WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just popping in for a bit!

Linda - congrats on the comfy pants:smile: I had the same experience this morning when I put on some dress shorts - they actually fir okay!!

amanda - Hoping that your cousin's surgery goes well and for a good recovery

Cindy - YAY! Down a pound. Do keep us posted on how those intervals work for you

Kate - I hear you on the bone density. My doctor says I am osteopenic (SP?) and I thought it was in my hip, but no, it's my spine as well. I must get back on calcium and other supplements now that surgery is past.

Jane - How nice to have a condo there! It really is lovely. My friend has time share weeks at Sunset Fishermans - are you close to there?

Lila - congrats on breaking 145! good work! these milestones are always so encouraging.

Barbie - It sounds like eliminating the white bread, etc has really increased your veg intake - a good healthy strategy!

Kackie - I am always excited to have a good bear citing when we head to the mountains but yours sound a little too close for comfort. Yikes!!

Well, one more day until I can get back to some routine. I can't wait!! I managed a 15 minute walk during the lunch break today- better than nothing, I guess - and ate fairly reasonably (probably not enough in fear of over indulging) at the workshop today.

Have a good night ladies! g
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How about 'they actually fit' not fir....and 'a good bear sighting' not citing. honestly!! it must be bed time!
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Kate- The ribs sound yummy. You should be able to book day trips through your hotel. They are usually people also staying at the hotel. Maybe, there will be other spouses there, looking for a companion to go sight seeing with? Your DS and his theft, that is very awful. Did he make a police report with the local police dept? Seems, Like the company would be bending over backwards to find a thief! :explode: :explode:

Kathy- good luck with the job interviews this coming week. I was off for 4 years,due to a work injury. I started back to work in Jan of this year. I am only allowed to work in 4 hour shifts. This really will affect the amount of overtime that I used to work. I am thankful to be able to work even if only 20 hr/week. I will pray for you that you will find the job that is perfect for you! You may have to take something stronger to be able to exercise,to lose weight. Just look at it as a temporary fix to get you through the knee pain. :tongue: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jb- that is what I did not like about Portland, rain, rain and more rain!! I just was not used to the cold, rain and living inside! I worked at Emmanuel Hosp, in the emergency room! We had a lot of business in the winter time. Spending most of my kid life in warm sunny climates, I was happy to leave Portland! The plus side , greens forests, water and clean air! Oh, and lets not forget the beautiful, bountiful vegetable gardens! I LOVE salsa verde, but have never made it. You are one busy canner! :bigsmile:

Janehadji-congrats on the weight loss and the inches lost! Sally Field- really, I don’t see it. Lol Enjoy your trip to Mexico. It sounds lovely :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Meg- hope you were able to get some nice bike rides in this weekend1 If you bike has three wheels, wouldn’t that make it a tricycle! Now, all you need is a little bell on the front and you can ring the bell at your DH! Tell him to move out of the way as your are peddling your way down the highway!! Beep! Beep!
    I missed your blog on cedar parchment paper,,tell me! Poor DH, I hope that you didn’t kick his post-op toe! I scream and talk in my sleep when I am trying to run , or Frankenstein is chasing me! Lol
    Congrats, on your 15lb weight loss! WTG girl!! :drinker: :drinker:

Micki, were you sick or just drank your water too late at night! Hope the scale said what you wanted it to say! What is a WW cake? How are your hips doing? We have a Kolhs store, so when I get a discount coupon, I will have to go buy one of those pillows. :wink: :wink:

Lila, WOW CONGRATS on your weight loss!!! I have never heard of the “hobo stew” that is a bit of history that I must have missed in high school! I love learning facts like this! Thank You! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gail- what a great work out with the sod cutter! Whew, I am sure you burned a mega amount of calories that day! My DH and I laid our own backward with sod and it was a lot of back breaking work! Hope you weren’t too sore the next day! :drinker: :drinker:

Carolyn- you got a lot of heavy work done at your house too! Is everyone “nesting” and getting ready for the winter? My DH is not a sports fan at all. It must be fun to go with your DH and be really into a sport! The girls and I are fan of the Green Bay Packers. We can really have fun when watching a game. :happy: :happy: :tongue:

Kackie, Love the bear story. I would have reacted the same way, but would have had a side arm. In wild animal country where you are, I would think it would be a necessity to keep a side arm with you at all times. We also have some bear spray, as DH is going elk hunting and they camp during the hunt. Is this a summer home for you? I saw that you are getting ready to go to SC? :laugh: :laugh:

Barbie, can you recommend a reliable pedometer? Are you close to bears, and other creatures of the forests? I hear that there are vampires in the very western part of Washington. My Sister used to live in Forks. It was a nice tiny town with one stop light until the Cullens and Bella Swan moved in! Lol :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Jane, so glad that you had an awesome with your granddaughter! How is the relationship with your DIL since you moved out? I bet she is really, really missing you!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Michele I hope they got all the pipes worked out for the heat pump. You will be so relieved when it is all over and done! I bet those worker will miss working for you and your DH. I bet there are so many kind bakers out there like you are! That is so awesome that you do this. You probably get better work from the men, because of of your kindness. I feel lucky because I don’t get to go on a ” private Caribbean vacation" , I mostly just got cranky, dry skin, and a few other choice things that women get! :sad: :sad: :frown: :explode: :angry: :mad:

Liz- congrats on your Womens Challenge. I bet you felt do great to finish your first 5k! I hope that you were able to get out of bed the next day without too much stiffness! How old is your DD? I am sitting in the living room right now with my 2 DD. One is playing a video game on mute. My other daughter is sitting in the rocking chair doing homework and I am chatting with ya’all. We are listening to country music. DH is in bed sleeping. I love these girl nights! I know that I will miss them when they go to college. :sad: :sad:

DeeDee, where do you live to be lucky enough to have 30 acres? How is the decorating going. You did inspire me today. I got out the few decorations that I have for Halloween. I am going to fill the candy bowl with fruit! You must have had fun at the white house/black market. Such a good feeling when clothes do fit, when we did not expect them too! :drinker: :drinker:

Lynn- I would love to visit the NE in the fall. We have friends that moved back home to Burlington, Vermont. I too am looking forward to this hot humid summer being over. Unfortunately, in Southern Calif, the weather is hot until November. Good luck with the measurements this weekend. I have the same issue, Like to eat more than I burn, this is why I got so huge! I am reinventing myself at 55, learning to live with a physical injury, count calories, exercise and be here on MFP! We can succeed this time! There is no turning back. :tongue: :tongue:

Wessecg-CONGRATS on the 12 lbs lost! Pick up 10lbs of flour and remind yourself this is what you lost. An, awesome accomplishment! WTG! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:

Anjoneill, well 0.9 is not even 1.0 lbs , so that is good and it should come off fast. Here’s to a better week
    for you! :wink: :wink:

Cindy, hope you are feeling better! I also love your sisters quote! :laugh: :laugh:

Mwheatcraft54- thanks for the offer of the scale, that was very kind of you. By the time I got back to read the post, I had already bought the new scale. I live in San Diego. I did learn to ski, but have only done it a few times. I cant do it now due to my joint issues. It is so fun though. :cry: :cry:

Laura8011, where do you live that the weather is going to change so quickly? You may have already told us, but I can’t remember! I hope that your DH can get on a better shift soon and I am hoping that he is liking his job. :happy: :happy:

Nancy, it seems that self efficacy, or taking responsibility for our own actions is a hard concept for kids growing up in the tech world. One day when they are on their own (if they make it that far), they will have a rude awakening. They say that the last few lbs to lose are the hardest. You are so fortunate to be only 5 lbs from your goal! You can do it!! :drinker: :drinker:

Lentigogirl-hope your sourdough bread turned out! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin, how is your neck? I hope that the new pillow is working out! :happy:

Amanda- hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend! What kind of gallery do you work in that is so busy? Is London back to normal yet? :flowerforyou:

Glendalight- how is the new hip doing? Did you have a total hip replacement? :smile:

Not too much new for me. I have felt kinds rebellious the last 2 days. I just want to eat everything in site! I have not done this, but never the less, I still fell like doing this. I am going to go the gym tomorrow. A good work out should make this rebellious child to a more gentler kinder person! :blushing: :blushing:

I read all the posts, sorry if I missed anyone. Welcome to the new ladies. It is almost Sunday, so lets all have an awesome week ahead. :drinker: :drinker:
    Hugs to all, strength for all to deal with any challenges that fly your way this week! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Linda:heart:
    For all of you spell checkers out there, my kids tell me that I have the worst punctuation and writing skills. Ok, so its true, i didn't need to write essays while taking care of patients!!! :tongue: :tongue: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

A grey, damp day in London today. DH has gone off for a full day of hiking - I'm going off for a full day of shopping after my walk.
    Amanda- hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend! What kind of gallery do you work in that is so busy? Is London back to normal yet? :flowerforyou:
    Linda - London is a s normal as it is ever likely to be now. Of course, any minute now we will start getting Christmas shoppers pouring in! The gallery sells antiquarian maps, atlases and prints dated from the mid 15th century. I love holding a map that was printed over 500 years ago. We are in the heart of Mayfair, which is a great location for us.

DH is on a deadline for his next book, but for some reason he keeps putting off working on it. I have done most of the Latin translation he needs for it, but I am so tempted just to sit down and write the book for him! Maybe I could be his ghostwriter.

Time is passing, so I’d better shake my bustle and get moving.

Have a good day my friends. Be kind to yourself, even when nobody else is.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Sundance: Yes, we spend July-Sept in MT then come back to ski for Feb-March. We love it! And I always have bear spray when I walk or hike...but I don't usually carry it with me in the house!!!:noway: :noway: However, DH and I will be much more careful about making sure the garage doors are down from now on! I am sure with your DH Elk Hunting, he is even more careful. There was a recent attack on an elk hunter who was using his bugle to call in the males. A Grizzly followed the call to him instead and he got a nasty nip from him. He is ok and had bear spray, but couldn't get it out in time. And I hear you about this time of year...when the weather gets cooler, I am like a bear...I want to eat everything and take a nap:grumble: Good for you for NOT doing that! I admit to a bit more snacking recently than I should be.

Barbie: Tell your friend to purchase a canister of bear spray or walk with some friends! I wouldn't let that keep me inside! It is too beautiful a place to walk and hike to stay inside...bear or no bear! You just don't want to surprise them, like I did yesterday:tongue:

Liz: Good for you on the 5K:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Awesome!

Gotta go help DH get out the door...AND...CLOSE the door! I am double checking these days! :tongue: :tongue:

Have a great one, dear Ladies:heart: Kackie
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! Woke up to clear skies, it's going to be a beauty of a day! :love: I'll be going to the gardens to do some fall cleanup work and continue with harvesting. Had a really fun evening with friends but I'm paying the price this morning. :ohwell:

Linda, I know, I grew up in warm, sunny place, too, so it took me a few years to get used to living in this wet climate. I also lived for many years in snow country, which I've decided I don't want to do again. I like this area pretty well, have many large parks nearby, and the rivers are just wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I get sick and tired of rain come March and April, but being a gardener, I'd rather live where there's plenty of water and little chance of drought.

Lila, 145!! Wow that's great! Congratulations :flowerforyou:

Barbie, eliminating pastries, pasta, bread and pizza....I've had to work very hard at learning to control my intake all of those things that I used to love so much! Since my hubby likes to make sandwiches and we always have bread in the house, I've had to learn how to control it, maybe having a piece a couple times a week instead of 2 or 3 slices daily like I did in the old days. I used to bake cookies, cakes and pies on a fairly regular basis. And made my own bread. It's easy to see now how I got so huge! I'll continue to make a few pies during the holidays, it's a family tradition that I choose to keep alive. I allow myself a tiny slice or two, measure out plenty for hubby, and give half of the pie to the neighbors. I should consider making small tarts instead of whole pies! Cookies, on the other hand, nope, I can't have them in the house. Did you happen to see that cute little sign that one gal used for her avatar? It said, "Don't Eat Cookies, Your Butt Will Grow" :laugh: Hahaha so true!

Kackie and the Bears! :noway: Yikes. I had a face-to-face encounter once with a mama and two cubs, scared the living daylights out of me and caused me to go scrambling up a steep, heavily wooded embankment on all fours. Never in a million years would I have known I could move that fast, lol.

Amanda, I'd absolutely love to hold one of those 500 yr old maps! What a wonderful line of work you're in, you must really enjoy it!

I'd better get going here. I know it's Sunday, but there's no rest for me until bedtime tonight. Have a great day everyone!

:smile: jb
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am bummed. I've been sick for 3 days but finally I decided to stay down today. I am going to hate not walking my 10,000 steps. I am going to be afraid to eat today!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the scale for being oh-so-nice this week. Down 3.4 lbs (salmon twice this week, lots of walking). Lots and lots to go but it’s nice to see. There’s laundry on my list and a trip to Trader Joe’s. A couple of appointments for me tomorrow and then I pack the car to go to try to help my dad and go with him to several appointments. They’ve checked for evidence of another infection and didn’t find any however the c. diff. is not getting better so they’ve put him on an oral antibiotic. He’s very unhappy and I’m noting several of the staff members do not have the patience I thought they’d have in working with older confused individuals. I thought they’d know a lot more than I do and how to cope; maybe I expect too much.

Sounds like everyone is finding surprise finds in their closets. I don’t have many things to hunt through except coats. I’ve tossed most everything else except boots---I got rid of some but kept quite a few. I have grey Uggs, black Uggs (several pairs of tall and short), rose Uggs, and brown Uggs. While I need boots in this climate I have to select which ones to wear. If it’s slushy and all I won’t wear my better boots. I reserve those for clean snow. I think I have some problems left from childhood----you know, keeping things for good. I still do that with footwear and purses.

My new pillow is fine. I like it but with fibromyalgia I tend to have a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders; it just gets worse from time to time and the old pillow wasn’t helping any. This is better.

Is anyone else having appetite issues? This past week I was chomping down every calorie I could (within calorie limits) for a couple of days and then I didn’t really feel well and didn’t eat all my calories for the next few days. Onset of Fall? It certainly is getting dark earlier.

I’ve been reading through all the posts and again, what an active group of ladies. So many interests and yet we’re all here to live healthier lives. It’s great, encouraging, and something I appreciate so much.

Hoping everyone is having a lovely weekend. Be well, be safe.

Lin
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies! It is gorgeous here today! Got down to 34 last night….brrrrr but great sleeping weather. We slept in and didn’t go to church, but took some homemade scones to my dad at the nursing home. We had a nice visit except for the part where he choked on a bite of scone. It took him about 5 minutes to catch his breath….the nurse put him on oxygen and he looked better when we left. :sick: I am working up until dinner time (we eat around 3 or 4 on Sundays) then we will take the bikes out. We didn’t get to it yesterday…DH cleaned carpets for nearly 10 hours….OMG. They do look better though. It’s amazing how dirty they were, we just had them professionally cleaned about 3 months ago.

Micki: even if it’s temporary, that weight sure looks nice, doesn’t it? That’s a motivator for sure!

Sasha: great news on the loss! Good for you.:flowerforyou: I’ve been talking about salmon and seafood especially poaching it in wine and the cedar parchment papers. I think seafood is the key LOL I’m not the one with the dancing broom though!

Gail: that sod cutter does sound like a workout!

Carolyn: great NSV! I think when you notice something about yourself, others notice it too!

Kackie: OMG that bear! I hope they find him and relocate him away from your house! I forgot where you live that you see all this wildlife. We have mountain lion sightings in Nebraska too, and not just in the rural areas, because of the drought (and human expansion) they are coming into towns now.

Barbie: what kind of pedometer do you use? I have tried several and none have worked.

Jane: sounds like a great day with DGD!

Michele: yuck…red clay in the pool! :grumble: Hopefully that can get cleaned out or filtered out!

Liz: what a great day! I have no good advice for the soreness…even stretching makes me sore.

Linda: yes actually at a 53 I have a tricycle! :happy: The bike shop had a horn I almost bought but then decided to wait as maybe Santa will bring me one. The cedar is just thin shaved pieces of cedar planking that is the thickness of card stock…heavy paper. It’s flexible so you can wrap what ever you are cooking in it and it gives it a nice cedar flavor, but milder than actually cooking on a plank. I have been wanting something fattening too all week! Not sure what I want, but I have been good so far!

Amanda: I have 2 antique maps but I can’t remember the name of the cartographer. Someone whose studio had a fire; they have soot marks on them that helped authenticate them. My brother has the third, and this one is a Blau. They are all registered with the Library of Congress here. I would love to see your gallery! It sounds fabulous! What a great job.

Kackie: Oh I see now…montana

Jb ( and all the other bakers): have you ever cooked with Truvia or any of the sugar substitutes? I’d like to try them for a lower calorie treat. I’ve used the substitutes for oil…my favorite being the prune puree (no you don’t get the side effect). I used to bake a ton and miss it, but want to be able to make lower calorie versions. We like to have a small snack during game night. Right now I am parcelling out the Russian chocolate. Fortunately they come in ½ ounce pieces!

Wessecg: I sure hope you are feeling better soon!:flowerforyou:

Lin: good for you on the weight loss. That is fantastic! You know, in reading our posts, I see several people with appetite issues. I kind of think that when the weather changes we are genetically programmed to eat away because winter is coming. I know I crave fat this time of year, although lately I can’t identify a single food I actually want, it’s just the idea of eating it. Maybe I’ll put this mental image in my head. I want to eat fat so I will dream of eating crisco. BLEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: Omg Craving cured! At least for now!

Well I need to get some work done on this blasted book. I’d love to work part time instead of two full time jobs because I feel like I am missing so much that I want to do. *Heavy sigh.

Take care and have a blessed Sunday! Meg
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning ladies, just a short post before I take the fur family for an outing, after reading the posts I think I should take bear spray or an air horn!!

Retail therapy yesterday was wonderful; I had so much fun trying on clothes that I wouldn’t have even attempted 4 months ago. And even though I know it’s vanity sizing - boy it feels good!!!! Nancy – I was in your neighbourhood. I went to Cranbrook for the drive over the Kootenay Pass before weather turns (next time I go is October 18/19 and who knows what the summit will be like then). It was a beautiful day for a drive, but no wildlife, even at the viewing area in Creston. I had fun in Winners and picked up a few things, then Joe Fresh for some transitional clothing for the shoulder season and their prices are always so good. I stopped and picked up wonderful produce and new apples in Creston. The stand I bought the apples from was fun, the older lady gave me a whole lecture on apple care and storage.

Anyway, off with the puppies and then back to move the summer stuff out, go through the fall/winter stuff and sort, press, mend, mark alterations for those things that I really, really want to keep and generally change over the seasonal wardrobe. I live alone (well, other than the furbies) so all of the closets are mine, mine, mine (as she cackles maniacally).

Kackie – Oyour poor neighbours, just cleaning bear scat up in the yard is bad enough – on a carpet – ICK. I ran into a bear on my back deck when I lived in Northern Ontario and really don’t ever want to be that close again – distance is good. I love seeing wildlife and was 4 hours in the car yesterday over the Kootenay pass, and didn’t see one wild creature, and I was really looking.

Micki – you’re right – it was Michele, sorry for the mix up (I went back and forth on the Word document and obviously didn’t read the name right – oops)

Jane – Violet looks adorable and so glad you had such a fun day. I don’t have any grandchildren yet and sincerely hope my two girls decide to bless me with some before I’m too old to enjoy them (which is part of the reason I need to get in better shape because I may need to be active well into my 70s, hopefully still in my 80s).

Michele – I think I’ll take JaneHadji’s Caribbean vacation over yours – lol. Sounds like your pool will take a little cleaning to get it back, will the clay cause problems with the filters? I’m going to have to look up Bradford Pear, probably doesn’t grow this far north anyway. One can always dream.

Liz – CONGRATULATIONS on the 5K walk; wow, that is really great! I hope the hot shower headed off the stiffness. With me it’s always the second day after I use muscles that have been inactive. The first day after I always think I have missed the stiffys then the second day they hit. You’d think I would know by now, but I always think, O good, it worked!

Barbie – I missed the whole vampire thread until I remembered the Twilight stuff, duh, I’m a little slow this morning. Seeing you as a rebellious child is just not working for me, I can see the kinder gentler person here though.

Amanda – it sounds like you are blessed to really enjoy your job, what a thrill holding old things (on this side of the Atlantic, the definition of old is not so old).

JB – thank you, I’m pretty stoked about breaking through that floor. Reading your post, I’m not sure I loved all those carbs or whether it was sort of a body addiction. I’m not really missing the bread and pastries, pizza, pasta. I had a burger yesterday (long drive and very little in the way of healthy restaurant choices on this highway) and I didn’t feel very well afterwards. I think it was the bread or the breading on the chicken fillet. Sweets I’ve always been able to turn down, but holidays it’s more about the tradition of food than the actual taste of the food. I’ll try what you do, bake and give away (which seems to be what a number of the ladies on here do).

Lin – I think the calorie fluctuations are to do with season change – maybe we are all programmed to prepare for winter – lol. It’s good to hear you are going to spend some time with your Dad, it sounds like you need to advocate for him when he can’t for himself adequately.

Wessecg – hope you feel better VERY soon.

Meg - wow, I must have been tired, I mixed up people 2x - apologies to you too (but I think you need a dancing broom too just to drive the dog nuts). My dogs don't seem to care about things moving around, I've been tempted to get a Roomba just to see if that will interest them.

Have fun ladies, will check in later just to read the posts, as I’m sure there will be many more by this evening as you are all prolific writers.

Lila
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Janehadjl - so sorry, I just cannot type your handle correctly, I keep switching the l for an i consistently. Apologies.
  • Dar1356
    Options
    Hello ladies.... hope that you are all having a great weekend....I can't believe that it's the end of September already, time flies even
    when your own children are away at college:) needless to say, our international students have been with us for one month now... and will be attending their first high school homecoming this Friday nite, which should really be interesting since they don't do stuff
    like that in China.... however, they do like eating at KFC and McDonald's, which is within walking distance of our home... I will try to break that little habit for them slowly, since I know that is their comfort food for now......
    anyway, time to bring the fall boxes out of storage and decorate... the weather should be much cooler this week in So. Calif....
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Happy Sunday!
    Today's a catch up day for me. Housekeeping, laundry, hemming pants so I have clothes to wear this week for work (yeah... I'm REALLY short and can't even buy petite pants without hemming them) and later to cook dinners ahead so I can heat and eat after work and aquafit and/or swimming laps this week or walking.
    I bagged up another big black garbage bag full of clothes that were too big for me to even wear anymore. Taking them in just isn't the answer for these ones. YAY!!!!! But that meant that I needed to hem the pants that I bought on sale a bit ago to get to wear them to work this week. Those NSV's make you feel great and someone else can benefit from some of the really nice blouses and stuff.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon lovely ladies--

Just got back from church and then dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse with DD and SIL. DH led music and played his accordion at another church about 2 hrs. away. Longhorn has 500 calorie options so it fits the plan.

I'm almost afraid to say I've hit WONDERLAND! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I figured yesterday was from being sick on Friday but the scale was still at 198 today. I will not post it until weigh day. By then it will be official or not. :laugh: :laugh: It has got to be all the water I'm drinking as I haven't been getting my walk in due to being sick and my hip hurting again. I will go to the chiro again tomorrow. I need to get this under control since we leave for our trip 2 weeks from today.

My goal before the trip was originally 195 but after a plateau I thought it would be impossible so I changed the goal to 200. Who knows maybe I can still make it. :wink:

:flowerforyou: Lila - You are right about the Hobo Stew. I was really good. It had a ground beef base and everyone brought cans of veggies to add: tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, corn, carrots, black eyed peas, kidney beans, lentils, etc. It was delicious. Since it was my supper I ate 3 bowls (approx. 2 cups).

:flowerforyou: Michele - The WW cake is the one where you use only a cake mix and a can of diet soda. I used strawberry cake with diet 7 UP and then topped with fat free cool whip. You can google diet soda cake and see all different variations. You just have to divide the calories for the cake mix by the number of pieces you decide to cut and then figure your cool whip. It's a pretty low cal cake.

:flowerforyou: Linda - I think you will really like the pillow. I had a coupon when I bought mine.

:flowerforyou: Lin - I don't know what pillow you bought but if it doesn't work out you might want to try the one I told Linda about. I talk about it on a post from yesterday.

:flowerforyou: Meg - Thanks for the kind words. The scale is still down today.

Have to get ready to go back to church but will check in again later.

Micki
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well Ive had a pretty good day. The fall weather is wonderful! We turned the air off and opened our windows.

I also have a pillow I love. Its an Iso -Cool. If i have a hot flash I flip that baby around and voila lay my neck and face on a cool spot aaaaah! Mine is the orthopedic neck one but they have they regular ones too.

Gave my son a haircut while he was here.

So yesterday I did 4 11 minute jaunts on the Elliptical. Someone jacked up the resistance while I was gone to TX and when I finally figured it out my legs were unappreciative. Then I went over to my daughters and climbed 3 flights of stairs about 10 times helping her move things to her new house. That was tough, then we came home and ordered pizza so my calories were over for the day but I logged it. This day has been better I need to eat a little more but am having trouble picking something low carb.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So many posts to catch up on! I read them all but unfortunately don't have to time to write much! DH and I got new pillows this weekend, mine is a Sealy Posturepedic Extra Firm. I'm excited to try it tonight! Congrats to those who posted losses! I bought a nice pair of dress slacks today - 18 regular and this past winter I was wearing 20W, so I feel like I'm making some progress.

Good night All!:flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I have had a busy day. First holding court with my subjects:laugh: , then errands, and boy did those wear me out today...I think it was just the fact I was jumping in and out of the car so much, my last stop was to the grocery store and of course it was packed today, plus I didn't make a list so I was wondering aimlessly trying to decide what to have the next few days:grumble: , and I was starving on top of it. I was good though I bought a chicken breast already cooked for my lunch. I bought a small roast today, I'll cook in the crockpot with some veggies tomorrow, and then I'll turn it into soup to put in the freezer. I had dinner with DD, SIL, and granddaughters tonight, it was fun, I think I play with them more than I eat. I sent my leftovers home with them for tomorrow:bigsmile: .
    I think I will go crawl in my bed and read some tonight, I'm tired:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: . I will try to catch up with everyone tomorrow.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful night. Sweet dreams, until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

What great posts I've been reading...new pillows, new clothes, new weight. All so inspiring!

I lost a little too. Finally got to 50# gone and broke through the 160 barrier.:happy: :smile: :happy: Maybe I will go clothes shopping soon too. But I'll wait for cooler weather. It's still in the upper 90s here and I don't want to buy long pants yet.

I've been kind of under the weather for a couple of days...lethargic, tired, etc. Today I finally walked a little. It was only a bit over a mile but a lot of hills. My fitbit says I climbed 11 sets of stairs...all hills. Tomorrow is zumba. I can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great week!!

Eileen
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bears - my goodness. I can't imagine what I would do - probably squeal and run.

So happy for all who are losing and having NSVs – great motivation!

Mamacindy – I’ve seen those isocool pillows and wondered how they were. Thanks for posting about it.

Didn't get down to meet Tigress at her show as I had hoped.

Oh my.... am I pooped! DH had to work after church and I came home and moved 110 of the 150 bags of mulch around, then opened and spread them all. It took me 4 hours and now that I've showered I am realizing how tired I am. Dinner tonight will be simple ham slices (Hormel Extra Lean), a veg and something else. The exercise log says I burned 1800+ calories, but I don't know that I believe it. I logged some of the time as walking, some as raking and some as circuit training -- after all, I did have to live the bags into the wheelbarrow and then lift them again after cutting the bag open.

We are having swai tomorrow - a fish kind of like tilapia. I'll test for salmon-like magic and report. Too tired tonight to cook for the week yet I did take the fish from the freezer as well as some ground beef for tacos one night. I'm sure one night will be a YOYO (you're on your own) where we'll eat up any leftovers, etc.

Now, CELEBRATE with us!! We are REJOICING that DS1, who has lived with us for almost two years, told me today he and his brother are looking into getting an apartment together. Now, I know that sounds bad so read on.

He moved back in with us just prior to having major surgery for Crohn’s disease. While his surgery went well there were serious complications shortly afterwards. He was in ICU for 2 weeks, intubated and sedated for the first 10 days of that time. The Rx he had been taking for Crohn’s damaged the myelin in the occipital lobe of his brain and, when he could finally breathe on his own and speak, we found that not only had he lost all motor control and bodily control, he was also blind. He went from ICU (2 weeks) to CCU (2 weeks), and finally was moved to in-patient rehab for 4 more weeks. Wonder of wonders. during that time his vision began to return! He did 3 months of out-patient rehab. When that ended he worked his own rehab program at home and at the Y, kept at it steadily and returned to his job 11 months to the day of the surgery. [Major kudos and gratitude to his employer who, though DS1 was officially not an employee after the FLMA time expired, continued to hold his position open until he could return!]

Fast forward another 10 months time and DS1 is essentially whole again. There are still a couple of minor things that are annoyances to him, but he says they are nothing in the big picture. The medications he had for his Crohn’s before the surgery included steroids. Since the surgery he has lost 100 pounds and is 6’3” and ~ 185 pounds. He takes his health very seriously, eats better and now follows a rigorous exercise program. He does not have to medicate in any way for his Crohn’s at this time.

We are to give God thanks for all things. When we were in the midst of the first part of the journey I remember one night of crying out to God – trying so hard to be thankful, yet wanting what any mom would want and praying for the strength to accept whatever was His will, trying to think of how we could convert the house to accommodate a hospital bed and a room for nurses, etc., and the anguish of not knowing how things would turn out in the end. It was hard to pray, let alone give thanks.

Now, though, we can absolutely say ….. praise to God for DS1’s injury for we learned much about our need and dependence on God for strength and more about the importance and sweetness of family. Praise to God for DS1’s recovery for we learned much about determination and balance (physical and time). Praise to God for DS1’s future and all that it holds – I’m sure we’ll have more to learn!

THAT is why we are celebrating his upcoming move – it is another time of progress in DS1’s life. God is good and we are blessed indeed!

Well, this ended up longer than I thought, I’ve had to rewrite a couple of times and I’ve shed a few tears along the way, too.

Thankful and joyful,
    Gail
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just got in from the show, sorry I didn't see you Gail, there was a big crowd, but people weren't buy like they usually do. We didn't do to bad, about a 1/3 of what is normal. I hate election years. I did end up eating badly in the evening both sat and sun, but was pretty good on the other meals so we will see what happens with the scale tomorrow during weigh in. I didn't drink enough water today so I have to go and drink a few glasses now, then to bed, I am beat. Tigress