Mommy is losing it...

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    one of my neices did this. everyone of us would look at her and say "i can't hear your words when you whine" took a month of whining being completely ignored for her to knock it off.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh crikey, tell me about it! I'm having the same issue with my 4-year-old daughter: major whining, meltdowns, and being fresh on occasion.

My M.O. has become this:

First whine: she gets a warning, and a reminder that she needs to put some sugar in her voice and take out some of the spice.

Second whine: she gets sent to her room, which usually entails me physically picking her up and hauling her, kicking and screaming, to her room. I close the door, she'll scream for about 2 minutes, and then when she's ready, she'll come out. I've been lucky in this respect: I never take her 'out' of time out. She just stays in there until she's calmed down, then she'll come out of her room, approach me contritely, and when I raise an eyebrow at her, she'll apologize to me. I always ask her why she was sent to her room to ensure that she understands what she did wrong.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to that crap. I have a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old. When the whining starts, I tell them that they look like a baby and if they want to act like a baby, I will treat them like one with having to take naps and such. If it continues, they are sent to their room until they can act like a big kid. I HATE WHINING!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old is the last of 5 kids (the oldest is leaving for the Marines on Monday! He's almost 21.)

They almost all had their "whiny" stage. The thing that was most effective for us has been identifying that *one* thing that they love: TV time, Computer time, DS, play dates, money, etc. and let them know that the next time they whine about something, they lose the TV/Comp/DS/$. . .for a finite time/cost. Right now, when the 6 year old pitches a fit about rinsing his dishes off and putting them in the dishwasher, he loses TV time for the rest of the day. Occasionally, when I'm really fried, he loses all electronic items. When he hits his sister, she owes her his entire weeks allowance ($1.50).

When you make the punishments up and inform the kiddo (not in the middle of a whining session, but when he' calm) be sure he articulates back to you what's to be expected. And then, the very next time he whines, WHAM. . .nail him with the consequence. Don't give him the chance to weasel his way out of it. Do this the next few times and he'll KNOW you mean business.

Hopefully, after a few times of losing the stuff he loves, he'll start to think twice before whining.
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    take things away one at a time & put them where they are hidden or on display, but out of reach.
    also when the behavior starts send him to his room for 30 minutes - it feels like a lifetime for a kid!
    start with the favorites & if the behavior continues, there will be no toys left.

i remember i was so bad as a kid that my mom even took my bed frame & my door away from me. i had no privacy, a mattress, and a chair in my room. i i fixed my attitude pretty quickly lol.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends was going through this with her daughter. She couldn't get through a shopping trip without some sort of whining and then a melt down. So one time her daughter threw a temper tantrum in the store, my friend got down on the floor and started kicking and screaming too. The daughter stopped immediately and told her mom to stop because it was really embarassing! The mom told her that's how she looks when she's having a melt down and the daughter never did it in public again! She was about 6 at the time. Don't know if I would have the guts to do that, but it worked.

^^This. This is exactly what I've done with my nephew when I took care of him for two weeks; he was the boy my sister and brother in law always wanted, and he could do whatever he wanted. And when he didn't get it, like everytime I was taking care of him, he was whining. So that's what I did, at home, in the kitchen. You should have seen his face :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: big round eyes, just couldn't believe what he was seeing. So I told him "This is exactly what you look like. Not very pretty..."! And that was the end of it! Good luck. Great advices in here. And good for you for having you ex helping you with that; this is not easy. :flowerforyou: Personally, my ex never cared about the kids, so I raised them alone; my daughter was 11 months and my son was 2 y.o. at the time. They're now 16 & 18 y.o. and I couldn't ask for better teenagers/adults!

You will get through this. :flowerforyou:
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    my 18 month old plays me up more than his daddy ... didnt think it was possible at his age he has me covered in bruises .. ive started putting him down on the floor when he starts and ignoring him until hes calmed down hes usually a happy good child but when u tell him know he has major tantrums!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    <
    This lady... right here... needs advice. My son (6) is in a really bad whining phase. Instant melt-down for unnecessary reasons. I'm divorced and although I think he does it slightly more with me, he also does with his father and it's driving us both a bit batty. (Dad & I are very good friends and live only a few doors away from each other and really do co-parent on these types of things)

We need to change our behavior in order to change his, I realize... but whatever we've tried doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Any books you can advise for him to read as well as books for adults on handling it. Also random advice is welcome. I'm actually soliciting parenting advice, so have at it.

Side note: nothing has "changed" to set this off, it's just always been his general m.o. but it seems to be getting more frequent.
    Remember that is a stage of your son who have go through a divorce:noway: ,no matter that you and your ex are the best parents in the world,he is trying to understand and see and accept that their parents are divorced,we... sometimes takes time to understand or just accept this word:sad: ,Imagine a child? so be patient little more with your child and give love:smooched: :smooched: and love and love until he get it!! but your doing amazing job!!! good luck!!

Just to clarify, we've been divorced since he was a baby. He's never known us together. We're not "going through" a divorce.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    my 7 yr old is finally getting out of that problem. I started sending him to his room, or acting like he wasnt in the room when he would whine and throw fits. He tried it in public once and my husband threw himself on the ground and started to scream and roll around. My son was SO embarrassed he NEVER did it in public again lol. Home took a little longer to get past lol.

OK, that is HYSTERICAL!
  • juliette28
    Options
    Hi! Here's my 2 cents. I agree with the other posters who suggest getting some distance (sending him to his room or you leaving the room), but I would also add--

Say very calmly (OK, as calmly as you can): Please go to your room until you can talk to me without the whine (or until your tantrum is over). If he doesn't comply, give a consequence: Please go to your room now or no SpongeBob tonight (or whatever he really likes). Then FOLLOW THROUGH! Even if he makes your life completely miserable FOLLOW THROUGH. Just calmly state, "No, you didn't follow directions...so No Spongebob...We'll try again tomorrow." If the time outs to room aren't getting his attention, I would immediately switch to "Response Cost," which means the inappropriate behavior (whatever it is--whining, tantruming) will cost him something (again, whatever you take away has to be something meaningful to him). Also--ALWAYS (or as much as you can) CATCH HIM BEING GOOD: "Hey, thanks for picking up your toys without whining about it."

I can guarantee you, that the biggest chance for positive change is if you and ex come up with a plan (reward/consequence) and then stick to it NO MATTER WHAT. Your boy's behavior will get a little worse at first (because he's going to up the ante to see if you cave...like most parents usually do) but then (within a month, often sooner) you will notice a vast improvement if you follow through every time. And the beauty of this is that it will set the tone for the next developmental stage (adolescence!!!) when you want him to know YOU MEAN BUSINESS. I fully believe it is essential for the well-being of children for them to have parents who are in charge. Kids often want to be in charge, but it is not what's best for them.

Congrats to you and your ex for co, parenting cooperatively--that is 3/4 of the battle, especially when it comes to discipline.
    GOOD LUCK~! :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    Options
    And thanks to all :) Great advice :)
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    spanking for whining? i disagree..IMO

what worked for me was what most said here,

I simply said "Mommy doesnt understand whine, when you are ready to talk in a regular voice come see me"

they stop if you remain consistent.

love you babycakes.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    my 7 yr old is finally getting out of that problem. I started sending him to his room, or acting like he wasnt in the room when he would whine and throw fits. He tried it in public once and my husband threw himself on the ground and started to scream and roll around. My son was SO embarrassed he NEVER did it in public again lol. Home took a little longer to get past lol.

OK, that is HYSTERICAL!

BWAHAHAAHHAHAHAA LMAO
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    1st off, it takes 5 to 6 weeks before any one parenting method works. You try a new method, if he rebels long enough, you'll change methods.

You have to *mean* what you say when you punish him. I never tolerated my kids whining and they stayed in their room until they were done. Even now that they're older, I call them out on their whine.

When the were young I would tell them flat out "This is a no whine zone, you can go to your room until you stop whining"

"I'll stop whining"

"No. You whined, you need to go to your room for 5 minutes, I'll set the timer"
    *whine* "Are my 5 minutes up?"
    "no, the timer did not go off, I'm resetting it, I will let you know when your time is up, do not ask"
    every time he asks, reset the timer. **If you go this route, it's a must. he will push the envelope until you give in. Children are the best manipulators on earth!! I used the microwave timer because they can hear it in their room.

Magic 1-2-3 is a good book, also.

**While I'm not anti-spank, spanking him will give him reason to whine even more and I would typically save it for very specific actions.

you need to be careful about rewarding good behavior, it should be something that he does automatically and will start expecting rewards for everything. hugs of thanks and doing something he enjoys will be a good motivator. (doing something rather than getting something like a toy, candy, money, that sort) cooking his favorite meal on a stellar day is also something you can do.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Going through the same thing with my 3 year old. I have started putting him in his bedroom until he can tell me like a big boy no whinning what it is he wants. IF it is something he can not have and melts down again he looses something he wants until he can calm down be it TV or the toy he is playing with. We just started this and so far he is trying to reign in the temper.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My youngest brother went through this for a while. The only thing that worked was completely ignoring the bad behavior and responding positively when he calmly asked for something.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I saw others say - I forgot to include....re-enforce the good behavior and when he doesn't whine..."Thank you for using your big boy voice" etc....this will help him want to use his nice voice more :) And kudos to you for the co-parenting situation! and just remember it's a phase and you will have your normal child back sooner or later lol :bigsmile:

And to the other posts...spanking for whining? OMG...that's extreme...spanking should be a LAST LAST LAST resort not a go to. Parenting is hard work it takes time and trial and error, not spanking and yelling.....
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    OK remeber that each child is different and different things work on them.

With my daughter we just spanked her that killed her whiny phaze real quick.

MY son was a challange negative reinforcement really didnt work on him. Spankings, groundings none of it worked. What works with him is jumping jacks he hates them . So I make him do jumping jacks. Also if he whines at me I look at him and tell him I cant understand him when he talks like that. Also positive reinforcement. when he does thing the way he is supposed to high fives and other small rewards.

It has worked wonders with him .
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Could you ignore it or have him throw his tantrum in another room or you leave the room? He is most likely doing it to get a reaction or for attention. If he sees it won't work, he may stop.

Pretty much this. Don't EVER give him what he wants when he whines. ESPECIALLY your attention.

Good luck, dear!
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    so much advice on this but I'll join in.
    6 is too old for whine - so hes got an agenda - he knows its a button pushing move.

Ignore is GREAT! BUT - dont stop or change. So often we'd swear we are consistent and really we are not.
    No whining has always been a phrase I use. The first sign of whine I cut them off and remind them to not speak like a broken or beat up half dying animal. Act like a human in need and you will treated as such.

Once I even hit the floor with the boy and whined and rolled around. He stood over me and said mom is silly. I said well so are you when you do this. Its silly, pointless and only makes mom act silly! Do you get what you want? NO- so quit it.

My real advice is this- only you know whats best - but I hold true to being consistent over everything else.
    And- never ever forget- it will take MILLIONS of times to teach a child something. I told 3 kids for 10 years to shut the glass door using the handle. TEN YEARS I wiped with Windex and begged them to use the handle. A wise friend who is a child whisperer once said- 10 years aint all that bad! Hope this helped or at least let you know all moms feel your pain and I can tell you- this too shall pass!