Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• omgoreocookies
    Options
    WOW, i honestly did not know 1200/cal was too low? im not trying to lose weight though, just be more healthy.
    im 5 foot though, so i usually eat under 1200 per day. I did some exercise, thats okay right? i try my best to incorporate fruits and vegetables as best as i can.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I ate a bunch of doughnuts today

And still hit my goal

I lost 95lbs eating 1200 calories at breakfast

tumblr_lvq6kxD9Vb1qjmxl4.gif
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

Not true.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Le sigh....so true
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as a follow-up to my last post...neither do I have trouble fulfilling my 1200 limit, nor do I claim to be "Stuffed" eating 1200 calories per day... It takes self control for me to not overeat. I don't eat 1200/day for show, or claim to always feel satisfied. If I feel I need more fuel, I up my intake with healthy foods accordingly.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum calories you MFP can set for you. Generally someone sets there profile up too aggressively it gets set to that. Commonly most of the people saying the site doesn't work is set to 1200 calories. Some of the Veterans here get tired of it after a while.

Now if your short (>5'3") and don't have a ton of weigh to lose. That's a different story.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm sorry, and I hate to be one of the mean people... but some of the replies to this thread are ridiculous. All of the "haters gonna hate just do what works for you everyone is different stuff" is kind of BS. Yes, everyone is different. However, weight loss is alos a science. We all have this wonderful thing called metabolism that keeps us burning calories. I guarantee that 99% of the people eating 1200 calories, have a metabolism much HIGHER than 1200 calories. Therefore, if you keep eating under 1200, you're going to bring your metabolism down eventually. That's not speculation. That's not "what works for me." That's SCIENCE.

MFP is not the end all be all in weight loss. It is an amazing tool, but it does a simple math forumla to find your goals, which can often be inaccurate. If you say you want to lose 2 pounds a week, and you only have 20 pounds to lose, it's going to tell you to eat 1200 because theoretically that's how much you'd need to eat to lose that fast. However, that doesn't mean it's healthy for your body to have that few calories.

Educate yourselves. Find your BMRs. When you find out that - surprise - your BMR is above 1200 calories, start eating more. And - surprise - you'll keep losing weight. There are some VERY RARE exceptions but this will work for 99% of people out there. All of us mean people are usually trying to help. I know I am. But it also gets tiring seeing people perpetuate the same "just keep eating less" crap every day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    everyone starts off at 1200 calories

Hell no, not EVERYONE - only people who are tiny already OR who don't have much to lose and who choose an unrealistic weight loss goal. I've never had a 1200 calorie goal and never will, that is just too little food for me to eat on a regular basis.
    Having said that - I don't care what number other people choose to eat - 1200 seems way too low to be sustainable to me, but I appreciate that other people aren't looking for something they can do for the long term, they want a short term, quick, weight loss plan - hence 1200 cals.

And 1200 is the minimum calorie goal that MFP will recommend - that's why lots of people are on this number.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's a public forum. Unfortunately that means you get a lot of rude, thoughtless comments. However, check out these links and see what they are not so nicely saying...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Doesn't work for everyone for some reason, but it works for a lot of people. If you stop losing on 1200 per day, it's something to consider. Congrats on your loss so far!

Btw, MFP told me about 1490 per day and I could NEVER meet that goal. I was SOOO hungry all the time. Learned about eating more to lose and now average about 2000 calories per day and am seeing losses.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Im not calling people mean. I want the honest truth. I'm new to this. I have no idea what I'm doing. I came here for the same reason as all of you, and want the support of my fellow MFPers. I am not "stuffed" at 1200 by any means. I have a problematic relationship with food, and always have. All I'm asking for is insight. If you think that 1200 is too low, that eventually I will plateau, I want to know this! I want your stories to help me!

A brief outline of my story:

Started at 218 lbs (5'8") here on MFP, but I was higher before I started here (not sure since I never officially weighed myself).

I started trying to stick to 1200 calorie diet and not eating exercise calories back. Lost 20 lbs like a snap, then completely and totally stalled out. Lost nothing for weeks on end. Gained 12 of that back after spending two months undereating when I tried to go back to eating at maintenance. Started eating between 1500-1700 calories per day plus my exercise calories and got all the way down to 176 (42 total pounds lost - pre-baby). It was much slower than before, but I felt great, felt like I could keep it up permanently, and had the energy to do what I wanted to do in life. With the tools I've learned from MFP, I've been able to manage a very healthy pregnancy weight gain as well instead of blowing up like some women who overindulge while pregnant.

I encourage you to learn about TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and BMR (basal metabolic rate). Try to eat between those numbers whenever possible and do eat most of your exercise calories back.

I also highly recommend setting some fitness goals for yourself. You will have setbacks along the way, so don't be upset when you hit one. They are expected, and though they may last a while, they will eventually pass. It's important to have other goals that you can continue working toward in the meantime when that happens.

Good luck to you :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If you are not anorexic and don't have a medical problem and are truly not hungry and are not losing too fast for your weight --- then ignore the 1200 calorie thing - its an arbitrary number made up to ensure you get vitamins and minerals while totally ignoring that people are different and their needs vary.

MFP is full of people who believe 1200 actually has some meaning

Starvation mode only exists in rare circumstances.

A little bit of google shows a lot
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but for me it was an AHA! moment learning that food is not the enemy, but rather finding the correct nutritional balance for me was important to make this a healthy journey, not only about losing numbers on a scale.

Once I figured out food is fuel, to increase and improve my metabolism it got even simpler.

If you are interested, this is a must read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Do the math and figure out your BMR and TDEE. Then aim for 20% under your TDEE. I've been losing a pound a week, successfully.

I guess it comes down to this - do you want your weight loss to be maintainable and lasting? While cutting your calories drastically will work, especially at the beginning, you are slowing your metabolism and training your body to expect less. Eventually when you increase calories, you will gain weight. I'd rather lose weight slowly of body fat, knowing what my body needs with my BMR and TDEE.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people say they have only 15 pounds to lose and they want to lose it yesterday. Well of course their calories are set to 1200 b/c that's as low as it will go. For me I'm 5'1" and am only trying to lose about 10...so yes MFP gave me 1200 calories at first and I got some haters too. Just do what works for you....but I'll tell you I feel better having upped mine very slightly to 1300 b/c my BMR is not much over 1200 and some days like today I just don't get to 1300 net either.

If 1200 works for you then stick with if the phooey on the haters!
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 is adequate for most women around 5'3" and below. I know women who are super fit and workout daily who eat 1700 daily. That's why I get upset when I see some dairies of people complaining that they can't lose weight.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 because that seems to be the default here for females. I talked to my doctor and we decided 1400 was better for me to start off with. I was dong fine on 1200 but better on 1400. That's me, since we are all different you have to find what works for you. If it's working, you are staying healthy and aren't starving then sounds like you are doing fine. Keep up the good work.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I stayed around 1200 to 1400 everyday for a year lost 60 lbs...didnt go into "starvation mode"....only did cardio for that year and my muscles didnt dissinegrate ...according to 80% of people on here i shuda died and been left with no muscle after that year...after lifting again for past 4 mo im bigger and stronger now than i was in college when i did power lifting meets...just do wat works and use common sense
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm 5', and one of those "1200" people. Not because MFP set me there, but because my doctor did. She also told me once I get to the point where I feel like I'm not losing as much weight - to up it lightly (1400 - 1500) and it should 'jump start' my system.

I only have 15-30lbs to lose though.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Yep, perfectly sums it up! :laugh:
  • momo0884
    Options
    I would love 1200 calories a day, lol. According to MFP, I'm supposed to stick to 1510 calories...it's been manageable but I also have to pick and choose what I eat and be careful on my choices. I also have to make sure if I near my calorie that I actually DO go workout either at home or at the gym. Enjoy your 1200 calories and forget the haters :)
  • larisabones
    Options
    Okay, I'm sorry, and I hate to be one of the mean people... but some of the replies to this thread are ridiculous. All of the "haters gonna hate just do what works for you everyone is different stuff" is kind of BS. Yes, everyone is different. However, weight loss is alos a science. We all have this wonderful thing called metabolism that keeps us burning calories. I guarantee that 99% of the people eating 1200 calories, have a metabolism much HIGHER than 1200 calories. Therefore, if you keep eating under 1200, you're going to bring your metabolism down eventually. That's not speculation. That's not "what works for me." That's SCIENCE.

MFP is not the end all be all in weight loss. It is an amazing tool, but it does a simple math forumla to find your goals, which can often be inaccurate. If you say you want to lose 2 pounds a week, and you only have 20 pounds to lose, it's going to tell you to eat 1200 because theoretically that's how much you'd need to eat to lose that fast. However, that doesn't mean it's healthy for your body to have that few calories.

Educate yourselves. Find your BMRs. When you find out that - surprise - your BMR is above 1200 calories, start eating more. And - surprise - you'll keep losing weight. There are some VERY RARE exceptions but this will work for 99% of people out there. All of us mean people are usually trying to help. I know I am. But it also gets tiring seeing people perpetuate the same "just keep eating less" crap every day.

Yes, exactly! Science, people!