The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• duckmannh
    Options
    Fantasy reading is nice but read something with a purpose! Marathon..... by Jeff Galloway!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....

I have a funny story on the "50 Shades of Grey". I have not read the book but work in a medical clinic with 9 dr's. One nurse loaned the book to another nurse and it was sitting on her desk. Her dr saw it on her desk and put a post-it note on the book that said "dirty book". A different nurse came by and put her own post-it note on the book that said "Instruction book for men". We all got a good laugh out of it.
    [/quote]
    I certainly f@#$ing hope not.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

If you aren't an avid reader, this won't work for you....took me over 150 pages to get into it....it's like the with ALL 3 of those.

A Game of Thrones, fantastic.
    Enders Game (the sci-fi book for people who don't like sci-fi)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy (a must)

And for some seriously well done post-apocalyptic 80's throwback (can you get all the 80's references in this book?) Ready Player One by Earnest Cline. Toppled Enders Game as my favorite all time book.

Love all those books!!!! I am obsessed by Game of Thrones! If you aren't an avid reader anything by John Grisham and Sephen King are good starts.
  • au4hj2
    Options
    "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by Dave Sedaris.
  • mizziekrizzie07
    Options
    50 shades of grey for sure :P
    everyone needs a christian grey :)
  • kimchi84
    Options
    some of my favorites are dystopian novels which are :
    Ender's Game
    Mazerunner (the trilogy) by james dashner
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (it a trilogy too, book 2 just came out)
    Divergent (trilogy) by Veronica Roth
    :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    50 shades of grey for sure :P
    everyone needs a christian grey :)

Otherwise, who would tell me what and how much to eat? I'd be lost...
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I think I'm one of the only women in the world that HATES 50 Shades. My favs are the Hunger Games Trilogy. Water for Elephants is good too.

Nope. You're not.
  • katefen2
    katefen2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    C.J. Box or Lynwood Barclay are both great crime thriller writers
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

:heart:
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    (((((At KIT8806))))) I also enjoyed Mortal Instruments! If you liked that you would also enjoy The Blue fire sega serries by Scott Prussing, The Stained Series by Ella James, and I just started book two in the Midnight fire series by Kaitlyn Davis! :smile:
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    50 Shades of Grey is HORRIBLE! That said, on to my book list!

- Anything by Terry Pratchett but my fav is Good Omens which he wrote with Neil Gaimen - My hubby loves his books more than I do!
    - If you like fantasy/sci-fi with mystery thrown in - look up Tanya Huff, she writes a variety from vampires and gouls to future marines in space to fantasy medieval stuff (NOT Twilight crap)!!!
    - I liked Game of Thrones too and I've heard most guys that have read it do too :-)
    - If you haven't read any Tolkien try the Hobbit first - its way shorter than Lord of the Rings and will ease you into it!
    - Charles ****ens and Mark Twain are old fav's and Moby **** is a classic.
    - I like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books but I agree they took awhile to get to the meat of the story in each one.
    - I loved the Bourne movies (all of them) but I couldn't get into the old Robert Ludlam books, you may like them, very heavy cold war stuff - I don't know about the new ones written by a new author - I haven't checked them out.
    - George Orwell, Animal Farm or 1984
    - Fahrenheit 451 is cool and twisted

As you can tell I'm more of a classics lover :-)
    PS - I love Harry Potter and Anne Rice too but I don't think those are "heavy" reads!
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    LOL love the edits on my above post!
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i like Shakespeare plays.. and literature that normal people would find boring.

favorite is

one who flew over the cuckoo's nest
    MAN'S SEARCH FOR A MEANING!!!!
    lord of the rings trilogy & hobbit, cant forget them ;)
    and all other books i have read i love.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    50 Shades of Grey is HORRIBLE! That said, on to my book list!

- Anything by Terry Pratchett but my fav is Good Omens which he wrote with Neil Gaimen - My hubby loves his books more than I do!
    - If you like fantasy/sci-fi with mystery thrown in - look up Tanya Huff, she writes a variety from vampires and gouls to future marines in space to fantasy medieval stuff (NOT Twilight crap)!!!
    - I liked Game of Thrones too and I've heard most guys that have read it do too :-)
    - If you haven't read any Tolkien try the Hobbit first - its way shorter than Lord of the Rings and will ease you into it!
    - Charles ****ens and Mark Twain are old fav's and Moby **** is a classic.
    - I like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books but I agree they took awhile to get to the meat of the story in each one.
    - I loved the Bourne movies (all of them) but I couldn't get into the old Robert Ludlam books, you may like them, very heavy cold war stuff - I don't know about the new ones written by a new author - I haven't checked them out.
    - George Orwell, Animal Farm or 1984
    - Fahrenheit 451 is cool and twisted

As you can tell I'm more of a classics lover :-)
    PS - I love Harry Potter and Anne Rice too but I don't think those are "heavy" reads!

1984 <3
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The Life of Pi

Anything by George Orwell

Hitchikers guide was very good

Game of Thrones is amazing

Celestine Prophecies (the first one, the rest get a little preachy)

The BFG - Roald Dahl

The Lorax

Oryx and Crake & The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

Hunger Games (the movie sucked however the books are awesome)

The Iliad

Count of Monte Cristo (huge book but very easy to read)

No Logo

Wicked

Fahrenheit 451

The Scarlet Letter

A Confederacy of Dunces

The Picture of Dorian Gray

God is not Great

Brave New World

Satanic Verses

I only put a few authors name's in case you didn't recognize the title, if you want I can message you the rest of the authors
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    Siddhartha by herman hesse , the hithhikers guide to the universe, seat of the soul by gary zukov, fear and loathing in los vegas by hunter thompson, art of happiness by the dalai lama
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The stone angel by Marguerite Lawrence.....a must read....and don`t skimp and watch the movie dammit!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Siddhartha by herman hesse

Yes, that was a very good book too