Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

Starvation mode is different for everybody. It depends on your Basal Metabolic Rate. 1200 calories is just a number that MFP came up with as a guideline for what the average healthy person should eat.
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im sticking to my 1200kcals a day monday to friday, but burning an average of 600kcals a day - then indulging a bit more on a weekend. Ive lost 10lbs, but my body shape is changing from the cardio and weights, so I assume Im building muscle.

Im trying not to think of it as a diet this time, rather a way of life to become the fit healthy person I should have been throughout my 20s.

Dont worry about what other say unless you are starving yourself.

Good luck on your journey.

x
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Everybody' and every body is different. There are a lot of people here how are big into fitness. I'm sure they would just fall over in starvation based on their calorie expenditures. Feel it out and figure out what works best for you. The other raging debate is eating back your exercise calories. Search that one in the threads and never ask that question out loud! :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't the people who agree with everything I believed that helped me the most, it was the ones who challenged my way of thinking. That's what makes having the community such a great thing, because if we keep doing what we've always done, we're going to keep getting the same results as we've always gotten.

I always believed that losing weight meant dieting, and dieting meant eating a lot less than I was before and being hungry and uncomfortable. Heck, by the time I joined here, I didn't believe it was even possible for me to lose weight, because it was SOOOOO DAMN HARD! My weight loss was painfully slow in the past, and I thought the only way to keep losing would be to keep cutting off more and more calories, until I was eating well under 1000 a day. I got to the point where I said, "F this! If it's this hard to lose, I'd rather be heavier!"

Fast forward five years, and I joined here not believing I could lose weight, but for some reason gave it a shot. Tried 1200 at first, like everyone else, but that lasted all of one month, until I realized that the only way I could lose 2 pounds a week was if I caught a stomach flu. So I switched to a more appropriate one pound a week... and the world changed.

The clouds were fluffier, the sun shone brighter, and rainbows had more color.

Well, not quite, but it made everything easier. Then easier still when I switched up my macros to allow for more protein. And easier still when I started strength training. All the things that people are so reluctant to try... made things easier!

So I lost the bulk of my weight eating 1800-2000 calories a day total, currently still trying to figure out how much I can eat to maintain which seems to be about 2300. I'm 40 years old, 5'5 and about 132 pounds.

And that's another point. If I takes 2300 to maintain my weight, why would I have to eat HALF of that to lose?! Like most people, when I gained weight, I gained it slowly. I was probably only eating 100 calories over my TDEE when I was gaining. I wasn't being a gluttonous pig. I was just eating a little too much, and exercising a little too little. So why cut my calorie intake in half when just cutting a couple hundred off would do this job?!
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

:laugh:
  • CraigKirkland
    Options
    If you go a week with really low caloric intake, your metabolism slows down to compensate which is what starvation mode is. In order to lose Fat, not Muscle, you should only run about a 500 calorie deficit per day and up you calories to break even one day per week. This regimen keeps your body from going into starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode, it consumes more muscle than fat which actually increases your body fat % and eats away the valuable muscle that drives your metabolism in the first place. This is why so many people fail at diets because the focus is on weight and not body fat % or lean body mass. If you are in it for the long haul, please treasure your muscle and even build it up with resistance training. You may not loose as much weight as fast, but you will notice a much more pronounced toning and you won't be starving as much.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't the people who agree with everything I believed that helped me the most, it was the ones who challenged my way of thinking. That's what makes having the community such a great thing, because if we keep doing what we've always done, we're going to keep getting the same results as we've always gotten.

I always believed that losing weight meant dieting, and dieting meant eating a lot less than I was before and being hungry and uncomfortable. Heck, by the time I joined here, I didn't believe it was even possible for me to lose weight, because it was SOOOOO DAMN HARD! My weight loss was painfully slow in the past, and I thought the only way to keep losing would be to keep cutting off more and more calories, until I was eating well under 1000 a day. I got to the point where I said, "F this! If it's this hard to lose, I'd rather be heavier!"

Fast forward five years, and I joined here not believing I could lose weight, but for some reason gave it a shot. Tried 1200 at first, like everyone else, but that lasted all of one month, until I realized that the only way I could lose 2 pounds a week was if I caught a stomach flu. So I switched to a more appropriate one pound a week... and the world changed.

The clouds were fluffier, the sun shone brighter, and rainbows had more color.

Well, not quite, but it made everything easier. Then easier still when I switched up my macros to allow for more protein. And easier still when I started strength training. All the things that people are so reluctant to try... made things easier!

So I lost the bulk of my weight eating 1800-2000 calories a day total, currently still trying to figure out how much I can eat to maintain which seems to be about 2300. I'm 40 years old, 5'5 and about 132 pounds.

And that's another point. If I takes 2300 to maintain my weight, why would I have to eat HALF of that to lose?! Like most people, when I gained weight, I gained it slowly. I was probably only eating 100 calories over my TDEE when I was gaining. I wasn't being a gluttonous pig. I was just eating a little too much, and exercising a little too little. So why cut my calorie intake in half when just cutting a couple hundred off would do this job?!

listen to her....she is awesome.

How much you eat has no impact on how I am doing in my own life. I know that the reason why I have been able to do this for almost 2 years, be in the best shape of my life is because I DIDN'T eat 1200 calories a day. If you look at long term success here, it is usually the case. I am 4'11'' and eat between 1700-2000 calories a day and I know I can maitain this for the rest of my life.
  • JPFleming77
    JPFleming77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What about a Doctor who recommends a 1200 calorie diet? I have lost 43 pounds by eating right and exercise. I try to maintain a 1200 calorie diet and I would say if you are eating properly it is HARD to sometimes make it to that number. I have a friend who has lost 50+ pounds and her calorie intake is much higher than mine. This just shows you how different people are. Everybody thinks that their way is right but there are so many ways to loose wieght it is crazy. I agree with everybody from above that said do what is right for you. You are the only one that has to look into the mirror. Good luck on your journey. I know that it is hard, but in the end it is all worth it.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi cj, looks like we joined in the same month. I've noticed the comments also and have wondered why ppl think that's too low a goal. Something they don't understand is when we're short (I'm 5'3") we naturally need less calories.

Not trying to sound rude but this is actually not true AT ALL. It's a HUGE misconception. I'm 5'2" and eat 1500 calories a day and lose. I would starve if I ate 1200 a day. Some days I eat 1700..still lose..has nothing to do with your height. If you train your metabolism to work PROPERLY and you fuel your body every 3 hours you can eat way more than 1200 and lose. That being said, do what you need to do or what works for you.

Me too. I'm 5'1 and started at 1200 but just wanted to kill people. Then I read Dans Roadmap - and low and behold I now eat 1500 (but quite often go over) and I am losing about 1lb per week without wanting to commit murder.

Yes 1200 works for some people - BUT why eat so low if you don't have to, work through the roadmap and see if the numbers change anything for you. This is a lifestyle change for me and I can't do it where I cut out everything I love to lose weight quickly as I'll put it all back on again when I start eating more once I've lost the weight. I have no intention on living of chicken and veg for the rest of my life. Smaller changes make for longer lasting goals IMHO.

Good luck with your weight loss in the end you can only do what works for you.

Oh and people against 1200 aren't haters - we just want to help people make life long changes instead of getting stuck on the rollercoster of yo yo dieting.

sorry just to add with the breastfeeding I do think 1200 is far to low and you should be on 1500 minimum. Just due to the extra milk you need to produce to keep your baby happy. But honestly read the roadmap and go from there. :flowerforyou:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I'll bow out of this conversation with a quote from a good friend who helps with the Road Map.

" I still don't understand the desire to start at dead bottom bare minimum safe level, with probably no exercise normally included in the recommendation too. That's like buying the cheapest tools and expecting them to work well or last long. Or lowest barely safest anything for that matter. I know the cheap mentality works for somethings, like my workout shirt, but who cares if it disintegrates in the wash after 3 months of wearing it. But your body, trying to make improvements? Why take the least possible recommendation."

The moral is in order for the 1200 to work you need to eat back the calories lost in working out.
    Especially if you are already getting lean.
    The more fat you have to lose the better the low cal diet works.
    Evaluate your numbers every 10lbs and take a diet break before starting anything new.
  • cryscabral
    Options
    The thing is that 1200 calories too low for most people, but MFP kind of uses it as the "default" for women who want to lose weight. MFP won't let you set your goals to any lower than 1200, but in reality, the limit should probably be even higher than that. I suggest you go to this website to find out your BMR (basal metabolic rate): http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Your BMR is the amount of calories it takes your body every day just to stay alive. You'll notice it's probably more than 1200. Therefore, you should probably be eating more than 1200; your body needs it!

Congrats on your progress so far! I lost some weight eating at 1200 at first too, before I found out about BMR and stuff. Read around the forums; there's a LOT of information available. After I got educated I started eating more like 1400-1500 calories a day, I lost weight just as fast and was much happier. Good luck!

I think this summed it up nicely. I just had the "Is a 1200 cal limit too low?" talk with a friend in the nutrition field. She reassured me that 1200 is very low and a "worst case scenario" borderline. I would suggest calculating your BMR. It was explained to me that this number is roughly the amount of cals you would need if you were lying in a bed simply breathing (not even rolling over) in order to keep your body healthy. I'm 5'2" 130lbs and my BMR came out to between 1350-1400 cals. It was suggested to me personally that I really shouldn't be under 1300, and should be higher than 1400 if I'm working out. If it's working for you, stick with it! Just listen to your body and realize that at some point you may plateau with the 1200 cal limit and it's totally okay for you to up that if you're remaining active! That being said keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!
  • cjgillespie
    cjgillespie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I'm kinda new here. I made a profile, and filled out my information, and MFP came up with 1200/cal day as my goal. Now I had no idea if that what considered very low, or average, or whatever. But I have been trying to stick with it. And I'm actually finding that I need to make myself eat MORE that I want to just to get to 1200. And I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.

Welcome to MFP. Home of the judgemental.

haha! a very warm welcome indeed! nice to meet you sir. :)
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    Im not calling people mean. I want the honest truth. I'm new to this. I have no idea what I'm doing. I came here for the same reason as all of you, and want the support of my fellow MFPers. I am not "stuffed" at 1200 by any means. I have a problematic relationship with food, and always have. All I'm asking for is insight. If you think that 1200 is too low, that eventually I will plateau, I want to know this! I want your stories to help me!

You will eventually plateau, but not because of 1200 cals - because everyone plateaus. That's just part of the game. If 1200 cals is working for you and you're seeing steady losses, then stick with it. 10 minutes of skimming the Success Stories forum will very quickly make you realize that there is no ONE WAY to successfully lose weight. When (not if) you plateau, you can adjust as needed. You can cross that bridge when you get to it.

That being said, YOU need to know what you can sustain and what you can't. You won't be on 1200 cals forever, since when you hit your goal you will switch to a maintenance calorie count. So what you need to concentrate on before then is developing GOOD habits which you can sustain forever. Not a diet a lifestyle change, blah blah...

But yeah - if it's working for you, and you are forming habits you can live with - then keep doing it.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Interesting that alot of people say that MFP sets 1200 for women. When I joined and put in my goal weight and target weekly weight loss (1lb per week), it said 1400 for me.
    Now because I am near my goal, everytime I put my new weight in, it puts me to 1200, but I change it back to 1400 because I know that is best for me.
    Do what is best for you, but best not to go below 1200, not because of starvation mode, but really to make sure that you are getting enough nutrients to stay healthy.
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calories for a while. Thats what this site said to do. However I just went to the BMR calculator and it said my body needs 1475 calories if someone wants to give me their opinion on what I'm doing right or wrong my diary is open and I'm all ears (and a little bit of fat) ;)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    So glad someone used the phrase "haters" in the very first response. This thread did not disappoint.

1200 is fine if you have a lot of weight to lose. But to expect to survive on 1200 calories a day indefinitely is unreasonable, and if you ever get into serious physical fitness, you'll be doing yourself a disservice to eat a low-calorie diet.

I don't ever bash anyone for eating 1200 calories a day. I did it for a while myself, but it makes sense to keep reevaluating your progress, and to realize that there will (hopefully) come a point when 2lbs/week loss is just not feasible anymore
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    everyone starts off at 1200 calories

No they don't.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. As a fellow 1200 calorier, I just ignore it. There's a lot of nasty people in the world that think their way is the only way. If it's working, stick with it, if it stops working, change it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the desire to start at dead bottom bare minimum safe level....

This, too.

I think of it as using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. Sure, you'll kill that little poop-eating *kitten*, but you'll do a lot of collateral damage in the process.

Why jump straight to the most restrictive way, before trying something a little more user-friendly?

Our bodies are remarkably adaptive. How we eat while losing affects how we'll be able to eat to maintain. Get your body used to getting by on the minimum and you'll be eating at "dieting" levels to maintain.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

:noway:

You won't go into starvation mode from a matter of days under 1,200. That's silly.