telling your partner how much you weigh

Options
1235»

Replies

• ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think part of this weight loss experience is facing some of your fears that may have held you back over time from making the decisions you are making now, maybe this is a good fear to face! You can do this!!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I tell my husband what I weigh. I was embarrassed before I decided to loose weight. I now tell him every time I weigh myself :)
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey for 2 years next week with a long stall in between. I have been honest right from day one with him.. He is a skinny guy and I will weight more then him..But not much longer..I have about 12 pounds to go then I will weigh the same as him.. He has been my rock through this journey...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about a "boyfriend," but I am always telling my hubby about my new weight, every weigh-in. (so much so that I think he gets tired of it, but always says, "That's great, hun.")
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend sees me naked every night when we go to bed and every morning when we wake up, and probably at some other time of the day when I just feel like laying on the couch in panties, when I'm coloring my hair and I don't want to stain my clothes or when I remove my workout clothes in the middle of the kitchen because it's half way between washing machine and shower. He is probably aware that I am obese (if not: hello dude, we live together for seven years now !), so what's the point about hiding my numbers ? I really don't understand that. Do you think your boyfriend will juste realize that you're heavy because you say how much you weight ?

You know, he is probably already aware. If he loves what he see and touch every day if is life, he wont run for a number...

This is exactly it
    Knowing an arbitrary number doesn't change your perception of a person's physical characteristics
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Just slap him when he asks, and your worries will vanish into thin air.

I slapped my ex the first time she asked. Never asked again. ;)

LOL!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Don't have this problem personally... in the gay world in my area, you generally have to disclose your weight before you even give your name. Shallow shallow world...
  • jamacattack
    jamacattack Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've never told my SO how much I weigh... what I do tell him is, "I've lost ___ pounds!". He's never asked or cared how much I weigh either. He is skinny and I just got a couple pounds below what he weighs... proud of myself for that! :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone how much I weigh... my profile says 164.2, but now I'm back to 168... why? I don't know.

I'm 6'1" and was married to a guy who was 6'1" AND A HALF. He had to weigh himself every time I weighed myself... and he was ONLY happy if he weighed less than me.

Hell - whatever floated his boat... I wanted to be muscular, he wanted to be skinny. :-D
  • kammie0024
    Options
    I weighed more than my husband for quite some time. I never told him my weight, and even after losing weight I have no intention of telling him. I'm sure my husband never thought I weighed more than him. My motto: 'Let them live with their delusions!'
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and was married to a guy who was 6'1" AND A HALF. He had to weigh himself every time I weighed myself... and he was ONLY happy if he weighed less than me.

Thank GOD he is an ex!!
  • Candysland2013
    Options
    I don't tell mine either... i saw what he weighed the other day but when he asked me I said "pounds" lol oh well i don't think i will ever tell him
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't know what I weigh. He's never even asked. One time him and a friend were talking - and he mentioned his weight. So I know his numbers... he isn't overweight, just a healthy BMI.

Weight doesn't seem as important to a guy as it is a girl. He might just be asking so he knows how much you have lost (?) He won't automatically dump you if he finds out your weight. I can understand feeling uncomfortable about telling, though. I don't like anyone knowing my weight. (except for people on here haha)

He already knows what you look like, the number doesn't mean a thing. He obviously loves you + finds you attractive (personality wise and physically) or he wouldn't be with you.

So, if you don't want to share the weight - just tell him so. Maybe in the future you will feel more confident about it.

It's just a number, a lifeless number... it cannot describe you. It doesn't represent you. You are not a number. You are a person.

~
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Yes, my partner knows what I weigh as I know what he weighs. He tends to never remember so if asked always says a number higher than I am.
  • mrook2009
    mrook2009 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been with my husband for 6 years, and we've been married for 2 years. I literally JUST told him how much I weigh 3 days ago!!! I'm not kidding either! I was always ashamed to tell him because I weigh more than him. I have been losing weight and starting to feel better about myself slowly but surely, so I decided to tell him. Once I did, I feel so much better that he knows because it's not a secret anymore! :) If he loves you he won't care about how much you weigh, he will be there to support you no matter what! :)
  • sfbinca
    sfbinca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife is an Ultrasound tech dealing with patients every day.
    She knows, generally to the pound, what I weigh just by looking at me.
    "You're at ..., is that about right?"
    To be clear, I lost 40 lbs a couple years ago and I've had 35 off fairly consistently since. I did it through diet and exercise - the healthy way - but she tends to like me with a bit more 'heft'. She isn't stating my weight to be cruel.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be able to tell a man how much I weighed, but I'm really happy I have.

It holds me accountable and only strengthens how I feel about my bf. And he's very supportive whether I want to lose or simply maintain.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to be ashamed/embarrassed by my weight as well.

But then I started to think about it....everyone can pretty much already see how much we weigh, right? I mean it's hard to hide. If someone is 250 and tells someone they're 120, you're going to know that's not right.

On second thought, I suppose someone could get away with lying by a few pounds...but I don't see the point in that anymore.

They probably already know around how much you weigh by how you look. It's not a bad thing, especially when you're losing weight/working toward a goal.

I think if he's supportive and kind, you should let him know the next time he asks. That way, the more you lose, you can let him know about it and you both can be excited about your progress together :)

Besides, as Jillian Michaels says, fat is nothing to be ashamed of. It's just stored energy. You're burning off that energy now and changing your body. It's exciting and it's always great to have motivation and someone rooting for you!

But if you're uncomfortable telling him, keep it to yourself. Just don't be embarrassed or ashamed. Sooo many people, all of us included, struggle with our weight. It doesn't define you.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What's the point of keeping it a secret? I mean they can really kind of tell just by looking at you around what you weigh. I mean when I weighed 200 I definitely couldn't have gotten by with saying I was only 150 pounds.

I don't mind telling anyone what I weigh. Never did really. They could see that I was fat when I was fat so what's wrong with knowing the exact number.

I guess it's just something that bothers some people.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It would have to be a life or death situation before I told my husband how much i weigh...LOL!! I think I would tell him when I get to my goal but honestly I don't feel like it's need to know information for him...LOL!!