Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I disagree on this I do not like any rifle for home defense. I want the round to stop in the bad guy not the neighbors house. I realize that they make home defense rounds. but it is hard to beat a 12ga for a HD weapon.

I tend to agree with this ( shot gun vs rifle for in home defense). Ive been contemplating the Taurus Judge. 45/410 for this reason.
    I would recommend against the Judge for defense. But I'm not going to go into an argument about external and terminal ballistics as I have just been informed by a previous poster that this is a fitness site.
  • Vragis
    Options
    A .22 is garbage for self defense. Especially to a big person or someone on drugs, it's like a bee sting. The minimum I would ever recommend (and the NRA would back me on this) for self defense is a .38. I have a Glock .40 that I am VERY happy with and use as my self defense pistol.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people who vehemently oppose a topic (llike guns), step into a room full of supporters thinking they will single-handedly change our minds on a topic because of their distorted views. I think on this particular topic, they may be better off wandering into a Vegan/ Vegetarian/ Carnivore lover's thread and changing minds there instead.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    a good question to ask yourself is ... " do you want something that will just stop an attacker "? or do you " want something that will blow a hole six inches wide in an attacker"? In other words, do you wanna stop an attacker or kill the attacker? All guns can kill but your more likely to blow a hole through someone with a .357 than a .22. Can you live with the fact you killed someone? BTW it doesnt do you any good if you cant control your weapon, sometimes lighter and smaller is the best way to go.
  • lrainaud
    Options
    I agree, the .357 is a lot of gun. I'm an active, strong woman and it's too much gun for me. I just got a Smith & Wesson 38 Special Bodyguard and I love it. I needed something to have at home, as well as take hiking and backpacking. It's light enough to carry right next to my bear spray.

Go down to your local gun shop and work with the experts there to find just the right gun for you. You need to see how it 'feels' in your hand. Use their expert knowledge, that's what they are there for.:smile:

Good luck!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:

It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.
  • _JR_
    Options
    A .22 is garbage for self defense. Especially to a big person or someone on drugs, it's like a bee sting. The minimum I would ever recommend (and the NRA would back me on this) for self defense is a .38. I have a Glock .40 that I am VERY happy with and use as my self defense pistol.

Millions of people have been killed with a .22. I sure as hell would back off if .22 rounds were coming my way.

People of all shapes and sizes survive GSWs from every caliber. Emergency room studies place lethality on shot placement over caliber size. It's no good to have a .40, .45, or 9mm, if your petite significant other is afraid to shoot it. :smile:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    a good question to ask yourself is ... " do you want something that will just stop an attacker "? or do you " want something that will blow a hole six inches wide in an attacker"? In other words, do you wanna stop an attacker or kill the attacker? All guns can kill but your more likely to blow a hole through someone with a .357 than a .22. Can you live with the fact you killed someone? BTW it doesnt do you any good if you cant control your weapon, sometimes lighter and smaller is the best way to go.

You best be blowing a hole clean through someone if you're shooting at someone. Too many sue happy people suing people after breaking into their homes and getting hurt. No maiming.
  • triggerpuller702
    Options
    i've been shot (war, not a thug!) and i assure you, if you are shot with a 22 or 380 at self defense range you'll know it. people who say 'it's got no stopping power' are firearm equivalents to meatheads in the gym. a nice, compact 380 like the walther ppk or the sw bodyguard will do you just fine for a vehicle or simple home defense weapon. with that said, a 9mm is a good all around choice. cheap, easy to get in compact, and you can use it at the range at longer distances. i personally leave a ppk in my glove box and carry my issued side arm sig 229 9mm off duty pretty much all the time. i also own a glock 17 which is an excellent weapon although i do not like glocks personally.

btw i didn't mention revolvers because i have seen a child get their hands on one and shoot themsleves. many do not have safety mechanisms so all it'll take is a pull of the trigger and that's it. at least with the sa/da's if there's no physical safety you can insert the magazine and not chamber a round. kids are slick, they get to things they're not supposed to even when precautions are taken. just something to consider.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:

I'm offended by your offense.

I didn't say I was offended, I said it was disconcerting. And I'm sorry to everyone that annoyed, but...

For many of us in countries where gun ownership is not legal or not common, the only time we come across guns is when we read in the papers of someone going on a killing spree - which leads us to associate them with blood and violence and grief. Which in the context of a health forum, is a bit unexpected and disconcerting. .

However, it is interesting from a cultural perspective to see how very normal this kind of chat is to Americans - different countries, different norms.
  • carriempls
    Options
    So... you're basically all Americans right?

Not all Americans are so crazy, though. I find this entire thread utterly bizarre. It's so uncommon. I don't associate with anyone who owns a gun or thinks they might possibly need one for any kind of protection.
  • _JR_
    Options

It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

You have no idea how many rapes are prevented every day because of a firearm, do you? A firearm makes a 100 pound woman just a powerful as a 250 aggressive man. Bad guys are everywhere. They are an evil necessity.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

I am looking to purchase a .22 revolver, more specifically a Ruger (the exact model escapes me right now). I shoot well with those, they're not big or bulky, and they don't have a lot of kick. As a comparison I recently shot a .22 Ruger semi-automatic and thought it had too much kick because it's too light. Personally I don't want anything bigger than a .22 because my reason for owning one is recreational shooting and personal protection. I don't want to kill anyone, just stop them from hurting/killing me or anyone else, and we don't have big bears or anything that will get pissed off by being shot with a .22!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You could get way overwhelmed with the choices to pick a gun for yourself.

You'll need to ask yourself those questions.

Could you picture yourself to kill someone when you are under an immediately danger? If yes then you are on the right track. If not, calling 911 is your friend for now.

The size of gun and weight. You need to put that in the consideration. I am sure you don't want to carry the "brick" of Glock 30 around with you. You would want to carry a light gun so it won't be a burdensome for you.

You will need to pick up the gun and aim at the target quickest as possible to see if the gun is for you (less than 1 sec). If you couldn't aim it well then maybe that gun isn't for you. 99.9% of the time you'll grab the gun and shoot. There won't be a time to give you a 10 seconds to pick up the gun, take safety off (if there is one), take an aim, a breathe, then pull the trigger. It will be all sudden incident, so you might want to put that in your mind.

Could you maintenance the gun easily? If you couldn't maintence it then it isn't for you. Is it expensive to maintenance it? Kimber and 1911 are very expensive to maintenance them. You will have to keep it cleaned and lubed. They are like Ferrari while Glock is like Honda. With Glock, you could shoot 15,000 without cleaning it and it still going strong without a problem. There are several youtubes on that.

Could you afford to feed the bullets to the gun? 10mm, .45 ACP, .357 SIG are the most expensive calibers to feed, unless you reloads.

I strongly recommend you to buy a Glock gun. You could find $400 used Glock 19 easily out there. Glock has only one safety and that is the trigger. If you don't touch the trigger then it is safe. I personally don't like the safety switch on the guns because it takes up one valuable second to switch the safety off during the very critical monment. You might have forgot to turn the safety off during the most valuable monment of your life. There are many incidents that could have saved their life if there wasn't a safety on their guns. There are many professional gun comptiters that forgot to turn the safety off during the comptitietions. That is something you need to consider with the purchase of a gun.

Glock is like an AK-47 in many ways. It is extremely easy to maintenance. There are many modifications to the gun in the market. You could shoot several calibers in a specific Glock model. For example with Glock 30, you could shooot 9mm, .357 sig, .40, 10mm in that model.

The bottom line is that you need to find the gun that you could shoot without considering the gun's safety, fumbling around with it, and very ease to aim and shoot.

Always, when you have to shoot at someone, shoot to kill.
  • carriempls
    Options

I'm offended by your offense.

I didn't say I was offended, I said it was disconcerting. And I'm sorry to everyone that annoyed, but...

For many of us in countries where gun ownership is not legal or not common, the only time we come across guns is when we read in the papers of someone going on a killing spree - which leads us to associate them with blood and violence and grief. Which in the context of a health forum, is a bit unexpected and disconcerting. .

However, it is interesting from a cultural perspective to see how very normal this kind of chat is to Americans - different countries, different norms.

I'm American and it's not normal to me at all.
  • _JR_
    Options
    So... you're basically all Americans right?

Not all Americans are so crazy, though. I find this entire thread utterly bizarre. It's so uncommon. I don't associate with anyone who owns a gun or thinks they might possibly need one for any kind of protection.

If it bothers you, why are you in here? Hopefully, it's to get an education, and have an open mind.
  • cougfn69
    cougfn69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am suprised that no one has suggested an FN Five Seven. they meet your requirements but they are pretty expensive. could be hard to find too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven
  • OlsenG318
    Options
    There's some good advice in this thread, I'll just throw in a few tidbits and recommendations.

Stick with the established names in handguns. That means Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Glock, Sig Sauer, Springfield, HK, CZ, and Beretta.

I would NEVER recommend the following brands for self defense: Jennings, Star, Taurus, Lorcin, Phoenix, Davis, Bryco, Jiminez, Raven, Charter Arms, and Hi-Point (I know Hi-Points can be reliable, but they're ungodly heavy and awkward. Taurus and Charter Arms have terrible track records for reliability. I experienced that firsthand. The others are total garbage)

I wouldn't recommend a 1911 to a beginner, hence the reason many 1911 manufacturers weren't mentioned above. They are finicky beasts and their magazines are even more temperamental, especially with hollow points.

9mm or 38 special is the smallest I'd consider for concealed carry. My personal carry guns are chambered in 9mm,9mm, .357mag, .45acp, and .45acp.

Home defense is a whole different ballgame, there's no need for concealment so feel free to go big. The 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun is popular for good reason. My bump-in-the-night guns include an AR-15 and Springfield XD-45 Tactical, both wear weaponlights to identify and blind the intruder.

I know a few manufacturers have come out with uber-compact .380's in recent years, but they generally have miniscule sights, low capacity, kick way too much for their power output, and they have such strong recoil springs people have a difficult time racking the slide.

Hopefully some of that helps. Feel free to message me with any questions/comments.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Hi

From the UK here and am genuinely curious to hear you all talk so casually and knowledgeably about guns. This is a foreign concept to us over here, am I to take it that the average American out on the street is carrying a gun?
    Without going into the wrongs and rights of this, I find this a scary thought. I don't think I would like to live in a society where I felt threatened enough to feel I needed a gun. Just my perspective from the other side of the pond...
    Technically, your society is why Americans have guns... and a Constitution... and George Washington on our money.

So, thanks.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

He would be leaving in a body bag.
This discussion has been closed.