to be able to stick to it, all I do is stick within my calorie goal and try to have more protein now I'm trying to lose body fat and build a bit of muscle. I don't cut them at night either I can't have a dinner without without carbs :indifferent:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).
    In what way is that "balanced" ? Looks like a high carb diet to me.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i eat pretty much what i want...hence i haven't lost any weight
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal. At dinner a little less than lunch but anyway I have to eat them.
    I have something like 30 g bread or equiv at breakfast, 80 g at lunch and 60 at dinner. I am also taking metformin at lunch and dinner that definitely helps me keeping an even glicemic/insulin curve trough the day.

My only problem is that I like pasta and.. the equiv for lunch is should be something like 70 g of whole grain pasta uncooked at lunch. it is a little over 1/2 normal portion... the rice (brown) is somehow better it should be 50 g uncooked. but anyway...

What do you usually eat?

Feel free to check my diary ;)
    I tend to bulk stuff like pasta and rice up with plenty of veggies, that way I still have a nice plate full of food. I also try to go for brown/wholegrain varieties of pasta, rice and cereal since they seem to keep me feeling full for longer.
  • phonypony
    Options

That's the recommended dietary ratios.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have a much high protein than you; though it depends on overall calorie consumption, so if overall is high, then protein percentage tends to be lower relatively. Don't really care about carbs either way so I eat what I eat.
    Down to 12.8% body fat according to the scales this morning (first time seen below 13%), so something I'm doing must be working!

Oh and I believe the consensus is that the protein ratio used by MFP as standard is very low.
  • LupaNera
    Options

Well at least from what I saw in OMS guidelines and in the eating related diseases clinic where I have my doc they just recommend this ratio. Anyway the thread refers to people not following low carb diets.
  • LupaNera
    Options

What do you usually eat?

Feel free to check my diary ;)
    I tend to bulk stuff like pasta and rice up with plenty of veggies, that way I still have a nice plate full of food. I also try to go for brown/wholegrain varieties of pasta, rice and cereal since they seem to keep me feeling full for longer.

I will check so maybe I get some meals ideas. I just love to cook maybe too much :D
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal.
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

I fear you have been misinformed.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to my macros, but after looking at the pie chart on my phone, I appear to have ratios about the same as yours. Of course, the phone doesn't have an alcohol macro slice. That would be a few %, too.
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not! Not sure what my ratios are set as, because i can't find them, but pretty much just eat sensibly.

I would be so miserable and hungry if i cut right down on carbs

I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, 3 hours ago and i still feel full now! :-)
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are not. I am following nothing :smile: