Requesting all your healthy soup recipes!

Options

Replies

• RATTER33
    RATTER33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I make a terrific leek and potato soup...but I don't measure... :(

here's how I make it.

In a 5 qt dutch oven or my 4.5 qt crock-pot

Using only the white part of the leek (I only use one, but use up to 3 quarter diameter sized)
    cut in half, then fan the layers and wash Well...chop fine, saute until soft and brown I use a cooking spray or olive oil, ~1tbs

~1.5 quarts of chicken broth (fat free/low sodium)
    white potatoes cut into quarters single layer in pan or enough that broth completely covers them (5-6 med, i think)
    simmer on stove for at least 1hr (or 4-6hrs low crock pot)
    when potatoes are falling apart remove from heat and carefully mash in the broth... there should be no lumps, but should be a soupy (watery) consistency.

Add 1 to 2 cups of Fat Free half n half reheat until just warm...don't boil, it will curdle the cream!

I eat with a bit of sharp cheddar on top or plain with crusty bread. I've added bacon, sausage, broccoli to this soup as well, not a lot, don't want to take away from the leeks and potatoes.

This does not freeze well, as it is a potato dish, but is great left over

-pennie
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pbaker8307
    pbaker8307 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love soup. Need new ideas
  • fitsin10
    Options
    bumping, yummy
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bumpin' cause I love me some soup!
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Another healthy delicious soup is this from one of Ainsley Harriott's books (Gourmet Express, I think?):

Chickpea, Spinach and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons sunflower oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 sweet potato diced
    1 garlic clove thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    400 g can chickpeas drained
    2 tomatoes roughly chopped
    1 teaspoon honey
    750 ml(11/4) pints hot vegetable soup
    225 g (8 oz) young leaf spinach
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1) Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, sweet potato and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring until beginning to turn golden. Add the cumin seeds, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and honey and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.

2)Stir in the hot stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the sweet potato is tender

3) Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute stirring until the spinach wilts. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls and serve
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Another Ainsley Harriott recipe, but I suspect this one isn't quite as healthy as the previous one, but it's a delicious treat anyway:

http://wass4dinner.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/chorizo-chowder.html
  • ljl150
    ljl150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bumping in hopes of some great ideas.
  • misfit34
    misfit34 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump...it's getting cooler and this will come in handy!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Spicy Beef Vegetable Soup
    12 servings

I make this once a week. Leftovers make a great lunch. You can use chicken, turkey or even venison instead of beef. Or you can substitute 2 cans of any bean (cannellini, kidney, garbanzo) for the beef. You can use any pasta sauce (I like garden vegetable). You can also experiment with mild salsa. Try different veggie blends too. You can also use any can tomatoes. Fire roasted, Italian, stewed or just plain diced tomatoes. Delicious and very simple!

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    27 oz spaghetti sauce
    3 1/2 cups water
    16 oz. frozen mixed veggies
    10 oz. diced tomatoes and green chilies
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 tsp beef bouillon
    1 tsp pepper

To cook in Crockpot: Brown beef and onion. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8 hrs.

To cook stovetop: Brown beef and onion on medium –high heat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Nutrition Facts: Per Serving; Calories 157.55; Total Fat 5.75g; Total Carbohydrates 16.46g; Fiber 3.6g; Protein 10.35g

Amish Chicken Corn Soup
    16 Servings

Cream corn and butter add richness to this homey chicken noodle soup. It makes a big batch, but it freezes well for future meals.

Ingredients

12 cups water
    2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup shredded carrots
    3 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
    2 cups uncooked egg noodles
    1/4 cup butter (I use light butter)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

In a Dutch oven, combine the water, chicken, onion, celery, carrots and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.

Stir in the corn, noodles and butter; cook 10 minutes longer or until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 134 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.

SACRAMENTO TACO SOUP
    Serves 8 - 1 cup servings

Ingredients

1 pound skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
    2 (14.5-oz.) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (I use canned diced tomatoes)
    2 (14.5oz.) cans fat-free chicken broth
    1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies, undrained
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup green taco sauce

Directions

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
    2. Tear each tortilla half into 1-inch pieces; place 1 tortilla half in each of 8 soup bowls. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with 1 TBSP. green onions, 1 TBSP. cheese, 1 1/2 tsp. cilantro and 1 1/2 tsp. green taco sauce.

Per serving: Calories:155 Fat: 2.9g Fiber: 1.7

Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup

2 Tbsp Olive oil
    1 lb bulk Turkey Italian sausage
    1 med. Onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 Idaho potato, peeled and chopped into small dice
    2 coves garlic, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1 can [15 oz] cannellini beans, drained
    Salt, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
    1 bunch of Kale, chopped
    1 quart chicken broth
    Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

Heat a medium pot over medium–high heat. Add olive oil and sausage and , brown, crumbling with a spatula as it cooks. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, bay leaf and beans. Season with salt and peppers. Cook to begin to soften the vegetables, 5 minutes. Add kale and cook just until wilted. Add chicken broth and cover pot. Raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf, check seasonings, and serve soup with grated cheese.

Yield: 5 – 2 cup servings
  • elucke
    elucke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • 1dresch
    Options
    bump
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    this is going to be a weird one, but if you have a juicer and a bit of extra time to cook, this recipe is actually pretty healthy and very tasty.
    the reason why I call for a juicer is for the treasure trove of left over grinds when you make juice.

the fruit and vegetable mix I use to make the juice is:

3 apples
    6 celery stalks
    5 carrots
    between 5-9 leaves of kale
    3 cups of spinach
    and 4 mid size pieces of garlic.

so assuming you have those grinds, all you need is:

1 small/medium whole chicken
    2 cans of beans (you can use any type of bean you prefer)
    2 cups of diced onions
    1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
    3 cups of corn (I prefer frozen corn, or fresh cut from the cob corn, but in the can is fine too)
    2 cans of tomato paste (or 1 big can)

take the whole chicken and the boil it for 2-3 hours, or until the chicken is cooked.

take a strainer and transfer the chicken stock to another pot of container, the strainer should be catching the left over foamy chicken fat from the top.

take the chicken that was cooked and remove the skin (or keep it if you want), and with a fork just start shredding the whole chicken.

in a different soup pot (I know sounds like a hassle), set the heat on the stove to a medium to a medium high setting and use 2 tbsp of olive oil and add the diced onions and let them saute for a bit, once the onions have browned a bit, add in the grinds from the vegetables and apples that were juiced and stir while those heat in the pan.

once the onions and the vegetable grind have been heated for a good 5-9 minutes, throw in the 2 cans of drained beans and the 3 cups of corn, cilantro and the tomato paste and mix it well.

then add the chicken stock that has been strained back to the soup pot, and add the chicken shreds as well.

let the soup cook on medium-medium high for another 45 minutes, occasionally stirring here and there, and it should be ready to eat.

total time making this should be around 5-6 hours from scratch depending on the time it takes to boil the chicken, if you are to attempt this recipe, make sure you have some decent sized soup pots.
  • joy4life48
    Options
    Okay there is this website that I LOVE!! It is called Skinnytaste.com and she has tons of recipes all healthy for you. Here is an example...they are all amazing.

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: about 1 1/3 cups • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 56.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Carb: 11.4 g • Fiber: 2.6 g

1 butternut squash, about 2 cups cubed
    1 carrot, peeled
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    6 cups fat free chicken or vegetable broth
    2 garlic cloves, halved
    4 sage leaves
    1/2 cup 1% milk

salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel the squash and remove the seeds. Cut into medium size cubes.*
    In a large heavy pot, combine squash, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, sage and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes, until squash is tender.
    Discard the sage and using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add milk and adjust the salt and pepper to taste and serve. Great topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

* The easiest way to peel butternut squash is to first cut the top and bottom off the squash. Then cut the squash length wise.
  • Erica_Rae
    Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm