Hey tattoo people, a question for you...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My first was on my lower back on my spine. The first 3-5 minutes I was wondering what I got myself into because it felt like she was using a soldering iron on my back. After I got over the initial shock (and pain) I kind of enjoyed it. I picked a large tat for my first one and I am hooked too. It won't be my last for sure. Have fun with it!
  • RunawayUnderland
    Options
    Its tolerable enough to make you want more :D
    They are so addictive lol

The pain is way tolerable..
    Even for people with lower pain tolerances.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    different places can change the hurt - your location should be okay. Closer to bone the more it can hurt.... from what I'm told. Also, flabby or softer areas (like under arms). The outline tends to hurt worse than the shading - shading feels more like some one scratching a sunburn.

When you hit a painful part in the outline, just breathe in deeply through your nose and out through your mouth slowly. Or swear - it's nothing they've not heard.

I need to get the two on my feet touched up and I have a few more I want... ah where's that money tree!

Best of luck w/your ink!

PS: did you research the shop, ask to see the back where you'll be getting the work done, their autoclave or sterilization stuff - is everything individually wrapped when you get there. Ask to see their inspection license... just some thoughts.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I don't find them painful. I rather enjoy the feeling. Although the collarbone wasn't a lot of fun. Any pain associated stops once the needle leaves the skin. You don't need to eat a huge meal, just your normal intake is fine. Enjoy it!

I have one on my shoulder, it didnt really hurt. My daughter took the camera so she could catch mom in pain, it didnt happen. I dont know what to compare it to, just a constant stinging for a while. After car was painless. I used aquaphour and kept it covered for a few days, then just coated it three or so times a day.
    I am getting one on the top of my foot, to celebrate my 50 lbs weight loss. It will only be about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches.
    Good luck.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The pain is only when getting it, so only lasts that long. My tattoo artist says it feels like "kitten kisses" and we all laugh and go, yea, whatever. Ones on less fat areas hurt more (like boney/thin areas). When it starts, for me, it kinda feels good. As time goes on, I get to a point when I think, OK, I can't go much longer, and happily, it ends about then anyway. I describe myself as having a high-tolerance to pain also. I've had three kids with no drugs, kidney stones 5 times, a broken hip, a replaced hip, a fully blown disc in my back, later repaired, a hernia, also repaired, knee surgery, a hysterectomy, yadda yadda, I could go on. I can't take pain meds (heavy duty ones) because I'm allergic. So I focus a lot on getting through pain, like with breathing, and I get through. I bet you'll do great and can't wait for your next one! Welcome to the club :)
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Never had a tattoo there, so I can't rightly say pain wise, but I have 7 so far and 4 of them are on my feet (inners and outers). The way I think about it, no matter how much it hurts it's worth it. If you like the tattoo enough, go through the pain. It's part of the process of getting a tattoo.

As far as a meal goes, it's really what your body is comfortable with. A big concern that the artist should have is you fainting, so having a good meal beforehand helps. I came in for my 4th last Friday eating nothing, so I grabbed a small snack and was perfectly fine. If you're worried about it, have a meal within 2 hours of the tattoo.

Good luck and enjoy it! The pain is worth a beautiful piece of artwork you get to have for the rest of your life!
  • lamanderanna
    Options
    They are wicked addicting... I don't think they hurt at all really, but it does depend on how hard the artist hits your skin. I started falling asleep during a session with one artist, but the guy I went to after my original artist moved made me wanna jump outa my skin. Anything that is over a bone will hurt more than others, but it'll be totally worth it.

Eat a normal sized meal a couple of hours beforehand. Eat too much, or just before you head to the shop, and you run the risk of tossing it back up depending on how your nerves are. Eat too little and you could pass out. Don't overthink it. If you're hungry, eat.
  • NinjaBeth90
    Options
    Honestly I dont find they hurt too bad - It depends more on where you get them.. Ive got 6 now and i really enjoy the feeling. If im honest it's kind of addictive (i find so anyway)... You dont need to eat loads before but it is good to eat something substantial..
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Most important, dont psych yourself out too much. Have fun! The pain is not really bad at all. I would compare to a semi-bad sun/rug burn. Since yours is so small it likely wont take long, and the skin wont have much time to get tender. Your body will adjust to the pain quickly. For my bigger pieces...the pain the next couple days far outweighed the pain of getting it. It will be sore to the touch, but you have to lightly scrub it with soap several times a day while its healing. Just make sure you take care of you new tat and you wont regret it. A clean and moisturized tattoo is a happy one. I still put lotion on mine daily and they look brand new.

As most others have said, it's addicting....so you have that to look forward to. I got my first one about a year and a half ago. I've got 2 since and am planning on another before the year is out. haha
  • 319tokona
    Options
    Tats are way cool and worth the pain of getting them. I think running marathons is really cool and worth the pain so you might not wanna listen to me. hehe
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the Sacred Heart on my shoulder blade. It was my first. Honestly, I almost fell asleep in the chair. The only part that hurt was the healing. Make sure you keep it out of the sun! It burned a little, then they get itchy.
  • Hoover8it
    Hoover8it Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have 4 tattoos. One of them is on my shoulder it was a small cat I got in my twenties. When I turned 40 I had a lion tattooed on top of it and you can't even tell. I tell my friends when I turn fifty its going to be turned into a cougar (lol)
    The pain is like a annoying cat scratch.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My first one is in the same place you are describing and that one hurt less than my other 2. for me, it just felt like a pinch. ive tried both eating before and not and id recommend eating before only because i got lighteaded and queasy when i didn't eat before.