The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    50 shades of grey for sure :P
    everyone needs a christian grey :)
    If you ever actually had a Christian Grey, you would not want him.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ah I can't really say what everyone should read since I don't know too many people who like what I read. Hmm would reccomend "Killing me softly", "The secret smile", "Catch me when I fall" By Nikki French. Kind of twisted but a great read.

Also Joudi Piccoult books. She deals with a lot of controversial subjects and most of her books get you thinking. "My sisters keeper" is amazing (Haven't seen the film" Keeping faith", "Picture perfect" etc. I love reading.

I LOVE Jodi Piccoult! Have you read mercy?
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Running with Scissors, Augusten Burroughs :drinker:
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    Fahrenheit 451, Dandelion Wine, Galapagos, Slaughterhouse-Five, Cat's Cradle, Sirens of Titan, Lolita...

yeah, I love books.

Also,listen or read any of the poetry by Buddy Wakefield and Andrea Gibson. A-FREAKING-MAZING!
    Even better when you listen to it.
  • rhvandan
    Options
    Anything written by AJ Jacobs is entertaining and educational... if only slightly. I usually have to have tissues nearby because I laugh so hard when I read his stuff.

The Monk Who sold his Ferrari is a good one.

If you're willing to commit to some time, read "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts.
  • rhvandan
    Options
    some of my favorites are dystopian novels which are :
    Ender's Game
    Mazerunner (the trilogy) by james dashner
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (it a trilogy too, book 2 just came out)
    Divergent (trilogy) by Veronica Roth
    :)

i loved the Mazerunner trilogy as well!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    "The God Delusion" - Richard Dawkins
  • msnewzealand
    msnewzealand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it in high school for English class and it has stuck with me ever since as one of the most poignant books I have ever read. I may just read it again to see how my teenage mind compares to my almost-40 mind.
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    Great thing about Kur Vonnegut...he's blunt, he's matter-of-fact, he's funny. Every time I read him, it doesn't even feel like I'm reading, but at the same time it does.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged

My middle name is Ayn because my father was reading that book when they were bandying about names for me... yet I only just downloaded it and I cannot get past the first 2 pages... I'm an AVID reader... what's the clue to this one?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged

This!! Although if you aren't a big reader it might be hard. It's a long book, but it's sooo worth it. And very relevant.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    "100 years of solitude"- Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Very long book but definitely worth it, probably one of the best books I've read)

"Midwives"- Chris Bohjalian

"Dandelion Wine"- Ray Bradbury

"The Great Gatsby"- F. Scott Fitzgerald

I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the second one, whatever it's called. They are both really good but a little drawn out for your "average reader".

And I'm sure there's more I can't think of atm

ETA: OH! and anything by Josilyn Jackson if you're from the South or have lived in the South. Especially Gods in Alabama. I've read all of her books.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged

My middle name is Ayn because my father was reading that book when they were bandying about names for me... yet I only just downloaded it and I cannot get past the first 2 pages... I'm an AVID reader... what's the clue to this one?

Keep going. Get past the first chapter. If you're a reader you will be very glad you did. It's so amazing I couldn't read anything else after it for months. Ayn was a genius. Have you read any of her other books?
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....

I'm very afraid that someone might genuinely suggest it :/

I second The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

If you like off the wall humour then Mort by Terry Pratchett is a great read

ANYTHING by Terry Pratchett, he's probably the most under rated author to come out of Britain.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    I think I'm one of the only women in the world that HATES 50 Shades. My favs are the Hunger Games Trilogy. Water for Elephants is good too.

I want to read the Hunger Games Trilogy next. I just got done with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a Jo Nesbo bool from my dad and really got into it - so I would reccomend anything by him, "The Snowman" is one of the ones I remember off the top of my head
  • wastelander92
    wastelander92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a bookworm, reading is so much fun ^.^
    1984 by George Orwell is for sure a book everyone should read
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    The Life of Pi

Anything by George Orwell

Hitchikers guide was very good

Game of Thrones is amazing

Celestine Prophecies (the first one, the rest get a little preachy)

The BFG - Roald Dahl

The Lorax

Oryx and Crake & The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

Hunger Games (the movie sucked however the books are awesome)

The Iliad

Count of Monte Cristo (huge book but very easy to read)

No Logo

Wicked

Fahrenheit 451

The Scarlet Letter

A Confederacy of Dunces

The Picture of Dorian Gray

God is not Great

Brave New World

Satanic Verses

I only put a few authors name's in case you didn't recognize the title, if you want I can message you the rest of the authors

I like the way you read. :wink:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Classics? I love The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    For not so much a classic have you considered Phillip Roth? He's a genius in my opinion and not given nearly enough credit. (Some of his books are highly sexual like Sabbath's Theatre and somewhat Portnoy's Complaint but he writes other stuff too.) The first book I read by him was Everyman. It was very good but my ultimate favorite is American Pastoral. It is poignant and well written and thought provoking. You must read at least Phillip Roth book in your life. You probably won't stop with one.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Rose Madder by Stephen King <3<3<3