Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I ate a bunch of doughnuts today

And still hit my goal

I lost 95lbs eating 1200 calories at breakfast

tumblr_lvq6kxD9Vb1qjmxl4.gif

I eat bacon a few times a week, no joke.
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for 5 months with treadmill and
    gained 10 lbs. Now I eat 2000 calories and lost 5 lbs
    One and half inches in a month lifting weights 3x week.

1200 didn't work for me. I began losing when I upped my calories.
    I'm also only 5'4".
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm sorry, and I hate to be one of the mean people... but some of the replies to this thread are ridiculous. All of the "haters gonna hate just do what works for you everyone is different stuff" is kind of BS. Yes, everyone is different. However, weight loss is alos a science. We all have this wonderful thing called metabolism that keeps us burning calories. I guarantee that 99% of the people eating 1200 calories, have a metabolism much HIGHER than 1200 calories. Therefore, if you keep eating under 1200, you're going to bring your metabolism down eventually. That's not speculation. That's not "what works for me." That's SCIENCE.

MFP is not the end all be all in weight loss. It is an amazing tool, but it does a simple math forumla to find your goals, which can often be inaccurate. If you say you want to lose 2 pounds a week, and you only have 20 pounds to lose, it's going to tell you to eat 1200 because theoretically that's how much you'd need to eat to lose that fast. However, that doesn't mean it's healthy for your body to have that few calories.

Educate yourselves. Find your BMRs. When you find out that - surprise - your BMR is above 1200 calories, start eating more. And - surprise - you'll keep losing weight. There are some VERY RARE exceptions but this will work for 99% of people out there. All of us mean people are usually trying to help. I know I am. But it also gets tiring seeing people perpetuate the same "just keep eating less" crap every day.

Thank you!

I'd also like to add that eating 1200 calories per day is not sustainable long term for most people. The closer I got to my goal, the MORE I had to eat.

Now I eat anywhere from 1600-2200 calories a day, and I continue to lose weight.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

LOL yes!! love this
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Just because someone posts something that you do not agree with, does not make them rude.

Most people should not be eating 1200 or less. You should find out what your BMR is and never eat below that. Sites such as http://fat2fitradio.com can tell you what your current BMR is. BMR is what you need to eat to maintain your organs doing nothing.

1200 is the number MFP gives most people when they choose to lose 2 lb/week. MFP does not take BMR into consideration when giving calorie goals.

If you can eat more than 1200 and lose weight, why wouldn't you?

FWIW, I'm 4' 10 1/2" and my daily goal is 1600.
  • nastycivilian
    nastycivilian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a 1,200 goal as well. I found it too hard to do because I was always hungry, haha, so I had to adjust some "goals" & now they gave me a 1,240 goal. Doh.. wishing it was more like a 1,800 goal!
    I am new to the forums & had no idea there were haters about 1200 calorie women. MFP told me 1200..heck, I wish I weren't one of those 1200 or 1240 calorie women because heck, I'd love to chow down more!
    Incredible that you have a hard time even getting to 1200 calories.. wish I had that problem, lol!
    Keep doing what you're doing & listen to your body..not to other people's negativity. Good luck!
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the tickers....the majority of the people truly hating on the 1200 calorie people either don't have tickers or have lost less than 20 pounds. The majority of the people who say use 1200 as a guideline and adjust it from there are the ones who have lost truckloads of weight. Guess who I believe?
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    people are just trying to be helpful. i don't know why some people get so mean.

i think 1200 calories is not dangerous, and you will lose weight but it is true that it's not practical for the long term.

i think thats why its ok to eat more one day and less the next, and balance it out on a weekly basis.

the sensitivity, i believe comes from people who are triggered by unhealthy low calorie diets and the promotion of starvation and eating disorders. people may feel frustrated and uncomfortable supporting you if they think you are eating too little.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a 1,200 goal as well. I found it too hard to do because I was always hungry, haha, so I had to adjust some "goals" & now they gave me a 1,240 goal. Doh.. wishing it was more like a 1,800 goal!
    I am new to the forums & had no idea there were haters about 1200 calorie women. MFP told me 1200..heck, I wish I weren't one of those 1200 or 1240 calorie women because heck, I'd love to chow down more!
    Incredible that you have a hard time even getting to 1200 calories.. wish I had that problem, lol!
    Keep doing what you're doing & listen to your body..not to other people's negativity. Good luck!

Try reducing your expected weekly weight loss to -1 lb per week. That should give you quite a bit more calories to work with, and you will still lose.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

If you're always hungry up your calorie goal :huh:
  • cjgillespie
    cjgillespie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't remember what I set my weight loss goal too. I think 2 pounds per week, but I am only 5'3, and have 100lbs to lose. And I'm stuck behind a desk 10 hours a day. Does that make more sense for me to be at 1200? Another thing I took into consideration is the fact that I am still breastfeeding. My dr encouraged me to drop my calories and as long as my milk supply didn't drop, that I was still consuming enough calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Another point to consider - when MFP recommneds that you "eat 1200 cals" - this actually means "eat 1200 cals plus extra when you exercise". Most people here exercise at least a little bit which means that you would rarely be eating just 1200.

I see so many people say "I eat what MFP recommends" but then qualify it by adding "but not exercise cals". If you aren't eating extra on the days that you exercise then you aren't eating "what MFP recommends".
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and eat 2,000 calories a day (and that is a cut). I use a fitbit now to track my calories and my activity level. I love food, and low calorie diets are not for me because I just end up binging on them and overeating. I need to eat! ;)

I recommend searching for the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" and joining. ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't remember what I set my weight loss goal too. I think 2 pounds per week, but I am only 5'3, and have 100lbs to lose. And I'm stuck behind a desk 10 hours a day. Does that make more sense for me to be at 1200? Another thing I took into consideration is the fact that I am still breastfeeding. My dr encouraged me to drop my calories and as long as my milk supply didn't drop, that I was still consuming enough calories.

You can actually log breastfeeding into your calories. It's under the Food database, so I'd recommend doing that.

As others said, try to determine your BMR and TDEE numbers and go from there.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Don't even think about other people, just do what you have to do to lose weight in a healthy way. I can't eat 1200 calories because that's too many for me. I have a thyroid problem and my medication is changed every time blood work is done. I'm at the highest level of thyroid medication and the doctor told me to try to exercise more than normal, which I can't do until my foot heals from hurting it 8 months ago, and to lower my calories a little at a time until I begin to lose weight. I eat around 1,000 daily and my doctor is fine with that. Keep a positive outlook and don't let anyone make you feel bad.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Also while i agree eating more once u get to ur gosl is great after i lost my wright i now eat around 2k .....but when i started it

Wud have taken me 3 yrs to lose the weight if i wud have listened to all this ur bodies a wood burner feed it stuff
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I ate a bunch of doughnuts today

And still hit my goal

I lost 95lbs eating 1200 calories at breakfast

tumblr_lvq6kxD9Vb1qjmxl4.gif

I eat bacon a few times a week, no joke.

April-Fools.gif
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Then 1200 may be appropriate for you, for now. But keep in mind MFP wants you to eat your exercise calories and you should eat a little extra while you are still breast feeding.

There will come a time when you will plateau, and 1200 will no longer work for you. Then you will need to eat more.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

Ah, okay. That could change things slightly. First of all, of course listen to what your doctor says, over what we say. Secondly, since you have 100 pounds to lose, you may be able to get away with eating only 1200 AT FIRST. For obese people, it's okay to eat at a bigger deficit for a while because your body has so much fat to burn off. Eventually though, you will need to increase your calories to stay healthy. I still recommend finding your BMR and going from there. Good luck!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    everyone starts off at 1200 calories

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: