The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• flajocar
    Options
    "What To Say When You Talk To Yourself!" By Shad Helmstetter Reprogramming yourself for Positive lasting change.

A must read for Everyone.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For the ladies~ The Curse of the Singles Table A True Story of 1001 Nights W/o Sex by Suzanne Schlosberg. This lady is so funny!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Plato's Republic .
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    And the thread is killed. *win*
  • lroconner
    lroconner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Shack by William P. Young
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One Hundred Years of Solitude
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm told Game of Thrones is a very good read. You have to stick with it though the first chapter is a tough sell but once you get into it it's fantastic. At least that's what I"m told. Since I haven't read it myself.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
    The Devil's Notebook by Anton LaVey
    The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad
    The Myth of Male Power by Warren Farrell
  • ajohn252
    Options
    Jurassic Park!
    Seriously one of the best books I've ever read.
    It's an easy read and sooo entertaining!
  • dcl1585
    dcl1585 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Shack for those bible readers.. Very interesting
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

If you aren't an avid reader, this won't work for you....took me over 150 pages to get into it....it's like the with ALL 3 of those.

A Game of Thrones, fantastic.
    Enders Game (the sci-fi book for people who don't like sci-fi)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy (a must)

And for some seriously well done post-apocalyptic 80's throwback (can you get all the 80's references in this book?) Ready Player One by Earnest Cline. Toppled Enders Game as my favorite all time book.

Something topped Ender's Game?????????????? That would be a book I think everyone should read. How could anything beat that?
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    I think I'm one of the only women in the world that HATES 50 Shades. My favs are the Hunger Games Trilogy. Water for Elephants is good too.

Nope. You're not.

I hated it too....soooo monotonous. I kind of wanted to punch her in the face at the end, haha.
  • shunggie
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces or My Friend Leonard by James Frey. Two of the best books I have ever read. And based on his real life experiences.

About a junkie who goes to rehab and his journey there. My Friend Leonard is about his journey after rehab and his wonderful friend he meets in rehab, Leonard.

Didn't it come out that he made it up?
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - You won't be able to put it down.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Still Alice (I love this book for individuals like me who work in Nursing Homes gives you a great perspective)

Alice I have Been? maybe?
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sorry if this has already been suggested (not read the whole 16 pages of post lol) but ANYTHING by Michael Connelly
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Fool on the Hill and everything else by Matt Ruff
  • shunggie
    Options
    There is more than one book everyone should read. Many of my favorites have been listed, but did anyone say Christopher Moore? I think everyone in the western world should read Lamb, it will give you a new perspective on the life of Christ and make you laugh out loud. Moore's book A Dirty Job, helped me get through my mother's death.

Otherwise, and in no particular order: Tom Robbins, Kurt Vonnegaut and Hunter S. Thompson are always good. A few women authors, JK Rowling, Amy Tan, Alice Walker, Octavia Butler, Anne Rice, Anne McCaffery, Jean Auel, Connie Willis, and Fannie Flagg. Random other favorites: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Orson Scott Card, John Barth, John Irving, T.C. Boyle, and Joseph Heller. To Kill A Mockingbird and a Confederacy of Dunces are one hit wonders that are worth a reread. I'm a book person, what do you expect?
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Recently read the 50 Shades Trilogy and let me tell you, Id destroy Christian Grey in a week... he's really not all he's cracked up to be. :wink:

Id recommend: The Hunger Games Trilogy
    Game of Thrones (ALL of them!)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/Kicked the Hornets Nest/ Played with Fire

If you want a really interesting read (and possible insight into yourself) go for anything by Irvin D Yalom. He is simple genius.