• kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

^This^
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness; I didn't get through all 18 pages of suggesstions to know what all has been recommended already. There are a lot of avid book fans here on MFP! :) I don't know how a body can pick just one! A genre you like would be helpful.

You mentioned classics- here are some you might want to consider:

George Orwell's 1984 -- Rather interesting to know that it was written in the 40's!
    Aldous Huxley's -- Brave New World
    Steinbeck's -- Of Mice and Men
    Harper Lee's -- To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Stephen Crane's -- The Red Badge of Courage

P.S. When I first read the title of your topic my first reaction -- The Bible.
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    48 laws of power
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yes, very good.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm reallllllyyyy Debating on The Hunger Games.... I already did the addiction to Fifty Shades... lol
    To read Hunger Games or to Not.... Hummmm....
  • clvautour
    clvautour Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try a Lee Child book. They are very good.
  • rladd6421
    Options
    a game of thrones (george r. r. martin) and all subsequent books.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Aldous Huxley's -- Brave New World
    I prefer this to 1984—it's more interesting, it's more of a fun read, it's not so far up its own butt ...
    Steinbeck's -- Of Mice and Men
    But in this respect I prefer The Winter of Our Discontent. It's beautiful, amazing, blah blah blah. Of Mice and Men is great, too, but ... Discontent feels like more of a pay-off (even though the ending caught me quite off-guard).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm reallllllyyyy Debating on The Hunger Games.... I already did the addiction to Fifty Shades... lol
    At least when people read The Hunger Games, they recognize the horror in front of them instead of thinking it's romance.

I couldn't get past the sixth chapter and even that was a struggle, but the writing is decent and the plot is interesting and deep. I have nothing good to say about 50 Shades. That women are "in love" with Christian Grey makes me fear for humanity.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm a book worm, I love reading. Right now I'm reading "The Mortal Insturments" series and "Infernal Devices" series. They are YA books. I like Stephen King books if you are into his type writing.

I'm curious to see what everyone else recommends! Almost done with the book I'm on and could use another good read! :)

Just got done with the 5 books in the series "Mortal Instruments" They were awesome. If anyone with a kindle account would like to "borrow" them I will lend them out. Great reads!
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ender's Game.
  • DevSea
    Options
    I recently read 'The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane' by Kate Dicamillo...and although its labeled as a children's book, I thought it was beautiful! I absolutely loved it! It's a great read!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Absolutely loved the Hunger Games trilogy! Great read. Read all 3 books in 4 days!
  • pudgypuss
    Options
    A New Earth and
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
  • medibrat
    Options
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I'm glad this one came up so early in the post. This is one of my all time faves. Light, REALLY funny, but very well written.
  • Ginerrva
    Options
    Flowers for Algernon.

About an experiment, trying to make retards smarter. Really makes ya think.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

^^This^^ EXCELLENT book
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nora Roberts :bigsmile: - there are so many books and each one is so different :heart:
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Flowers for Algernon.

About an experiment, trying to make retards smarter. Really makes ya think.

This. Such a moving story. It's been 5 years since I last read it and I still think about it at least once a week.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am not a book worm.I mostly read Biographies and the Bible(best read ever), but I actually read this cover to cover:
    The Chronicles of Narnia-C.S. Lewis