Does an hour of cardio a day burn muscle?

Options

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you actually want to build muscle, the more cardio you do, the more you need to eat, and your cardio need not interfere with your muscle recovery.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the other posters.....I prefer short burst of intense cardio. Helps burn more calories without risking muscle loss from excessive cardio session's. besides, why in the hell would ya wanna spend an hour doing cardio?? Hit it hard, hit it fast and get the hell outta there!!!
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP

Exactly. Douchery at its finest.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think your body has a way of knowing 40 minutes in order to switch over to muscle.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do cardio for about an hour today, but I heard past 40 minutes and your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat :( is this true?
    NOT TRUE! its anything after 40min 11sec. (sarcasm)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you workout your muslces on the same day you do lots of cardio, you should be fine. I have a friend who is constantly gaining muscle mass by doing 6 miles in 48 mins and then he hits the weights for another hour. He also drinks a protein shake while doing weights.

Edit: He worksout 3 to 4 times a week and he's constantly gaining muscle.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP
    u hate us but cant stay away. we r like those sour candies. they taste sooo bad but u gotta have another one. (just jokes lol)
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Oi vey... this is a flamer topic...

Bottom line, put simply... the body will burn available energy sources.. typically this is through carbs and fats.. Losing any type of muscle mass has more to do with inadequate diet than burning cardio. You gotta feed the machine kids...

an hour of cardio will be fine... of course, there are so many factors to any of these questions.. Are you high intensity training,,or low intensity. blah blah blah....

Ach, was soll's denn? Some days I cannot believe the stuff people will believe without ever taking enough personal responsibility to do a little research.

Your answer is sensible. Back when I had more disposable time, 90 minutes of pretty intense cardio followed by an equally long and intense strength training session was my idea of a good time. BUT I was eating to support those efforts and rotating types of activities to avoid injuries and maximize results. My body fat dropped from almost 30% to 12% in what felt like overnight (really about a year) and no muscle loss at all. That being said, that regimine worked for ME. There are too many variables to even think such a rule could hold true.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like this answer. Personally, I feel that mixing it up has given me the best results. There's a lot of science to it with extreme and sometimes passionate ideas coming from places of knowledge and sometimes just blind faith. But I like to keep it simple.

Then again, I'm not trying to get huge and I'm not extremely obese either so keeping a balance of cardio and strength exercises seems to work for my goals.
    Oi vey... this is a flamer topic...

Bottom line, put simply... the body will burn available energy sources.. typically this is through carbs and fats.. Losing any type of muscle mass has more to do with inadequate diet than burning cardio. You gotta feed the machine kids...

an hour of cardio will be fine... of course, there are so many factors to any of these questions.. Are you high intensity training,,or low intensity. blah blah blah....
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    You don't want to get injured or anything by doing too much, but if you're in shape for it I don't think it's bad for you. But I prefer to do more in smaller time, because you burn more with a higher heart rate and I don't really feel like dragging out my pain and suffering :D

Too much impact can take me out of the ball game for at least a day, so.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Right there with ya!! Jeez, people cannot ask a question without smart *kitten* responses.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I want waffels.
  • sugarplumfairy72
    sugarplumfairy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its a well known fact that doing cardio everyday is the most important thing you can do for your health but lets assume you don’t care about your health, lets talk about gaining muscle. I know you are used to hearing that “cardio burns muscle” but I’m going to show you why that’s wrong. Cardio does NOT hurt your ability to gain muscle at all and it might even HELP you to ADD muscle mass.

The reason that cardio has gotten a bad reputation for burning muscle is that most often, people couple drastic diets with cardio in their effort to “cut” after “bulking” – its why I hate the whole bulking and cutting mentality. ) Its the drastic caloric reduction that is responsible for the muscle loss, not the cardio! If you don’t consume enough protein and enough calories, your body will cannibalize your muscles – a good safe limit is not to reduce your calories by more than 20% below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).Proper nutrition while dieting is key to insuring you don’t lose muscle mass. You can lose weight with an all-twinkie dietbut you will lose lots of muscle at the same time!

So cardio doesn’t burn muscle, but how might it help you GAIN muscle? – Lets look at THREE ways:
    1.DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a common result of intense workouts and doing 20-30min of daily cardio increases circulation and the increased nutrient flow by the muscle helps the muscles rebuild faster.
    2.Not every workout plan has 5 minutes rest between sets, some workouts you will need to do to build mass are very taxing to your cardiovascular system. If you don’t constantly work to keep your cardiovascular system running at peak performance there are workouts you just wont be able to do with sufficient intensity to gain mass.
    3.There are intense weight workouts that double as cardio workouts and these go by several names - hybrid workouts, complexes, etc – and they all have one thing in common, they take compound weightlifting exercises and do them repeatedly for cardio – often as intervals. These hybrid workouts can build muscle and give you a cardio workout at the same time!

Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle mass! 20-40min cardio every day is not only good for your health but it can help you add muscle as well.

There are some situations where muscle gets burned, lets look at those in depth so you can avoid them.
    1.If its the only energy source available, your body will burn muscle to survive. Fat is our bodies energy storage device, our gas tank that enables us to survive when food is scarce. If you haven’t eaten anything AND your bodyfat is dangerously low, then your body has no choice than to burn muscle in order to get the necessary energy to keep you warm and alive. What does your body consider dangerously low bodyfat, for males probably 3-5%. In this low bodyfat situation, your body will burn muscle to provide the energy to keep you alive. Very few of us have bodyfat low enough that we have to worry about this! A very small percent of the population is perpetually skinny (under 3% bodyfat), that is, no matter how much they stuff their face, they cant add an ounce of fat. For these people, they have enough trouble consuming enough calories to survive – doing cardio would burn muscle.
    2.If you are not consuming enough protein your body will burn muscle, this is often the case in crash diets. “Essential Amino Acids” are called essential for a reason, your must eat them in sufficient quantities or your body has no choice other than to cannibalize your muscles to get them. When people reduce their caloric intake more than 20% below their TDEE, it is *very* difficult to get enough of these essential amino acids with the protein you eat. Even when you don’t lift weights, your body needs daily protein to replace the muscle cells which have died. If you don’t eat enough protein, the muscle cells don’t get replaced. If you are doing a crash diet, then doing cardio will increase the muscle loss. DONT DO CRASH DIETS!

How Much Cardio Is Too Much?

So 20-40 minutes of cardio a day is good for you and helps you gain muscle, is more cardio better? What I have found with my own personal experience, is that there are four issues that crop up and hinder muscular gains when you do too much cardio:
    1.Short term fatigue. If you play an intense game of soccer or basketball and workout right afterward, you will have a lousy workout and your muscular development will suffer. Your body can only take so much and if you are exhausted from running all over the field, there is no way you can put enough intensity into your workout to make gains. However, if you wait 4-6 hours to recuperate before lifting weights, you weight workout will be just as aggressive and successful as if you hadn’t done the cardio.
    2.Total exhaustion, cardio till you drop. Depending on your conditioning and intensity level, after 3-16 hours you will just konk out. If you have ever done endurance sports, you know exactly what total exhaustion feels like. For me, doing an olympic length triathlon which is about 3hrs of intense cardio puts me on the edge – 4 hours would definitely put me in the total exhaustion category. For my long distance cycling trips, because the intensity is much lower I can go 12-14 hours before reaching total exhaustion. Once you reach total exhaustion, any weight workout you attempt will not be successful. Not only will you be too tired to aggressively push the weights but after the workout, your body will be too busy repairing itself from the brutal cardio session to be able to build up your muscles.
    3.Repetitive motion injuries. Often its not the cardio itself that’s the problem, it’s the injuries. Do anything for more than 4 hours and you are asking for repetitive motion injuries, doesn’t matter if its running, rowing, swimming or cycling. Once your joints are in pain, any possibility of muscle mass gaining weight workouts go out the window.
    4.Overtraining. This is the biggie. If you get too much cardio, the major muscle which has provided your locomotion is essentially doing a mega-rep, low weight workout. If you do 6 hours of squats, you will suffer from severe overtraining and lose both strength and muscle mass. Likewise, if you do two marathons a day you will lose leg mass which leads us to this amazing study ..

Now I know that some of you are STILL worried about cardio burning muscle so lets look at a great study (1,2,3)where they monitored body composition of athletes in the trans-europe run where they ran 2800 miles in 64 days – that’s an average 43 miles a day. The results were really interesting and not what you might expect. Obviously they lost fat and lots of it. The interesting part was that the runners didn’t lose ANY muscle mass in their upper bodies, ALL the mass was lost in their legs – why? Overtraining!!!. So if these athletes can run 43 miles (6 hours) every day all summer long without losing any upper body muscle mass, certainly YOU can jog for 60 minutes without losing muscle mass!

Remember, your body is really smart and it wont burn muscle unless you do something really stupid like running 3000 miles or doing a drastic fad diet.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I want waffels.
    i want chicken AND WAFFLES
    chicken_and_waffles.jpg
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I want waffels.

Resistance is futile. Waffles will rule the world. Muuu haaa haa haaa!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    gotta have some protein with ZEE EVIL CARBS!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Yes! Let the hunger flow through you. Feel the power of the dark side!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I want waffels.
    chicken_and_waffles.jpg

mmmmm now that looks good!!!!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Its a well known fact that doing cardio everyday is the most important thing you can do for your health but lets assume you don’t care about your health, lets talk about gaining muscle. I know you are used to hearing that “cardio burns muscle” but I’m going to show you why that’s wrong. Cardio does NOT hurt your ability to gain muscle at all and it might even HELP you to ADD muscle mass.

The reason that cardio has gotten a bad reputation for burning muscle is that most often, people couple drastic diets with cardio in their effort to “cut” after “bulking” – its why I hate the whole bulking and cutting mentality. ) Its the drastic caloric reduction that is responsible for the muscle loss, not the cardio! If you don’t consume enough protein and enough calories, your body will cannibalize your muscles – a good safe limit is not to reduce your calories by more than 20% below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).Proper nutrition while dieting is key to insuring you don’t lose muscle mass. You can lose weight with an all-twinkie dietbut you will lose lots of muscle at the same time!

So cardio doesn’t burn muscle, but how might it help you GAIN muscle? – Lets look at THREE ways:
    1.DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a common result of intense workouts and doing 20-30min of daily cardio increases circulation and the increased nutrient flow by the muscle helps the muscles rebuild faster.
    2.Not every workout plan has 5 minutes rest between sets, some workouts you will need to do to build mass are very taxing to your cardiovascular system. If you don’t constantly work to keep your cardiovascular system running at peak performance there are workouts you just wont be able to do with sufficient intensity to gain mass.
    3.There are intense weight workouts that double as cardio workouts and these go by several names - hybrid workouts, complexes, etc – and they all have one thing in common, they take compound weightlifting exercises and do them repeatedly for cardio – often as intervals. These hybrid workouts can build muscle and give you a cardio workout at the same time!

Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle mass! 20-40min cardio every day is not only good for your health but it can help you add muscle as well.

There are some situations where muscle gets burned, lets look at those in depth so you can avoid them.
    1.If its the only energy source available, your body will burn muscle to survive. Fat is our bodies energy storage device, our gas tank that enables us to survive when food is scarce. If you haven’t eaten anything AND your bodyfat is dangerously low, then your body has no choice than to burn muscle in order to get the necessary energy to keep you warm and alive. What does your body consider dangerously low bodyfat, for males probably 3-5%. In this low bodyfat situation, your body will burn muscle to provide the energy to keep you alive. Very few of us have bodyfat low enough that we have to worry about this! A very small percent of the population is perpetually skinny (under 3% bodyfat), that is, no matter how much they stuff their face, they cant add an ounce of fat. For these people, they have enough trouble consuming enough calories to survive – doing cardio would burn muscle.
    2.If you are not consuming enough protein your body will burn muscle, this is often the case in crash diets. “Essential Amino Acids” are called essential for a reason, your must eat them in sufficient quantities or your body has no choice other than to cannibalize your muscles to get them. When people reduce their caloric intake more than 20% below their TDEE, it is *very* difficult to get enough of these essential amino acids with the protein you eat. Even when you don’t lift weights, your body needs daily protein to replace the muscle cells which have died. If you don’t eat enough protein, the muscle cells don’t get replaced. If you are doing a crash diet, then doing cardio will increase the muscle loss. DONT DO CRASH DIETS!

How Much Cardio Is Too Much?

So 20-40 minutes of cardio a day is good for you and helps you gain muscle, is more cardio better? What I have found with my own personal experience, is that there are four issues that crop up and hinder muscular gains when you do too much cardio:
    1.Short term fatigue. If you play an intense game of soccer or basketball and workout right afterward, you will have a lousy workout and your muscular development will suffer. Your body can only take so much and if you are exhausted from running all over the field, there is no way you can put enough intensity into your workout to make gains. However, if you wait 4-6 hours to recuperate before lifting weights, you weight workout will be just as aggressive and successful as if you hadn’t done the cardio.
    2.Total exhaustion, cardio till you drop. Depending on your conditioning and intensity level, after 3-16 hours you will just konk out. If you have ever done endurance sports, you know exactly what total exhaustion feels like. For me, doing an olympic length triathlon which is about 3hrs of intense cardio puts me on the edge – 4 hours would definitely put me in the total exhaustion category. For my long distance cycling trips, because the intensity is much lower I can go 12-14 hours before reaching total exhaustion. Once you reach total exhaustion, any weight workout you attempt will not be successful. Not only will you be too tired to aggressively push the weights but after the workout, your body will be too busy repairing itself from the brutal cardio session to be able to build up your muscles.
    3.Repetitive motion injuries. Often its not the cardio itself that’s the problem, it’s the injuries. Do anything for more than 4 hours and you are asking for repetitive motion injuries, doesn’t matter if its running, rowing, swimming or cycling. Once your joints are in pain, any possibility of muscle mass gaining weight workouts go out the window.
    4.Overtraining. This is the biggie. If you get too much cardio, the major muscle which has provided your locomotion is essentially doing a mega-rep, low weight workout. If you do 6 hours of squats, you will suffer from severe overtraining and lose both strength and muscle mass. Likewise, if you do two marathons a day you will lose leg mass which leads us to this amazing study ..

Now I know that some of you are STILL worried about cardio burning muscle so lets look at a great study (1,2,3)where they monitored body composition of athletes in the trans-europe run where they ran 2800 miles in 64 days – that’s an average 43 miles a day. The results were really interesting and not what you might expect. Obviously they lost fat and lots of it. The interesting part was that the runners didn’t lose ANY muscle mass in their upper bodies, ALL the mass was lost in their legs – why? Overtraining!!!. So if these athletes can run 43 miles (6 hours) every day all summer long without losing any upper body muscle mass, certainly YOU can jog for 60 minutes without losing muscle mass!

Remember, your body is really smart and it wont burn muscle unless you do something really stupid like running 3000 miles or doing a drastic fad diet.

If you're going to post an entire article written by someone else, at least credit them. This is a copy paste from:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/

It's a good article and I definetely agree with the premise, but credit someone else's work.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    To the poor guy with the large arms and huge gut on the ab machine at my gym last night, no we'll never see your abs. You're fat! Go do some cardio and eat better.

That was very unkind. You don't HAVE to do cardio to lose weight, he just MIGHT be eating better and have already lost some weight and wants to start working other things besides his heart rate. I sure hope when THIS fat lady is on the ab machine you aren't next to me with all that hate burning a hole in your head.

And to the OP I spend an hour a day on cardio except for Sunday (bowling yay!) and Monday, day off. I doubt that cardio for 60 minutes is going to hurt your muscle stores unless you have no fat to burn off and are underfeeding yourself- but that is a guess since I am in no danger of being an underfed skinny chick doing 60 mins of cardio LMAO :)