40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    That is EXACTLY "it", sdereski....all of a sudden I am OUT of CONTROL! Like a whammy and then a day goes by. A week. Two. And I step on the scale and it is AWFUL.

I am commanding myself to just STOP IT. I really have to just draw the line in the sand and decide "who" I want to be. I drew that line, yesterday. I want to keep drawing that line, day-in and day-out.

It *is* a lifestyle change. I have to simply acknowledge that I cannot eat, out of control, ever. Just ever. In all things to thine own self be true.

It's day one. It seems to be going well, lol. I remain hopeful.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Got a workout in today! Yay me. No gym Monday, but I did do an Insanity workout. Nothing yesterday, but today, gym, run AND insanity! :happy:

Weather has been cold and rainy these past few days. Yuck!

Still need to work on my eating. :grumble:
    Hope you are all doing well.
  • kariinbliss
    Options
    Hello! I'm 44, and just getting serious on here. Have been tracking, but not exercising yet. (ya, the treadmill in the basement is gathering dust because i can't drag my butt out of bed!) That is my first goal, to actually get up and work out. I work full-time, go to college full-time, got married 6 months ago, and have a daughter that is a senior in high school. Needless to say, I'm wiped out and half insane. :-) It is fantastic to see there are people my age who are getting the weight off and looking amazing! :-)
  • sdereski
    Options
    Welcome Karlinbliss. Sure does sound like you have a full plate! Good luck to you...and congrats on your recent marriage. :happy:

Got to the gym again tonight. Am really enjoying the NROL4 W program. It quick and does a good job of working the body.
    Am taking a stained glass workshop this weekend, so was ther until 9:30. Came home and did my insanity workout. I like the program...again because it is quick. Max 40 min of hard work and you're done!

Hope you're all kickin some boot-aye. :laugh:
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Hello to all. 40 to 41 in December, and the goals are to be 250 by Dec. 31 and to be in the size 18 jeans for the new years party.

Understand, I started this at 298 and a size 28 jean in April, and am now at 269 and a size 20 jean so I am if anything erring on the conservative side. But I'm hypothyroid, so I have to be careful like that.

Had a good evening out tonight, hung out with friends and talked, but my boyfriend had to work, which meant I missed him the entire evening. (sigh)
  • sdereski
    Options
    Welcome Alexandra and congratulations on your weight loss! Fantastic job. I am sure you will reach your goal of fitting into those size 18 jeans! :flowerforyou:
    I too am hypothryroid and find it difficult to shed the extra pounds, but I keep working at it.

Did insanity this weekend. Was really wanting to run, but I just didn't have time. I took a stained glass workshop again this weekend and it goes ALL weekend. Also hosted an Alzheimer's Coffee break at my house this evening, so was busy preparing for that after I got home from the workshop.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi cool kids,

I've been MIA for a while. My daughter and I got sick with a terrible stomach flu on Labor Day weekend, so I didn't exercise that whole week. Then, that following Saturday, my mom passed away. So I had absolutely no energy to exercise after that, plus being so busy making arrangements. When I finally got around to weighing myself, I discovered that I had lost 6 pounds. :noway: Unfortunately that was a result of the stomach flu and being too upset to eat. Just got back on track today and exercised for the first time in nearly a month. It feels good to be taking care of myself again.

Plus, I have the mud run coming up at the end of October, so I need to get ready for that. Sdereski - you are brave for doing the Tough Mudder! I do the Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run, which doesn't have any obstacles that zap you, LOL.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    40 years young here, and turning 41 in a few months.

I never thought that I would be in better shape in my 40s that in my 30s. Now, if I could only look look like I feel I would be happy.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    42! maintaining baby!
  • sdereski
    Options
    tldame - am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. It sounds like you have had a rough go for the past couple of months. Glad to hear you are getting back into your exercise. It does make us feel better - mentally and physically.

Welcome scribb and monkey bars! OMG Monkeybars I had to chuckle at your photo next to your comment about "maintaining". Somehow, didn't really think they fit. :laugh:

Still keeping up with the insanity workouts. Whew! Sure hope I can keep it going. Also did the NROL4W yesterday! Am loving those workouts!!:happy:

Beeps...where are you? Missing your posts. :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am 47 will be 48 on June 7 and I consider myself pretty cool!!! LOL! I have reached My "goal weight " around October 2011 doing Jillian 30 day shred,Ripped in 30and running and riding the stationary bike. But the scale lies!! I have been strength training for about 5 months now, I am down one pants size to a size 2 but gained 3lbs!! Very happy with my lifting progress! My one year anniversary coming up in 13 days! I want to live a life that is quality filled!!

Totally cool. I reached my goal in the middle of my 50th year. I've been maintaining for over a year. I'm living my dream. My before and after pics are on the first page of http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749284-what-is-your-heaviest-lightest-now-goal-part-2

I will be 52 soon and have never been more lean and fit ever in my life.

Yes you have to put away the scale now. I don't bother anymore. Just keep exercising and eat within maintenance budget and nothing else really matters. Because of our age it's nice to get a DXA scan once a year and it will tell you your bone density as well as body composition. It is cool because it tells you where the fat is in all your body parts (not that you have any control over it). Mine is less than 12% and only .06 lbs of visceral fat (pretty much 0). This was good to know because females like me who have had kids, for some reason you still "feel fat" around the tummy, well it's just your internal organs, that is how a women is typically shaped. It helped me to know scientifically there is no fat there. But the best news is the bone density if you've been lifting. At 51.5 years old I had the bone density of a atletic 30 year old. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting keeps you young I don't know what is!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm back from my mini-holiday. It was fun....being back at work is TOTALLY AWFUL, frankly.

But, I also decided that I have to check my bad-attitude at the door. It isn't helping anything, at all, frankly. I work. I earn good money. And, I get my work-outs in at the lunch hour. So, frankly, it's pretty darned good!

I won't lift until tomorrow. Today, I'm trying to keep my eating window as small as I can....adjusting to the time change, etc. Hopefully results will be good.

This weekend I have to do my photos for month-end. And, my measurements. So, I'm totally motivated to watch my eating and make sure I'm getting my exercise and my rest!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I got a cardio work-out in, yesterday, and some stretching. Today, I lift. Two more Phase One, NORL4Abs work-outs and then it is onto Phase 2! So, Monday will be a "whole new world", for me!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Welcome scribb and monkey bars! OMG Monkeybars I had to chuckle at your photo next to your comment about "maintaining". Somehow, didn't really think they fit. :laugh:

Thank you. I am here for the long run.

Speaking of runs, I have my half marathon coming up on October 14th in Newport RI. I am also hoping to run the Boston Marathon for In April. If it works out, I will be running for Children's Hospital
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, that half-marathon is coming up really soon, scribb! How do you qualify for the "Boston marathon"?? That sounds like a really good endeavour!

I got my lifting in. I'm pretty bored with this particular phase. But, I just reviewed Phase 2 of NROL4Abs and it looks like a LOT of work, lol. They say you can add one of the "big lifts" to the beginning of your work-out during Phase 2, but I'll have to wait and find out how much time it takes me to get through a Phase 2 work-out, first.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

Beeps, good job on getting the cardio and lifting in.

Californiagirl...You are amazing!! I had read your blog and saw your pictures a while ago and was super impressed! I have just turned 52 and seeing you and what you have done with your body makes me realize that it is possible for me...well, if I can stay out of the kitchen. :tongue:

scribb - good luck on your upcoming half marathon!! That's exciting. If you have the opportunity to run Boston, do it. I wish every runner could experience the Boston Marathon!!! It's a MUST!:drinker:

Got my lifting in again today. I think I'd better read over the book. I skimmed over it and went to the workouts. But...I am not sure I am doing enough. Is stage 1 of NROL4W only take about 20 - 25 minutes?

I ran 3 miles after - that was tough today. Plan is to run tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I don't remember Stage 1 being only 25 minutes, but I do remember it was "short" - maybe 35-45 minutes (for me). The work-outs *do* get longer in NROL4W (in fact, I had to break out my ab work and the metabollic work, just to fit it into my lifting schedule....)

californiagirl is a GREAT inspiration!

Today is a *rest* day - I'll do some light cardio and some stretching, I think.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I didn't get my lunch-time work-out in, yesterday. So, as SOON as I got home from work, I changed into work-out gear and did a 90 minute BRISK walk. I'll take it!

Today, I lift.

This weekend I have to do my month-end photo/measurements update. At least I know my tummy will be flat (I've been UBER-watching my carbs!)....now, if ONLY my saddlebags would respond....
  • sdereski
    Options
    Beeps, I figured out what I was doing wrong. In stage 1 they give you the exercises to do
    workout 1 2 sets @ 15 reps, etc.

Well......that was all I would do. Didn't realize I had to do workouts 2,3 &4 as well. and then move on to the next exercise. :huh:
    So, tonight am going to attempt the entire workout. That should leaving me feeling like a wet noodle for sure! :tongue:
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and took my 16yo daughter to a Linkin Park concert. She's never flown, so we flew from KC to Indy for it, rented a car, hotel. We had a great time. Mega cool points! :)