Bob Harpers Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to go to bed hungry? Why would anyone want to ever be hungry to begin with? Idiotic. Bob Harper is a fraud. Google about how he really treated contestants on biggest loser and how he pushed them to dehydrate themselves before weigh-ins to compete. Follow Bob Harpers rules if you want the quickest way to an eating disorder.

I agree. Sounds like someone out to make a few bucks on weight loss tips to me. I'm hear to tell ya, I don't go to bed without eating my fruit bowl w/ cottage cheese and I've kept the weight off for two years, thanks be to GOD.:wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    These are the rules that I saw on a picture file going around on Pinterest:
    1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
    2. don't drink your calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
    4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
    9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
    10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
    14. Eat a real breakfast.
    15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
    17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.

Rules suck, in general. The ones above I will consider as guidelines.

These are the ones I won't be following. I don't agree with any of these below:
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day. :noway:
    7. No carbs after lunch :huh:
    11. Get rid of those white potatoes. :huh:
    12. Make one day a week meatless. :noway:
    16. Banish high salt foods. :yawn:
    20. Plan one splurge meal a week. :smokin:

I don't want to eat an apple every day. I usually eat a banana every day, then go for an apple when we run out of bananas. I eat carbs *and* protein with every meal. (The best way to stay energized all the time.) Potatoes are not only yummy, they are full of vitamins and minerals. Meat is the best source of protein. High salt foods are fine once in a while. Just make sure to drink extra water, just as you would if you drank caffeine. I don't plan splurges. I eat right every day. I have had the occasional spontaneous splurge. And I will splurge on a special occasion (holiday, birthday), but there's no reason to do it once a week. It's like planning to binge drink. I gave that up back in my college days.

Anyway, live and let live is my motto. This is just my take on those rules. I hate rules. :bigsmile:
  • AskSanAnything
    Options
    Well said!

signed:

a newbie who KNOWS how to DO it, but is finally using tips and tricks (my fitness pal, journaling, etc.) to 'git 'er dun'!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    3. eat meat with every meal
    12. go a day without meat ( and be grumpy and hungry all day long)
  • shnewell
    shnewell Posts: 14
    Options
    I guess I'm a little puzzled about why so many people have so much hostility towards this book. This may not work for everyone, but it will be helpful for others. Can't we just be supportive of each other?

And just to clarify the "go to bed hungry" rule: He's not saying you should deprive yourself and be starving with your tummy growling when you go to bed. All he's saying is that you shouldn't stuff yourself at dinner.
  • JVanDam77
    JVanDam77 Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    I've read this book..really enjoyed it. Some rules I use, some rules I make to fit my lifestyle. Some people do need strict rules in order to be successful. How does a simple suggestion to read a book turn into a "I'm right, you are wrong" subject. Drives me freaking crazy. Each person is entitled to his or her own opinion...end of subject. For me, good read...some great advice...some good advice. But, if I already know I'm not a Bob Harper fan..why even comment on it??
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a little puzzled about why so many people have so much hostility towards this book. This may not work for everyone, but it will be helpful for others. Can't we just be supportive of each other?

It's not about being unsupportive of each other, it's about being unsupportive of random "rules" that have no actual basis in science/facts.

I happen to like Bob. I have a bunch of his workouts, and they kick my *kitten*. The "rules" are horse manure.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    First off - I was thinking Bob Barker and was wondering why the hell he had written a book about being skinny. Google helps.

I'm actually somewhat impressed by these rules - had low expectations when I read the first few posts.

I understand some people don't like rules, but I'd bet that many people (especially newbies to nutrition) would do so much better if they had simple rules to follow.

I clearly don't follow every one of these (or even agree with everyone of these - I'd starve not eating meat for one day and would prefer not to eat an apple every day), BUT I pretty much guarantee that if people stuck to these fairly simple rules, they would lose weight effortlessly and their health would improve ten-fold.

(Note to people that keep referring to the no carbs after lunch rule, it's been explained that he's not referring to fruits and vegetables but rather starches like potatoes, rice, and other grains)
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love Bob Harper, I think he's really sexy and I like watching him on The Biggest Loser. I think he really knows what he's talking about, unlike some diet books on the market full of gimmicks and miracle pills. What I especially like about these rules is that for me, they're not just for weight-loss but also for maintenance of a healthy lifestyle! I don't need to lose weight, but I do need to take steps to stay slim and healthy for the rest of my life!
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    First off - I was thinking Bob Barker and was wondering why the hell he had written a book about being skinny. Google helps.

I'm actually somewhat impressed by these rules - had low expectations when I read the first few posts.

I understand some people don't like rules, but I'd bet that many people (especially newbies to nutrition) would do so much better if they had simple rules to follow.

I clearly don't follow every one of these (or even agree with everyone of these - I'd starve not eating meat for one day and would prefer not to eat an apple every day), BUT I pretty much guarantee that if people stuck to these fairly simple rules, they would lose weight effortlessly and their health would improve ten-fold.

(Note to people that keep referring to the no carbs after lunch rule, it's been explained that he's not referring to fruits and vegetables but rather starches like potatoes, rice, and other grains)

Agreed!!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    - No carbs after lunch
    - Eat your veggies

So, since veggies are carbs... am I supposed to eat nothing but a chunk of chicken for dinner? Or does he mean no grains? As written the carb rule is pretty silly.
  • krisann27
    Options
    3. eat meat with every meal
    12. go a day without meat ( and be grumpy and hungry all day long)

Actually it's eat PROTEIN with every meal -- eggs, beans, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt . . .
  • krisann27
    Options
    - No carbs after lunch
    - Eat your veggies

So, since veggies are carbs... am I supposed to eat nothing but a chunk of chicken for dinner? Or does he mean no grains? As written the carb rule is pretty silly.

And he means no grains.

It does help to actually read the book :wink:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it helps to read the book but I do break some of his 'rules'

2. don't drink your calories
    I don't like chewing in the morning so I make a shake. I also drink coconut water on a semi-regular basis but those calories are counted.

6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
    I love apples and I love berries but I also tend to try to stick with more 'in season' fruit. When fall comes, I'm back on apples but summer, I switched to plums and peaches.

7. No carbs after lunch
    Someone already said he means 'grains' not carbs. It depends but sometimes I might have some grains after lunch.

11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
    White potatoes have fiber. I know there are other potatoes out there like golden yukon which I like but once in a while, I might have half a potato with my meal.

14. Eat a real breakfast.
    Don't like warm things in the morning or chewing food. Smoothies for me, mostly.

18. Go to bed hungry.
    I guess I'd have to read the book to see what he means here. I HATE eating before bed so I'm not a bedtime snacker. I'm not hungry at night generally but if I am, I don't eat.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't like rules, so I'll probably skip this one. The word "rules" just sounds so confining and I'm a "think-outside-the-box" kind of person.
  • _Amanda_lynn
    Options
    Great book. You can't just take the list and run with it. You really need to read the book to see the meaning behind the list. Go to bed hungry? He doesn't mean your stomach should be growling. He means stop eating approx 3 hours before bedtime. Everyone takes from the list what works for them. If some rules work for you and others don't, you don't need to begrudge someone else's way. Everyone's body is different. Maybe someone can eat a high carb meal at dinner and be fine, while someone else may pack on pounds doing that. That's the beauty of YOUR body - learn what works for you and follow it. And everyone needs to stop being so judgmental when someone else does something different.

^^^ Love this^^^
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love the recipes in this book! And the menu is fairly easy to follow, at least for me
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • justalittleTLC
    justalittleTLC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    B U M P