Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

In the United States over a million people ever year are victims of violent crime.

Self-defense is clearly necessary, and a firearm is one of the few tools that can put the weakest person on an equal footing with nearly any attacker.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I was raped when I was 9 years old, I am glad some of you find the idea so hilarious

edited because not all of you are *kitten*
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    An AR15 for HOME DEFENSE? Are you sure? Because I think that would be fairly dangerous to anyone in an adjacent room or apartment, please correct me if I am wrong. The glock 19 or a shotgun I could definitely understand with some 00 shot in there most likely wouldn't go through several walls. Where as an AR15 would go through a few walls...

This is actually a fairly dangerous assumption.

The fact is, just about any firearm will shoot through several layers of sheet rock. In fact, unless you have a brick home or get lucky and hit a stud in a wall, just about any firearm will shoot right through one side of a house and out the other side.

A shotgun will easily shoot through 7 layers of sheet rock. That is 3 and a half interior walls. I don't think there is any room in my house with 3 walls between it and any other part of the house.

Isn't an AR-15 round meant to tumble violently upon initial impact, and then fragment? Wouldn't this become less lethal faster than, say a .45 ball round?

I'm genuinely curious on this topic.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have been reading with a mixture of fear and amusement at some of the comments reguarding the .22.

Now, I can tell you flat out that not everyone simply "drops" after getting shot. While I am reading a lot about how different people are wonderful shots and have years of experience (nothing wrong with that), I am willing to bet that I am one of the small minority on here with actual combat experience.
    I have been witness to people getting hit multiple times with .223 (M-16) and not even slow down.
    I have also seen the damage that a .22 round causes once it bounces around a bit inside of the torso.
    Will a .22 bounce off a leather jacket? Maybe.
    Will someone who is a crack shot with a 9MM end up in a panic and pumping out 14 rounds without hitting anything? Maybe.

I carry my .22 for one reason. I can keep it in my pocket right next to my cell phone. I cannot carry my Magnum at work and keep it tucked under my shirt.

I am NOT a big fan of semi automatics for the simple reason that, in a panic, you have to either chamber a round or take the safety off (I know there are a few with double trigger safetys). When you are scared, you tend to forget the most basic things. Again, I speak from experience.
    It is very difficuly to replicate that kind of fear even in the best training environments.

With that said, let the debates continue.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

In the United States over a million people ever year are victims of violent crime.

Self-defense is clearly necessary, and a firearm is one of the few tools that can put the weakest person on an equal footing with nearly any attacker.

Plus, they're a whole lot of fun to shoot.
  • _JR_
    Options
    I'm no history buff, but didn't the US bring their guns to a little island's defense back in the early '40s?
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    are you talking home defense? my suggestion for a home is a shotgun. If you have ever tried firing a pistol at night, you know it's tough to hit the target. Throw in darkness, fear and noise, and you have increased the odds of missing. Shot gun covers more area and less penetration of adjoining walls, ie bedrooms where kids may be sleeping. Just my suggestion. For a personal weapon to carry, I like a 9mm because we used them in the service and I am comfortable and competent with it.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was raped when I was 9 years old, I am glad you all find the idea so hilarious
    They do not find the rape hilarious. They find the naive post of educating men not to rape ridiculous. As a rape victim, I get it.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Wondering if I should take that class.

Then you'd just go back to stealing televisions, right?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I was raped when I was 9 years old, I am glad some of you find the idea so hilarious

Imagine if a passer-by had a gun and dropped your attacker. Bet you wouldn't have minded that would you?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I'm no history buff, but didn't the US bring their guns to a little island's defense back in the early '40s?

That was before that little island started regulating guns. We wouldn't be allowed to do that now with their current laws.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    An AR15 for HOME DEFENSE? Are you sure? Because I think that would be fairly dangerous to anyone in an adjacent room or apartment, please correct me if I am wrong. The glock 19 or a shotgun I could definitely understand with some 00 shot in there most likely wouldn't go through several walls. Where as an AR15 would go through a few walls...

The fact is, just about any firearm will shoot through several layers of sheet rock. In fact, unless you have a brick home or get lucky and hit a stud in a wall, just about any firearm will shoot right through one side of a house and out the other side.

A shotgun will easily shoot through 7 layers of sheet rock. That is 3 and a half interior walls. I don't think there is any room in my house with 3 walls between it and any other part of the house.

Isn't an AR-15 round meant to tumble violently upon initial impact, and then fragment? Wouldn't this become less lethal faster than, say a .45 ball round?

It depends on the round.
    some will fragment upon impact while other types of rounds will pass right thru the target and only leave a little hole. Not even any knock down power.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Hmmm. Wondering if I should take that class.

Then you'd just go back to stealing televisions, right?

Maybe. Depends on how good the class is.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I was raped when I was 9 years old, I am glad you all find the idea so hilarious
    They do not find the rape hilarious. They find the naive post of educating men not to rape ridiculous. As a rape victim, I get it.

This.

Rape is not a laughing matter. However, insisting that we just need to educate men not to rape is a complete laughing matter and you should be publicly mock for saying such.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

Well, sure. In fact, all violent crime can be prevented by teaching people not to be violent to other people.

But the fact remains that people have been violent to other people throughout all recorded history. And every year in the United States over a million people are victims of violent crime, including rape.

Now, there are risks associated with owning firearms. There is a risk of accident, either by you or your family members. There is a risk of it being stolen or used against you. There is a risk of using it for suicide.

And in fact your risk of being a victim of violent crime is very low.

But many people have decided it is better to be prepared and not need a gun than to be unprepared and find you need one. In the United States, we have that freedom.
  • _JR_
    Options

It depends on the round.
    some will fragment upon impact while other types of rounds will pass right thru the target and only leave a little hole. Not even any knock down power.

Now that I think of it, I recall an article about the .223 in Vietnam, just ice-picking the Vietnamese soldiers, because they didn't possess enough body mass for the round to start tumbling.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

I would recommend a Glock 26. It's small, concealable, not a lot of kick, easy to handle and it's a semi-auto .9mm. That's what I have.

Also, they're not difficult to strip and clean and they're the best I've run across. I.E. I went to the range and had someone in the lane next to me laughing at the fact I had a Glock. Funny thing, mine never jammed and he was cussing almost constantly because his did.

I have a glock 26... Little chucky but I carry it inside the waist ban... great gun... also have a ruger lcp when the glock just wont work with what I am wearing...
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options

Imagine if a passer-by had a gun and dropped your attacker. Bet you wouldn't have minded that would you?

ummm a passer by without a gun would have stopped it, it was in my garden, and no I would not have wanted him shot dead, I was 9 years old, the death of this man, who was a family friend, in front of me would have traumatised me just as much as the act itself, this is one of the most thoughtless statements ever.
  • rrrobinson52
    rrrobinson52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prefer the S&W M&P .40. It is my first firearm. It has some kick, but my goal is personal protection and I am certain that the M&P will stop a treat! Go to your local gunstore that also has a range. You can rent various ones and try before you buy.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

I would recommend a Glock 26. It's small, concealable, not a lot of kick, easy to handle and it's a semi-auto .9mm. That's what I have.

Also, they're not difficult to strip and clean and they're the best I've run across. I.E. I went to the range and had someone in the lane next to me laughing at the fact I had a Glock. Funny thing, mine never jammed and he was cussing almost constantly because his did.

I have a glock 26... Little chucky but I carry it inside the waist ban... also have a ruger lcp when the glock just wont work with what I am wearing...

ooo a gun to accessorize with.

Marry me.
This discussion has been closed.