can of diet soda and cake mix? anyone?

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    has anyone tried it with diet sodas that are made with stevia?
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    cupcakes are bad...stop before its too late!!!!

they are bad... but I am a great fiance and make sure I bake and cook for my hard working man... and HE LOVES CUPCAKES... so I know if I make them eventually I may eat one or two... and I figure I would try it out this way and not tell him and see what he says ... :wink:
    So what you are saying is you enable him by giving him fattening food rather than healthy? Do I have that correct?
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 678 Member
    Tastes great. I haven't tried the yellow cake but have done it with chocolate cake. Also works good with red velvet cake. You want to use liquid egg whites as well (or 2 egg whites seperated)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Oh Bumperoo
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    just wanted to mention I didn't use any egg, just the cake mix and the diet pepsi. Blended with electric handmixer. i baked it in a small lasagna pan, it's very moist. i cut it into 10 and divided into individual baggies. I did use pam spray in the bottom.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    I did this today. Used chocolate fudge cake mix with coke zero. Also used mini cupcake wrappers so I got 36 from the recipe and calculated 62 cals each. I don't need a frosting as I keep these little babies in my freezer for a tiny treat after dinner.

I find they are much better after chilling/freezing overnight. Will try egg whites next time but I found them to be very fluffy and moist.

I prefer to eat clean too, but when a girl has PMS and wants some chocolate.....
  • bump
  • Mmmmmegan
    Mmmmmegan Posts: 50 Member
    Works with any type of diet soda that I've tried. Yellow cake mix and diet cream soda is delicious as well as chocolate cake mix with sunkist! I use sugar free cake mix and since they're already sweet I omit any icing which brings the 'mini' cupcakes to around 30 cals a piece. I usually only make half of a box at a time (makes 24 mini cupcakes) which means 6oz of diet soda instead of 12.

:]
  • i tried it with Yellow Cake & Diet Lemon Lime Pop over the week-end it was awesome. Very light. Thanks to whoever posted it. :smile:
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    It works but I use club soda instead because I don't want the crap chemicals from diet pop
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,262 Member
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!

Not true. I love sweets and love baking. I've lost 50lbs and didn't stop enjoying treats..
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    I prefer the cake mix and can of Pumpkin recepie. It has lots of fiber and it is about 150 calories per muffin when you make 16.

Love these!
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    I do it every time and it is wonderful. Last night I actually used it for gluten free cake mix and it was great.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    I haven't done diet soda with cake mix, but I have used Egg Beaters and unsweetened applesauce in lieu of eggs and oil and it was very moist and delicious.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    First off, thanks for posting about this. I would love to have an alternative way of making a cake for when I decide to have it, and I am sure that the time will come. Contrary to some of the posts about the horrors of having cake, I think we can each make our own decisions on when to splurge and on what. Being on MFP is a way of teaching us how to manage what we eat and keeping within limits and keeping it reasonable.

I will keep this idea on my bulletin board for the upcoming holidays.
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Bump
  • Peachysunrain
    Peachysunrain Posts: 6 Member
    My sister n law a teacher in Alabama learned from her school lunch lady!! She uses the orange cake mix with diet orange soda and the icing is sugar free jello mix in lite cool whip....awesome we love it!!
  • tiffanyctyree
    tiffanyctyree Posts: 14 Member
    I recently discovered the diet soda and cake mix. I personally mixed a can of diet orange soda from Publix (made with Splenda) and a box of yellow cake. I personally thought it was more moist and dense than regular cake and would choose it over a traditionally baked cake any day.

Also, this weekend I tried a different recipe: a can of pumpkin puree and a box of spice cake. Made muffins instead of a cake and sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar on top of each muffin and they were amazing. Made 12 muffins at 170 calories a piece. My husband wants me to go get ingredients to make more ASAP.
  • Saving this for when I have more time to read recipies.