ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The bible:)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

It will change your life.

A little irony: grew up in church learning all about the Bible. I can still recite all of the New Testament chapters from memory! Decided to read the Bible for real when I was out of college (not just devotionals like I used to, started from page 1 to the end). Now I'm an agnostic atheist!

Some messed up stuff in that book!

That's why I recommend everyone read it!

I'm reading the god delusion right now, I like it so far.
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes its amazing! Have you read Brave New World also?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

A little irony: grew up in church learning all about the Bible. I can still recite all of the New Testament chapters from memory! Decided to read the Bible for real when I was out of college (not just devotionals like I used to, started from page 1 to the end). Now I'm an agnostic atheist!

That Mary Magdalene seems quite the good time girl doesnt she!
  • the_energy
    Options
    ANYTHING by Terry Pratchet :) Discworld books are set in a fantasy world but Pratchett is a witty and satirical writer. You'll laugh out loud.
    Specifically any book with the Death character in, Start with Mort, and move onto Soul Music. Binky is an amazing character too!

Hope you give this a go and you love it as much as me! xxx
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My other favorite book ever is the Harry Potter Series. True Story. They are epicly awesome. Easy read. GREAT writing. I am having a hard time picking anything up to read after that because the writing can't compare.

And I like the Temperance Brennan series from Kathy Reich (I think that's how you spell her last name). She is also a great writer, and the stories move fast and have a great plot and story line.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

THIS :)
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I second that motion.
  • the_energy
    Options
    ANYTHING by Terry Pratchet :) Discworld books are set in a fantasy world but Pratchett is a witty and satirical writer. You'll laugh out loud.
    Specifically any book with the Death character in, Start with Mort, and move onto Soul Music. Binky is an amazing character too!

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Anything by Dr Suess.

I was so going to say...every child should read Suess!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Easy. 1984. Hands down, my favorite book ever.

Oh, this one was epic too! I'm such a book worm!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

I'm mostly talking about how everyone dies horrible deaths for moments of weakness, a supreme being with confidence issues playing with his greatest follower by torturing him, and justifications for horrendous crimes.

But yea! Compared to all of that, Mary M. seems like a saint! I'd drink a beer with her, for sure!
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Mort is awesome. I love terry pratchett. Good omens is ridiculously great as well. Again - off the wall humor kind of thing.

Another great one -- Good Omens. Wish they'd make that one into a movie.
  • the_energy
    Options
    I love how people use no offence to to mean "you are not allowed to be offended by the offensive thing I about to say".
  • SirKelsalot
    Options

OMG yes <3 I love the Discworld series - so hilarious, witty, and brilliantly realised as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

I'm mostly talking about how everyone dies horrible deaths for moments of weakness, a supreme being with confidence issues playing with his greatest follower by torturing him, and justifications for horrendous crimes.

But yea! Compared to all of that, Mary M. seems like a saint! I'd drink a beer with her, for sure!

That sounds like Hamlet.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The Book Thief

or

The Life of Pi

They're both easy to read and engaging and oh so good :]
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Les Miserables-Victor Hugo.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The Stand and The Talisman both by Stephen King. I've read both about 5 times.

Hmmm, now I want to read again.