Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

HAHA Love this. I made a lot of friends who were at #6 when I was at #4. Now all of my friends are graduating to #8 while I'm still somewhere between #6 and #7. Perhaps I should skip right to #8 and stop wasting my time.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the desire to start at dead bottom bare minimum safe level....

Really? Because I completely understand the desire to set MFP to help you lose the most amount of weight in the shortest amount of time. Even though I don't agree with trying to lose 30lbs in a month, I totally get why someone would want to.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more

This is my favorite. It's an amazing transformation that happens when a woman starts out eating an entire pizza for dinner to being "stuffed" at 800 calories and complaining that she "can't eat" any more. I'm pretty sure you're not "stuffed", you're just terrified of eating anything that isn't "lite" or some variation of salad.
  • sionnain
    Options
    I burn less than 1200 on a regular day at work when I don't go to the gym, so it's very difficult for me to lose on 1200 a day unless i'm doing some form of exercise - THEN on those days i up it. But i'm a small sized person, and MFP won't let anybody go under 1200 automatically.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calories for a while. Thats what this site said to do. However I just went to the BMR calculator and it said my body needs 1475 calories if someone wants to give me their opinion on what I'm doing right or wrong my diary is open and I'm all ears (and a little bit of fat) ;)

I would go to 1500 calories a day and eat back your exercise calories, you will start to lose more inches than weight and look better...but most people on this site care more about a number they see once a week...
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 62, short, and have low thyroid. All of this means slow metabolism. I've set my calorie goal at 1100. This is working for me. If it stops working I'll up the amount of calories. In the meantime, I'm sticking with it.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for 5 months with treadmill and
    gained 10 lbs.

No you didn't.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 cals a day since April and have lost 13 kilos (and 45 cms). Nearly at goal and have been fine. Exercise burning off 400 cals most days too. I was on 1400 cals a day and eating back exercise calories for 12 months prior to that and lost 6 kilos and it was a trial. Only 4.7 kilos until I am goal.
  • chickie11
    chickie11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do whats best for you!!! I do a program that I eat less than 1000 cals a day...the food is nutritionaly packed for this extreme low calorie..Ive never been in starvation mode thus far...but re assess when your losses slow... We are all individuals...avoid the haters and stick with the great ones here..there are many!!
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just personal experience...everyone is different, but I manually raised my 1200 calorie limit to 1500....and usually eat around 1700 a day by eating back exercise calories. Not only am I still losing at the same rate, but I feel much happier and more energetic. This gives me the ability to work-out the way I want to and shape my body. I also feel like I can continue this long-term rather than lose a lot of weight short-term but then gain it all back. Everyone is different....but maybe give 1500 calories a try and see how you feel...try it all out and choose what works best for you.
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my dr, has me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. i am always 100calories short of it, but i'm eating healthy now. i eat tons of fruit and veggies, chicken and turkey. there are days that it feels like i've ate more than that and i haven't. and there are days when i know i'm not getting enough, and dip into the calories i get from exercising. she told me as long as i eat and i don't feel hungry i'm good. not once have i felt like i'm starving. keep up the good owrk.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't think that 1200 is exactly what they want you to eat. My FITNESS pal...is what it says on the top of the page. It's about being fit. The idea is that people exercise and eat back those exercise cals, therefore eating more than 1200 but burning anything over off.
    The more I read the more I think starvation mode, as it seems set out in MFP, is a myth. Don't get me wrong, those that have had eating disorders or done extreme diets can struggle with metabolic issues - but being on 1200 calories a day is sufficient (maybe not satisfying though) to run most small-ish bods (with no exercise that is).
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi cj, looks like we joined in the same month. I've noticed the comments also and have wondered why ppl think that's too low a goal. Something they don't understand is when we're short (I'm 5'3") we naturally need less calories.

5'3 lost it and maintained year and 1/2 and I eat 1600 very lowest to generally 1800-2000 cals a day. I am short...It depends on many things...I could not eat 1200 a day. But, many follow the 1200 cal. If it works for you do it.. I just wanted to add, eating above that works too:-) Good luck to you:-)
  • cjspawn120
    Options
    Don't worry about haters, whatever works for you works for you. myfitnesspal.com set mine as 1200 as well! (unless I work out) You should be fine! How long did it take you to lsoe 5 lbs just curious? 1200 has been hard to stick with but I have 5 to 10 lbs I'd LOVEEEEEEEE to shed so your post gave me hope
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is a bunch of crap. It's called "famine response"... here's an interesting short article on it.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

I eat around 1200 a day. Sometimes more if I exercise. Sometimes a little less. Everyone is a little different.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    everyone starts off at 1200 calories

That is not true, I started at 1,420.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ok can someone help me out then, i am on 1200 cals per day. But right now im not losing weight. For a few months over the summer i stopped logging and ate what i wanted (within reason) and somehow lost weight.

So now ive started logging again and ive gained a few pounds back. I know in the back of my mind that i should put my calories per day up but im too scared to fo it incase i get fatter!!!! Aaaaaahhhh!!! HELP!
  • jehuster
    Options
    So I'm kinda new here. I made a profile, and filled out my information, and MFP came up with 1200/cal day as my goal. Now I had no idea if that what considered very low, or average, or whatever. But I have been trying to stick with it. And I'm actually finding that I need to make myself eat MORE that I want to just to get to 1200. And I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.

I found that too when I first started. You will find that some people on here are control freaks and they believe because something works for them it's the gospel on how to lose weight. Its all trial and error, you will learn along the way...and its YOUR trial and error for YOUR body and not theirs. I can say that what works in the beginning might and I say might not work down the road and you may have to switch things up but that is for YOU to decice and no one else. Remember, it is YOUR journey. You will also find out that when you ask cetain questions you might get 100 difference answers so again YOU will have to decide what is best for YOU. I wish you a happy and healthy New Lifestyle Journey.

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, don't waste your time with the "haters". I've noticed lots of women say that MFP figures they should eat 1200 cals a day...hmmm...sounds like its more than a coincidence.

^^^ THIS

It's your journey to fitness, not theirs. Screw the haters.
  • Faith2Bfit
    Faith2Bfit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

People just love to throw around starvation mode without proper explanation. So I guess since I ate 1150 calories yesterday I must be in starvation mode .............................................................

I agree!!! I have read several health studies that say that this in a myth anyway..... Yes if i only eat 1 cupcake for the day my body might starve but if I eat fresh veggies and fruit all day and IM FULL... but im under 1200 Im pretty sure ill be fine :) It s all about healthy choices and not eating empty calories and do what is BEST for you.