Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you. The rest is just noise. :)
  • LethelW8
    Options
    Confused. I was set at 1200 myself and I am doing well, thank you. I'm also having issues meeting this goal too; always seem to be under. I actually thought this seemed low for a daily count based on most plans. Ah well, there's always butter and shortening I guess ;)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    12,000 calories

Im jealous
  • Red7Basil
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

Some people do better with more exercise allowing them to eat more calories and some people do better with eating lower calories. Some people think that their way is the best and thus ONLY true way to lose weight, when in fact everyone is different. If eating 1200 calories is working for you, keep on doing it! Best advice I can give is take all advice found on the forums (including the advice I am giving you now) with a grain of salt.

That being said, I have successfully kept a 1200 calorie diet since January and I've lost over 50 lbs.

Good luck!
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm suppose to eat 1500 cals a day but I fixed my cal intake to 1200 cals, most days I eat under my goal cals and I feel full with all I eat.

Don't worry about what people be saying or the hating about the 1200 cals. If it works for you then do what you got to do.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Yeah, basically this.

Though I am slow to help any 1,200 people.
  • McBully4
    Options
    I ate a bunch of doughnuts today
  • chinasaurus86
    Options
    i'm also a 1200 calorie person, it it takes a lot of work to eat all those calories. i find myself full and i am not even reaching my 1200 goal. it just goes to show how much bad stuff and excessive calories i was taking in by not watching what i ate. let the haters hate- if it works for you, stick with it! your body will let you know when things are working out right.
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I, too, am one of "those 1200 calorie people." This is simply because 1200/day is the goal that MFP gave me for my height, weight, and weight goal. ( If MFP had calculated 3000, or 2500, or 1450, I would eat that much. I'm not fixated on a certain number) I find that this limit works for me. If, on an occasional day I feel I need to eat a little more, then... well... I do. I have lost 5 lbs and have plenty of energy to exercise while observing this calorie limit. Why the hate? Your guess is as good as mine... I think it's because many people assume that 1200/day is not sufficient to fuel your metabolism without sending you into starvation mode. For some people, this is true. Personally, it works for me. I don't speak for anyone else. I'd just let the nasty comments roll off my back. ;)
  • cjgillespie
    cjgillespie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im not calling people mean. I want the honest truth. I'm new to this. I have no idea what I'm doing. I came here for the same reason as all of you, and want the support of my fellow MFPers. I am not "stuffed" at 1200 by any means. I have a problematic relationship with food, and always have. All I'm asking for is insight. If you think that 1200 is too low, that eventually I will plateau, I want to know this! I want your stories to help me!
  • McBully4
    Options

And still hit my goal
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my family doc suggested 1200 for me. Its an old standard for a NON starvation weight loss diet. You should be able to eat healthy, balanced meals and still lose steadily . the 1200 cal does not take in account measuring activity, metabolic rates or the position of the planets and is therefore not popular with current trends. I am sure you will hear much more.... LOL bye.... later
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

People who are never hungry rarely lose weight. Also food for thought.

SOOOOO not true. I'm actually eating less than I should right now, because of financial reasons, but when I was eating the proper amount of food, I was never hungry unless I just got done with a big workout. And I lost weight just fine. You just have to find the balance between feeding your body what it needs to subsist every day, while maintaining a moderate caloric deficit.

You don't have to feel hungry to lose weight. If you are, with all due respect, you're doing it wrong. ;)
  • larisabones
    Options
    1200 calories is often that number that most women should never go below unless you are being monitored by a medical professional. From what I know, anything under 1200 calories puts your body into starvation mode, which will hold on to fat and metabolize muscle instead. Your body uses glycogen first (short term energy storage, which is stored in muscles) . Fat is long term storage and your body will hold onto that until it absolutely has to use it. So the thought is that anything you eat will be stored for long term while your body functions from the short term storage.

I think the best thing you can do is to listen to your body, research what is best for you as an individual and maybe talk to a professional (because I am not an expert!). 1200 calories might be right for you, but just to be cautious I wouldn't go below that. And most importantly: Congrats on your success!!!
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Love this! That said, you need to find what works for you. It's different for everyone. It will take some time experimenting to find your happy medium. Best of luck!
  • McBully4
    Options

And still hit my goal

I lost 95lbs eating 1200 calories at breakfast
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think some people are too harsh on those who eat lower calories without knowing their situation. But I understand their point -- for most people, 1200 is too low for long term weight loss. Most people aren't going to be able to eat at that number forever and maintain the weight they lose.

I have a question. When you calculated your goals, how many pounds did you say you wanted to lose per week? A lot of people get numbers that are too low because they've set their goals at an unrealistic number. If you only have, for example, 10 - 20 pounds to lose, losing 2 lbs per week isn't too healthy -- you're better off losing a pound, or even half a pound, per week instead. Maybe you could try lowering your weight loss goal and see if you get a different number? That's only if you want to increase your calories, of course, and you don't seem to.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then don't worry about the naysayers. It works for me and I never feel deprived or starved.
  • OliLloyd
    OliLloyd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

That's generalised. Different bodies and different metabolic rates define starvation mode. For example, I ate 1000 a day for 2 years and lost 4-5 stone. Starvation mode is a weird thing to define and/or even bring up at all.
    1200 calories is fine so long as you dont feel weak and you are seeing results you are looking for.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump