I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options

Replies

• MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I target eating 40% carbs and 30% each protein and mono-saturated fat like olive oil. For carbs, I eat lots of Ronzoni Smart Taste (2.5X more fiber) Pasta and Multigrain Thomas' English Muffins (100 cal ea. and higher in fiber). I am on the Mediterranean Diet and eat lots of fish for my protein (tuna, sardines, anchovies). It works for me. Lost over 88 lbs so far. :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    most of my carbs come from my oatmeal for breakfast, and veggies throughout the day. I don't really eat pasta much anymore, or rice - except when I have sushi - but not because I'm following a low carb diet, just because that's how I eat now..... I'm usually around 150 carbs a day on average.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    hello, me neither :):)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not following low carbs, just lowER carbs. I started on 50% and I'm currently on 40%.

I just have wholegrain rice, and wholewheat pasta and bread instead. Although instead of having 2 slices of bread with my breakfast, I have one. Yesterday I had scrambled egg and mushrooms on one slice of toast, and today I had one fried egg cut up and layered in a half sandwich.

I've got a stomach condition, so I'm trying to eat every couple of hours. I wonder if this will make any difference to my weight loss, even though that wasn't my intention.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    The bottom line is how is it working for you?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If I were to go low-carb I'd likely murder my nearest and dearest then collapse from the under-fuelled effort.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i guess it really depends on the definition of "low-carb". i eat 40/40/30 (C/P/F) and it seems to be working fine. plus if you ask me, those numbers are much more "balanced"
  • cwmw
    cwmw Posts: 30
    Options
    I still eat carbs :) just cut down on fatty foods and sugar
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 50c/25f/25p which works out to about 250g of carbs. Love pasta, pizza, potatoes, rice, bagels and garlic bread.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

balanced? looks carb heavy and low protein to me. MFP's default macros are anything but balanced. But if it works for you, then it works for you.
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel that if im restricting my calories to lose weight to also restrict carbs would make me lose motivation and i'd be more likely to ditch the diet. I try to stick within the suggested ratio by MFP.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

While I am definitely not on a low carb diet that is the one macro I cut back on in order to make my calories budget. Once I hit my protein and fat number I find it easier to trim the carb heavy portion of the meal. That basically means I eat the cheeseburger but not the fries.

Btw, I don't really find your diet to be that balanced. Kind of the opposite really. I'm more like 35/35/30 protein fat carbs. But if that fits your current goals then its perfectly fine.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 40C/30P/30F. I'm still trying to balance it out though. I'm usually a little over on the carbs, and under on protein and fat. I'm more worried about getting my protein over a hundred everyday, than how many carbs I have. Of course I think some of them will have to go to make room. :wink:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    55/20/25 and in the best shape of my life. Go figure.
  • ellrunner21
    ellrunner21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on 50% carbs, 25% Protein and 25% Fats as I'm training for a Half Marathon so need to be able to fuel my runs. It's working pretty well and I'm losing weight steadily (despite eating my extra exercise calories most days). I do try and choose wholewheat pasta and bread as opposed to white, wholegrain rice and sweet potatoes instead of normal, and the only sweets that I have is a snack pack of chocolate buttons in the evening. I have porridge every morning which helps keep the mid-morning munchies at bay.

I have tried a low carb diet but I just had no energy, I felt wiped out all the time and it definitely wasn't something I could maintain. I think it's okay for a short burst, quick fix but just isn't healthy to eat like that long term. The weight might take a little longer to shift but at least you'll be awake to see it :0)
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm not following any diet plan. I just try to eat more fruit and vege's, cut down on my frying and working out more. I don't eat a lot of red meat but never truly did. But when I want a hamburger, I get a hamburger. I don't get all upset when I go over my calories because I don't do it that often. I eat healthier and cook healthier. I truly feel...for me anyway...if I put more thought into it, I am going to fail. The simpler it is, the better I relate. But I don't have severe health issues either, if I did then maybe I would have to follow a plan. I put myself on less calories and I go for that. A lot of the plans they have, I don't eat their types of food. I did notice, the healthier you want to be, the more expensive it can be....hahahahaha.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do not.

I am actually pretty opposed to those no carb diets, especially doing them long term.

My sister in law is doing no-carbs right now, but she's allowed to virtually eat anything else, which I find hilarious. You can eat a stick of butter, but not allowed to have a small amount of brown rice or whole wheat toast.

I just am so opposed to the no-carb or ever incredibly low carb diets ever since I learned about the physiology of how your body reacts to it. And so I eat carbs. My goal would be to eat healthier carbs than I already do.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i just started on here and not sure what im followin yet :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I am actually pretty opposed to those no carb diets, especially doing them long term.

Huge monumental difference between a low or lower than MFP carb way and a "no carb" way.

I dont see anyone doing a "no carb" way here. This is a common problem though. People hear low carb and think no carb.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I really just focus on calories. It may be wrong..but for me it is working. I DO try to eat little bread/rolls (that isn't 35 calories a slice) and potatoes. I will eat those things...just small portions. Calories and small portions work for me. If I get to crazy, lol I just run/walk longer....