How did you meet your significant other?

Options
jaramae
jaramae Posts: 100 Member
I was just curious as to how most people find their partner these days as i'm only really starting out in the dating world and frankly feel a little lost lol

I know a lot of typical answers will be work, school, online, at a bar but if you cen be more specific, it'd be interesting to know (i.e. during my 3rd year chem class, during a christmas office party, at a club while celebrating a gf's birthday)

:)

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I met him in middle school, about 10-11 years ago. I didn't like him then, but now he's the love of my life :)
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Met my husband online six years ago through a Star Trek website. It was sort of an early facebook but for sci fi type fans. He sent me something that is the equivalent of a poke and we got talking. Eventually we moved from messages to skype and phone calls then met up a few times and a few months later were officially dating.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I would throw up an "anyone want to go fishing" thread about once or twice a month on a local forum we both posted.

She said she wanted to go...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We met at work but bonded through Call of Duty... He had me at "What's your K/D ratio?" *swoon*
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Met my bf at a friend's bday party held at a bar/restaruant. I thought he was cute when I first got there, but I retreated to another table. Later in the night I flirted a bit and he bought me a drink. We spent the rest of the night talking. I befriended him on facebook the next day and within an hour he sent me a message asking me out for coffee.
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on saltwaterreptiles(Local reptile forum) it was 2 AM and we were the only two people on so I messaged him and said hi I see your online. we started PMing then talking on MSN then on the phone. seven years later we are married, Breeding snakes together and blissfully happy :)
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    On a white water kayaking instructional 5 years ago-still in love with him and the sport!!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    She was a cook at a restaurant in Kunsan city Korea. I was stationed there with the Air Force. I told my Dad, I met the girl I'm going to marry and she is a cook" He said "Good, love gets old, sex gets old but you're ALWAYS going to be hungry" lol:tongue:
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    She was a cook at a restaurant in Kunsan city Korea. I was stationed there with the Air Force. I told my Dad, I met the girl I'm going to marry and she is a cook" He said "Good, love gets old, sex gets old but you're ALWAYS going to be hungry" lol:tongue:

LOL that's awesome!
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Specifically, on yahoo personals (and I'm not even sure if that is around anymore, I think match and eharmony have a stronghold on the market ). I was actually dating someone when he emailed me, and I didn't respond for close to a month, until I realized the guy I was with was a total and utter douche so I emailed him back- we had one online chat, one or two phone calls, met up for a date that Friday, and have been together ever since. If I can give one piece of advice about online dating is don't drag it out and do months of online chatting- establish contact and if the attraction is there, meet for a drink of coffee. I think the reason online dating kind of has a bad rap is people build these false relationships based around excessive chats and perfect-lighting photos and feel that they've built up a 'perfect' version of themselves that will never hold up to the real deal. If you don't give yourself time to do that, then it's just like any other date.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'll let ya know when I met him! LOL!! Just had to say that:laugh:
  • sicoe17
    sicoe17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We went to preschool together, but we didn't really meet untill the first day of freshman year (high school). We've been best friends for 12 years and married almost 4.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through a friend I was going to school with. She talked about how I was working full time, going to school full time, all while raising my son alone. He said he just had to meet me. I put it off for a few weeks not thinking much about it. Finally I had to see this guy that was clamoring to meet me. We spent the whole night talking about so many different things. It was awesome! I had never had a connection with any man like that ever. We have been together ever since. That was seventeen years ago!
  • this_is_my_year
    this_is_my_year Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend through my housemate at uni. At the time I was dating someone but wasn't really happy, he came round the house and I thought he was cute. I left uni that year and didnt see him again for about six or seven months. I had started dating someone online after the breakup of my original relationship.
    I met him again at a bar with friends and we started talking, he sat on my knee while we were playing pool and made me laugh. We started talking on Facebook and after a couple of months chatting as friends I broke off with the online relationship I was having at the time and agreed to go on a few dates.
    We first kissed in the corner of a little pub while Jimi Hendrix was playing. We've been together ever since. :)
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Met him at a night club after a messy seperation/divorce with my ex! Love at first sight!
  • mommybambi
    mommybambi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We worked at the same nursing home. He was an aide and I worked in activities. I took every opportunity to flirt with him but wasn't sure he was getting the hint. My coworker/friend then made a more direct statement to him of how I might be interested. He finally got up the nerve and we exchanged numbers and started dating after that and were engaged 6 weeks later. We got married 6 months later and have been married 14 and a half years.
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    myspace, 7 years ago
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    He lived across the road from me and my ex...so we ran away together and got married.
  • Erica_Rae
    Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    He was one of my EX's best friends... I know that sounds bad, but if you've ever met my ex, you'd understand. There's a reason why my boyfriend and all of their other friends would rather spend time with me than with him! He totally deserved it and had extreme anger issues!! It's just awkward when people ask "how did you two meet?"
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    I met my husband in a yahoo chatroom.... we talked as friends for over a year... he came to visit and never left.... I got pregnant and we got married.... 10 years later.... and 3 daughters later... he is still the love of my life :love: