iPhone 5?

Options

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Go for it. My son wants one and he is good at picking out the best techs and elects! lol

If he wants the iPhone 5, then he is not good at picking out techs and elects. The iPhone is not a technical phone. It is the easiest phone in the world.

All of Apple products are made for the technically challenged person. I personally believe this is what makes them so popular.

i think that apple products have a wide array of uses. they are user-friendly for those that may not be a tech-geek, but that doesn't mean you can't do tech-geeky things with it. the spectrum of users is wide. but I don't think they are really that different than anything else. i just think that people hate the "fanboys" and try to downplay/dismiss what apple does.

I can say this........

No one in our I.T. Department has an iPhone. We all have Android devices. The only people that have iPhones are the same people that I always receive calls from that don't know how to do anything.

In fact, I don't know anyone in the technical community that I network with that has an iPhone.

2 things - 1) i was talking about apple, in general, including their computer systems. 2) just because you don't use them doesn't mean no one does. I am was also in IT, and there are a few people who use them and like them.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I just got an iPhone 4S this spring and LOVE it! I was wondering why no one brought up that Samsung has been sued by Apple (and they won) because Samsung "stole technology" from Apple. This tells me right there that Samsung would not be as good. But that's just MHO. I haven't used a lot of smart phones--I had a BB Bold as my first one and I did really like it except for the lack of apps. Of course, since getting my iPhone (and iPad), I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps--some that I found later were useless, I wish there were a way to test some of them...I'm digressing.

Obviously a lot of strong opinions on what is the "BEST" phone and like a lot of things, there is no "right" answer--people like what they like.

With that being said, I will upgrade to an iPhone 5 once I am able to which should be right around the time all of the kinks have been worked out. ;o)
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Oh, and wanted to add, that my brother is a techy by profession and LOVES his iPhone for personal use (a BB through his work), and has other Apple products as well. He believes Dell is the best for PC/laptops. I do have a Dell laptop that is 5+ years old and I still LOVE it--when it's time to upgrade I will be going with an Apple product because they are really providing a lot IMHO.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    I'm not a fan of apple products due to their complexity of pricing and mindless fan base. I currently use two phones. One is a Nokia N900 which runs a form of linux. I actually write applications for it using QT programming. I do not use this "smart" phone for anything else besides mobile computing and gadget use. I use a cheap phone for actual phone purposes.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I just got an iPhone 4S this spring and LOVE it! I was wondering why no one brought up that Samsung has been sued by Apple (and they won) because Samsung "stole technology" from Apple. This tells me right there that Samsung would not be as good. But that's just MHO. I haven't used a lot of smart phones--I had a BB Bold as my first one and I did really like it except for the lack of apps. Of course, since getting my iPhone (and iPad), I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps--some that I found later were useless, I wish there were a way to test some of them...I'm digressing.

Obviously a lot of strong opinions on what is the "BEST" phone and like a lot of things, there is no "right" answer--people like what they like.

With that being said, I will upgrade to an iPhone 5 once I am able to which should be right around the time all of the kinks have been worked out. ;o)
    They just recently sued Apple too, so does that mean that Samsung is better now?

Another thing different about the new iPhone is that Apple teamed up with TomTom and created their own maps feature, instead of using Google maps in the past. Apparently people are having some problems with it, there is nothing for transit lines, and you are not able to get Google maps for it with the iOS6.

I hear a lot of people say they love their iPhones, have you ever even used an android phone? Or do you just love smartphones in general?

I've always been an Android user and was thinking about making the switch but I'm torn. Seems like they improved a few things but also screwed a few things up. The Galaxy s3 sound nice too, but it's so big.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i just paid for my coffee with my Galaxy S III in circle K and another person asked if that was the new iphone and I laughed and said no you cant do that with an iphone
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mine just arrived a half hour ago. Its still all shiny in its package. I love new toys!
  • nis75p06
    Options
    I work for a managed security services provider (I do firewall management, log management, penetration testing, vulnerability scanning, and IPS/IDS management, though my speciality is log management). Almost everyone in the company has iPhones as their personal phone - not supplied/paid for by the company. Almost everyone also has iMacs and/or MacBook's as their personal computer/laptop - and those with MacBooks bring them to work rather than use the company supplied Dell's. Actually the only THREE people in the company without an iPhone include the TWO least technical people in the entire organization - and one guy who specializes in penetration testing/vulnerability scanning who is in love with his Galaxy. So contrary to the "iPhones are for less tech-savvy", here it is just the opposite!

But to each his own...

My 5 has shipped... Now just anxious await it's safe arrival!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an iPhone 5 until Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 2. Sprint didn't allow preorders in store for the iPhone 5 for some stupid reason and when I got home the Galaxy Note 2 had a Press release for later this year.
  • Bigmama0210
    Options
    I just recently bought a HTC One S. The miunte I connected my phone to my computer and synced it all my music that I PURCHASED from iTunes for my iPhone 4 is now on my new HTC phone. I love the fact that I can download a music downloader app on Android's Google Play and I am able to download any song for FREE. Apple is waaaaaay too restricted IMO.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an iPhone 5 until Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 2. Sprint didn't allow preorders in store for the iPhone 5 for some stupid reason and when I got home the Galaxy Note 2 had a Press release for later this year.

You could have pre-ordered the iPhone 5 online with sprint. That is what I did and I had it at my door when I got home from work on Friday. So far I love it but I had a really crappy phone before this. This is my first iPhone. Only thing I don't like is how there are no accessories available in the stores.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

im jazzed up for the Note 2 myself
  • Jessvaliquette
    Jessvaliquette Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok I didn't read the previous post but here is some info you might not know, if you have and IPHONE 4S, not sure about the 4(mine) anyhow my boyfriend has the 4S and he got a notice to do the upgrade so he did and he has all the new features that the IPHONE5 has, the only difference is his isn't as thin but seriously who cares, if you have one just do the update on your software. I am going to try.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Love my iPhone 5 <3
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'd get the S3, but I already have an iPad!!! :laugh:

My 5 arrives next weds!! :smile:
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was initially an android user and then iPhone. I personally like iPhone because a lot of apps were not designed for the android market. Both galaxy and iPhone 5 cost the same so you might want to go to the store and get the user experience.

Rumors are that galaxy s4 is set out to release in Feb (yes Samsung are pretty desperate) so if you set your mind on s3 and willing to wait, just get the "next best thing" that might happen.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Got it, love it. I won't judge those who decide to use other devices, just as they should not judge me.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not planning on getting one just yet. I have the 4S. But a nice couple nearly pounced on me yesterday thinking I had the 5 in my hand... get a grip people! :noway:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I got the iPhone 5 on release day here in the UK.

I've had every iPhone other than the 4S, if I had the 4S I wouldn't have upgraded to this one, but I only had the 4, so my timing was spot on for the upgrade plus I wanted a bit more memory than my 4 16gb.

Get really bored of people criticising other peoples choices, I don't understand why people feel they have to do this - and what they get from it, it's a bit like preaching.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Before my company downsized, I was responsible for the Windows 2000 network as well as the database, so I think that would qualify me as a techie. When I worked at home, which I frequently did (4 out of 5 days), I used a Macbook Pro to access the Windows server. I know Windows. I prefer Macs.

I had a blackberry, but switched to an iPhone 4 just over two years ago. I love the way it syncs with my laptop. I am looking forward to upgrading to the iPhone 5. I'm really looking forward to switching carriers. (AT&T has definite problems in this part of southern NH; but NO ONE has problems with Verizon. I understand that it is the opposite in areas like Colorado.)

First decision should be your carrier.
    Then consider your level of experience. Are you computer savvy, or do you struggle with computers?

If you want a phone that is easy to use, iPhone is it. If you want a phone that has it's apps strictly monitored for quality (*I* think this is good), iPhone is it. If you want a phone that is cumbersome, flakey, easy to hack, hard to use ... then don't get an iPhone!