iPhone 5?

Options

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I would so get one if I could financially. Love my 4S and know that the 5 will be even better.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As my girlfriend puts it. "An iDiot phone is what I bought for my 70 year old mother."

As for me, I'm a geek. I like to tinker, and I don't like someone telling me what I can and cannot do with my hardware. I've rooted every smart phone I've ever had, the S3 is the only one I have loaded a custom ROM on... Yet.

But choose the tool that suits your needs the best. If you're satisfied with the restrictive nature of the iphone, or you have a ton of money invested in music through itunes then stick with the fruity company. If you want to be able to tweak, tinker, and experiment, go with the little green robots. What really matters is what you like best, and nothing else.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    All the people on here saying that apple and iphones suck have probably never owned one. They are the same price as the newest Droids and, in my opinion, are way better. They more user friendly, have better cameras, screen quality, and if you own other apple products the benefits are even greater. I have had quite a few smart phones, including droids and iphones, and my iphones always last longer and work better after a year of having them. Would I recommend getting the iPhone 5 tho? Probably not. You can get the 4S for half the cost now and it's essentially the same thing. I would not recommend anything with the android os tho. Personal preference maybe, but all my Droids stopped working or had to be repaired within the first year of owning them.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I currently have an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and honestly I wouldn't even be upgrading if my home button wasn't starting to die. It is a hardware issue, not software. I actually thought about just upgrading to the 4S since it would be cheaper, but I decided just to get the 5. My wife basically said "Just get the latest one. It is not like we are poor or something". So I did.

As far as comparing the 5 to the S3, it is pretty much just talk. Saying the S3 is "better" is subjective when comparing to a product that none of us have even used yet.

I have had a Blackberry, HTC, iPhone (3GS and 4) and other various smart phones from Motorola, Sony, etc. They all have their pros and cons, but in the end it is what you want and how it works for you.

For me, it is about the apps. No one can dispute this, iTunes by far has more apps than the Andriod Market (Now called Google play I think). And it is not so much the number of apps, but the quality of apps as well. Love or hate Apple, they force developers to produce apps under a certain guideline and if it is not up to par, it is not released on iTune.

Comparing 2 phones I actually have in my hands, the HTC has "better" hardware than my current iPhone 4. I play words with friends on both phones. I find the movement of tiles not as smooth on the HTC and an overall better experience on the iPhone.

The reason for this is because developers have to create apps for the lowest common denominator. With so many different phones running Andriod OS with varying hardware, they cannot create apps optimized for a specific hardware. For iPhones, there is basically 2 phones. 4 and 4S (support for 3GS and older was dropped a long time ago). This allows more focused development of software.

This is basically the same reason why software tends to "run better" on MAC versus the same product on a Windows PC.

Now I am not an Apple Zombie and I don't thing just because it has an Apple logo on it, it has to be the best thing out there. And you will never catch me spending over 2k for a MACBook Pro laptop when a $700 HP laptop has far better hardware specs. I am actually a Linux guy and Linux runs great on even a $200 laptop. But Apple did it right when it came to the iPhone and for the most part, the iPod; which pretty much killed every other MP3 player out there.

A buddy of mine had the iPhone 4S, it broke and of course the 5 was not out yet. He read all the claims online that the S3 was "the next best this that is already here" and got it. He did like the speed and features, but for some reason he is not happy with it and wants to switch back to the iPhone ASAP. I have not personally played with the S3 so I can't say for sure what is so wrong with it, but my friend is one of those "Apple Zombies" so it is probably just keeping him up at night knowing he doesn't have an iPhone. Oh well....
  • ays_v2
    Options
    Anyone getting one? I am desperate need of a new phone but don't know if I should trust the new iPhone 5.

Any opinions would be great!

i will be getting one, my only concern is that this app will work on that aswell! :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I got my first iphone and it's a 4s. They sell them unlocked at the Apple store here in Hong Kong.

I only got it because of the app-availability for Cantonese learning and for the apple care. I really like it though :)

Not planning on upgrading, but I do wish I had known to wait for the iphone 5~but I still really like my phone esp. compared to my last one (a Japanese Softbank White phone 740sc lol...no internet, games, weather, special ringtones etc.) Even the English - Japanese - English dictionary was horrible.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    For me, it is about the apps. No one can dispute this, iTunes by far has more apps than the Andriod Market (Now called Google play I think). And it is not so much the number of apps, but the quality of apps as well. Love or hate Apple, they force developers to produce apps under a certain guideline and if it is not up to par, it is not released on iTune.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out. I may have liked my other phone for the physical keyboard but the bottom line is the apps.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    As someone who actually works in technology reviewing and testing products such as this, I would not go for the iPhone 5. If you've NEVER had an iPhone then I would suggest going for the 4S if you really want one. It's cheaper and as someone else mentioned with the iOS 6 update will do the same thing. The only improvements from the 4S to the 5 is it has a thinner body, bigger screen and a different camera. It's really not worth it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    For all of you saying there are no changes on the new phone, nearly every feature on the iPhone 5 was upgraded:
    -Longer screen
    -Thinner phone
    -4G LTE (faster internet connection)
    -Processor runs twice as fast
    -Screen has better color reproduction
    -Front-facing camera captures high-def video now (720p)
    -Battery adds two more hours of web browsing
    -The camera is among the best ever put into a phone. Its lowlight shots blow away the same efforts from an iPhone 4S. Its shot-to-shot times have been improved by 40 percent. And you can take stills even while recording video (1080p hi-def, of course).
    -There’s a new panorama mode for the camera, too, that comes in handy more often than you might expect. As you swing the phone around you, it stitches many shots together into a seamless, ultra-wide-angle, 28-megapixel photo. Unlike other apps and phones with panorama modes, this one is fully automated and offers a preview of the panorama that materializes as you’re taking it

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iphone-5-scores-well-quibble-103009067.html

I have a droid right now (which I hate), but on Friday my new iPhone 5 will be delivered and I'm super excited. I was eligible for an upgrade, so I held off until the release.

All those comparisons are with previous iPhones. Not the best camera ever on a phone - the best on an iPhone, which isn't hard to top! Nokia have always had the best cameras with high megapixels and the Carl Zeiss Lenses they use in certain models.

Panorama has been available since forever as an app and is available on Android as well - as a free app - as most apps are on Android.

jhyan covered all the main points.

I'd also add though that Apple used to have a phone that was way ahead of the competition, but they have hardly changed in the last 5 years. Other phone manufacturers have taken over now and the only reasons to stay with Apple are being locked in due to having accessories/file formats etc or being scared of change.

Basically you are getting an inferior phone and paying twice as much for the privilege.

I have one as a work phone and it is great at logging into the work's VPN using ipsec which you can't do on android gingerbread (don't know if they've fixed it since) without rooting. It connects better to Outlook Webmail as well. Those are the only ways it beats my Android, and my Android is old now!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Comparing 2 phones I actually have in my hands, the HTC has "better" hardware than my current iPhone 4. I play words with friends on both phones. I find the movement of tiles not as smooth on the HTC and an overall better experience on the iPhone.

The reason for this is because developers have to create apps for the lowest common denominator. With so many different phones running Andriod OS with varying hardware, they cannot create apps optimized for a specific hardware. For iPhones, there is basically 2 phones. 4 and 4S (support for 3GS and older was dropped a long time ago). This allows more focused development of software.

This is one thing I agree on and have said for years - however I believe Android are going to be setting guidelines for minimum specs to try and combat this.

That is the problem that manufacturers can put out crappy phones and the OS gets the bad rep.

I know people who bought an HTC Wildfire and won't go back to Android again.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    The iphone 5 is not a huge leap forwards at all sadly. I expected more from Apple and this isnt it.

I've had a number of iphones, (from the first up to the 4), but I'm now on Android. Reason is because you get more for your money. The phone I have is more powerful, cheaper, less restricted and has a better camera.

I also do not like the way that Apple are suing the opposition in what appears to be a desperate attempt to crush them and prevent people having any kind of choice. Its as a consequence of their litigious nature that I've decided that Apple can go to hell. That and their product line has never been particular green or beneficial to the world and Steve Jobs never (to my knowledge) gave a cent to charity. They've become what Microsoft used to be and that in my eyes is not a good thing.

So, although the iphone 5 is better than the 4S, (more powerful cpu, better camera, 4g) it is not the best phone out there.

It is restricted in what you can do with it (some people consider this a bonus - its harder to "break it"). You have to use itunes (which is WAY overdue a decent burial, never mind an overhaul) to put anything on it. They changed the interface to it so you have to buy an adaptor ($30) or new accessories. This new adaptor also does not support "ipod out" which is used in many cars. Why not use micro USB? Their camera is not as good as other's out there. You cant change the battery. They decide when and if your phone is obsolete (1,2 and 3) even if you're happy with it. It does not have NFC... God knows why. Maybe Apple dont want that to work out either. Apple's map feature (they no longer use Google Maps) is a lot worse than Google maps. Finally, iOS6, is not all that. there is not as much you can do with it compared to the android OS. However, it does tend to do the little is does better.

And this is from someone with a macbook, ipod(s), ipad 3 and iphones. I wont be getting anything else from them. They are over priced for what they are now and Apple are in serious risk of losing their way (further). The advantage of Steve Jobs was his showmanship was able to detract from the fact that apple was becoming more style than substance.

that said, millions will buy the 5 as they think it looks cool.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

This is one thing I agree on and have said for years - however I believe Android are going to be setting guidelines for minimum specs to try and combat this.

That is the problem that manufacturers can put out crappy phones and the OS gets the bad rep.

I know people who bought an HTC Wildfire and won't go back to Android again.
    Yup. If people started off with a Samsung Galaxy, they'd love Android.
  • Ro0kin
    Ro0kin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm getting an iPhone 5.

I just checked on the tracking status and mine is currently sitting in a depot in leeds. :smile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Switched to Android/Google this summer and couldn't be happier!

Once again, Apple is causing problems for me at work. The Apple followers in our PC based business are acting like the world is ending because certain products are not ready for use with the iPhone 5. Our members are blaming us when we have our hands tied by Apple.

God I hate Apple... :explode:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I personally like to step outside the box.. I don't like to follow the masses. There are a ton of good phones out there. I am not entirely impressed with the iphone... Snooorr

Yep, it's a trendy vanity product. :laugh:
  • kleptonooch
    Options
    there is nothing new in an iphone 5 that others don't have already (except for the micro sim, and a locked in eco system), and apple are very very good at marketing, save your cash and go for an android phone, not as hip or cool I suppose but it does the job well enough if you don't have money burning a hole in your pocket. I call it the iSheep! :laugh:

Wow, iSheep... that's original. I love it when people make choices based on their own personal preferences and when they don't mesh with other's decisions, they're suddenly idiots or "sheep". For me, I actually PREFER a locked-down eco system. I go through enough BS with our family's PCs, I don't need to have another thing to worry about and "manage". Also, it's one thing for my PC to get a virus and be out of commission for a day or two for repairs. Can you imagine your phone getting a virus? It would be my luck that that would be the exact moment I accidentally drove off a cliff and actually NEEDED it to call 911. Android allows for sideloading unsigned and potentially virus-ridden, malicious apps and for that reason alone, I will never own an Android phone, nor will any of my family.
  • kleptonooch
    Options
    As my girlfriend puts it. "An iDiot phone is what I bought for my 70 year old mother."

As for me, I'm a geek. I like to tinker, and I don't like someone telling me what I can and cannot do with my hardware. I've rooted every smart phone I've ever had, the S3 is the only one I have loaded a custom ROM on... Yet.

But choose the tool that suits your needs the best. If you're satisfied with the restrictive nature of the iphone, or you have a ton of money invested in music through itunes then stick with the fruity company. If you want to be able to tweak, tinker, and experiment, go with the little green robots. What really matters is what you like best, and nothing else.

Yes, you are a geek
  • kleptonooch
    Options
    Switched to Android/Google this summer and couldn't be happier!

Once again, Apple is causing problems for me at work. The Apple followers in our PC based business are acting like the world is ending because certain products are not ready for use with the iPhone 5. Our members are blaming us when we have our hands tied by Apple.

God I hate Apple... :explode:

Hahahah -- you should try pulling that brick of a phone out of your back pocket. You may realize you lost more than 32 lbs.!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    For me, I actually PREFER a locked-down eco system. I go through enough BS with our family's PCs, I don't need to have another thing to worry about and "manage". Also, it's one thing for my PC to get a virus and be out of commission for a day or two for repairs. Can you imagine your phone getting a virus? It would be my luck that that would be the exact moment I accidentally drove off a cliff and actually NEEDED it to call 911. Android allows for sideloading unsigned and potentially virus-ridden, malicious apps and for that reason alone, I will never own an Android phone, nor will any of my family.

I take your point and overall an iphone is currently more secure. However, a jailbroken iPhone also allows unsigned and potentially virus ridden malicious apps to be installed to it. However, Apple deny that its possible to get a virus on an iPhone because of the app store. Its not that iPhones are immune to viruses, its that the app stores is rigourously checked... as is the Android store these days (possibly not as rigourously, I dont know). If you go outside of that store (i.e. jailbreak, email executables, Dropbox, MobileMe), then it is very possible to get a virus.

Even with the fact that Apple check their apps throroughly, there have been apps in the App Store that have been spyware. In fact its been observed that there are security flaws in the iOS sofware that allow for the harvesting of user information which has resulted in security experts suggesting that a jailbroken iPhone is more secure in this regard (iOS 6 may address these flaws, I dont know enough about its internals to be able to comment).

Proof that the threat is out there (spyware from apps and viruses from external sources / email), comes from the fact that you can purchase AV / Anti-virus software for the iPhone. Also, Apple routinely withdraws apps from their store (after they've been on there for some time in some cases) when they - for instance - discover vulnerabilities in the application, such as occurred with the inital release of Angry Birds.

There IS a (lot) less chance of a virus on an iphone, but that doesnt mean its not possible. Certainly, spyware exists and is a problem. Its a bit like a mac vs a PC. Macs tend to get less viruses, but their not invulnerable (which is why Apple now include a virus checker with Mountain Lion and which is why the world's biggest ever botnet was on Apple Macs).

Oh and on an Android you have to tick the box to allow unsigned applications to be installed. If you do so, then you take the risk. If you dont, then they cant install. I ticked it on my droid in order to install a piece of software I needed that wasnt in the store. That was convenient. I then unticked it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that Apple is one helluva marketing company and folks are going to line up and fork over mega cash for the same phone they had last year.

Get an android and use it for three years like the rest of us not-rich people.

To add to this - if you have an iPhone 4S ALL the software peeps are saying just do the upgrade on your phone and voila you have an iPhone 5!

Umm, Not.

The iPhone 5 is 4G, where as the 4S is still 3G. The new iPhone is lighter and a larger display also.

Those are just a couple of differences.