The ABSURD things people say.....

Options

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

I also hear "Ohhhhhh, look... you're being good today [referring to my home made lunch in the lunch room]. I guess you just can't have REAL food anymore."

And of course the "If you just didn't have all the belly roll you would be totally skinny" Said while grabbing my stomach... literally, people I'm not related to or sleeping with reaching out, criticizing the part of my body I hate the most and then putting their hands on me and giving it a good jiggle.

:noway:
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A few years ago we had some people over (aquaintances not friends) One of the ladies lost a lot of weight & had dropped several clothes sizes. Another woman there said to her that since she had gotten thin maybe she could give her "fat clothes" to me!!! I was so humiliated.
  • omorgano
    omorgano Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

I am so lucky I dont get this, my husband is losing weight too so the food I cook is good for bother of us.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Within the last 2 weeks someone came up to me and said "oh my gosh, if I hadn't heard you speak I wouldn't have recognized you! What is your secret?!" I replied by laughing and saying "diet and excercise" and she seemed disappointed and said... and I quote "Well, that's not what I wanted to hear!" lol....

Another was during my last hair appointment I was discussing with my stylist about how to keep my hair from shedding so much... and she said "well, you lost all that weight, are you on some kind of pills or supplements?" and I boasted that "no, that was all hard work and sweat!"...

Many many many people are looking for a quick fix to their weight problem. It took years (in most cases) for your body to get into that state of being... after years of poor diet habits, poor excercise habits, childbirth, stress, and millions of other reasons for weight gain. Weight loss is not easy! If it were everyone would be skinny, this web site wouldn't exsist, and the fad-diet industry wouldn't consume millions of dollars every year for people spending gobs of money on a product that will promise to make their dreams come true...... OK OK OK I'm going to cut myself off here... I'm done, lol, not even going to proofread this post/rant...

The majority of members on MFP are here doing it the old fashioned way... and the way that works... good old diet/excercise... and I'm proud to support you all!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Man, when people say stuff like:

"What's your secret to losing so much weight?"
    "So what diet are you on?"
    "Why are you trying to lose weight? You look fine."
    "You've lost that much? I didn't realize you had that much on you!"

it really chaps my... oh, wait. No it doesn't.

It means that my efforts have not gone unnoticed. It means I'm being successful and it's showing up more than just on my scale (which may be hard for me to see because I see myself in the mirror every morning, so gradual changes may not be noticeable to me). It means that people are impressed with my success. In order:

- "What's your secret..?" "Thanks for noticing. I've been working hard at it with my high-fat, high-protein diet."
    - "What diet are you on?" "Heh. It's not really a specific diet. I read some information about restricting carbs, and I'm doing that."
    - "Why are you trying to lose weight? You look fine." (Okay... I wish I'd get this...)
    - "You've lost that much? I didn't realize you had that much on you!" "Yeah, I really have. It's nice to hear that it didn't look as bad as I might have guessed, but I certainly feel better with it off." (Really... why would one be insulted by somebody saying you looked way too good to have them suspect you weighed that much?)

I would suggest we should take all of these kinds of statements the way they were probably intended - as acknowledgements of the success you've had and continue to have. In turn, rather than becoming discouraged or lashing out, turn around and use that success to encourage the commenter as well. It's certainly true that some people phrase their praise more artfully than others - but it doesn't make sense to become offended because they are not very good at expressing themselves when they note your progress.

At least that's my $0.02 worth...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 lbs so far and gone from squeezing into 18s to wearing roomy 12's... and nobody's said a word. I mean, yeah, I've been spending most of my clothing budget on a gym membership so a lot of the clothes I have are too big, but still. (Then again, I would be really annoyed if I heard any of the things you guys have, so maybe I should just be grateful.)
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "You are crazy the way you worry about what you eat." "You are nuts because you exercise too much." "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you will not look good." - All have come out of one person's mouth. Over and over again..

This.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've had people ask me if I've been sick. One was really concerned that I had cancer because I was "wasting away". I was still 75 pounds overweight at the time.
  • rjwant
    rjwant Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard everything about losing weight...but my favorite is
    What's your secret?
    Don't you eat anything anymore?!

I don't have a secret and No I hardly ever eat anymore....so quit eating in front of me people! ;)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    "You must feel SO MUCH BETTER" - actually I feel.. the same.. weird but true, I am still me!

"You can't eat that, can you?!" - ... ? Why not?? o.O (Boggles my mind EVERY time)

"That's how people get anorexic you know, you just be careful." ... . o O (Eh, whu?)

"You don't need to log EVERY single thing you eat!" - You're right. I don't, unless I want to be successful in the long run. Then I do.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    "Girl, you need to eat a sandwich!" (which made me laugh) and my mom referring to me at my heaviest as "hefty".

Hefty. Not "plump", "curvaceous" , or even "heavy" or "big"...but "hefty". :explode:
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A few years back I had a really hard time with constant nausea and not being able to eat because I was so sick. Turns out I'm gluten intolerant. Went off of gluten and I'm fine now.

Anyway, I was at the dentist right after all this happened and I was still underweight and kind of sick, recovering. The receptionist looks at me and says "Wow, you're so thin, I wish I'd get Celiac Disease so I could be as thin as you."

WTF?! Yes, because being so sick and nauseous you can't function and weak from losing weight is fun stuff...

I was pretty shocked. :noway:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I got told last week that I look fine and don't need to lose anymore weight. I'm thinking WTF? I'm considered obese. I'm losing the damn weight. I wonder what she'll think when I'm actually at a healthy weight. Granted, it was coming from someone who is over 400+lbs at least and pregnant. I love the girl anyway.
  • MonicaMeeks
    MonicaMeeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You weren't "that" big to start with....

How much weight are you trying to lose........

I hope you don't get a disease you won't be able to fight it off....

I would work out like you BUT I have a life.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me that he was worried about my health and that he was praying for me.
  • shelbymoler
    shelbymoler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites: "dang, you look less fat today." and to be honest, it was nice to hear. hahaha
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "You must feel SO MUCH BETTER" - actually I feel.. the same.. weird but true, I am still me!

"You can't eat that, can you?!" - ... ? Why not?? o.O (Boggles my mind EVERY time)

"That's how people get anorexic you know, you just be careful." ... . o O (Eh, whu?)

"You don't need to log EVERY single thing you eat!" - You're right. I don't, unless I want to be successful in the long run. Then I do.

Exactly!
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    most people (not all, I know) are good hearted and well intentioned. I try to go on their intention before I react.
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "it'd be a great idea to re-instate the Bush Tax Cuts."

im thinking: man, Mitt Romney makes 10s of millions a dollar a month and pays 21% tax. i make a fraction of that and pay 28% tax. he pays less in income tax, mortgage tax and utility tax than what i pay. i still pay 1.8% more than him.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some of these are ridiculous. But I have to admit that many made me laugh. Unbelievable!
    I don't have any doozies, but frankly I don't care how someone acknowledges my weightloss. Just happy they noticed. Way better than, "So, when are you due?" People are just goofy.