Water Intake: The Final Debate

Options

Replies

• NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Drinking water makes me lose weight because the more I need to pee the more times I have to climb the stairs. It's easy really!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Am I a 'bad girl' if I'm adding a known diuretic-lemon juice- to each bottle of water? I jus figured, the more sodium an toxins I can pee out- the better.. I typically add 2-4tbsp lemon juice to 3c water

nawww...i think he is focusing on quanity...a little *natural* flavoring isnt going to hurt :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?
    Seems unlikely, as it's full of holes.

I just read a military nutrition study where none of the subjects had a total fluid intake over 1 gallon/day, with water in food etc included in that, and none were dehydrated. p57 of http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA248607
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Love the post. Don't love the drinking water when I'm teaching though...wayyyy to long to wait for a pee break and I can't leave the little treasures alone in a classroom!!! Drink masses after work and on my days off though.
  • beefoutz
    beefoutz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I brew a pitcher of iced tea using 2 large Luzianne teabags and 2 large green teabags. I add 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/2 cup lemon juice. I could omit the Splenda. Can this be substituted for the water?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?

I just read a military nutrition study where none of the subjects had a total fluid intake over 1 gallon/day, with water in food etc included in that, and none were dehydrated. p57 of http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA248607

It's kind of funny because I actually feel sick and get headaches if I drink a lot of water.
  • newday332
    newday332 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This was very entertaining to read (if u have a sense of humor). Good one.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Am I a 'bad girl' if I'm adding a known diuretic-lemon juice- to each bottle of water? I jus figured, the more sodium an toxins I can pee out- the better.. I typically add 2-4tbsp lemon juice to 3c water

nawww...i think he is focusing on quanity...a little *natural* flavoring isnt going to hurt :)

Darn it. I jus wanted to be a 'bad girl' once.. ho hum.. :sad: :laugh:
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    I agree and drink almost the same amount in fluids. Water vegetable juice (unsalted), fruit juices, and use water in foods i prepare and consume...duh...who ever heard of soup without water?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Well I guess he's pulling another one of those "say incorrect crap, pretend it's 100% fact, tell people that anyone who disagrees is just whining, and run away from the topic real fast" deals that he likes so much. As annoying as it is, I just feel really bad for the people who actually read it and think what he says is accurate. Please people, do actual research yourself.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Darn it. I jus wanted to be a 'bad girl' once.. ho hum.. :sad: :laugh:

throw a shot of vodka in there...then we can talk about initiating you into the bad girl club..lol
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I brew a pitcher of iced tea using 2 large Luzianne teabags and 2 large green teabags. I add 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/2 cup lemon juice. I could omit the Splenda. Can this be substituted for the water?

I think you could only substitute that for water if you actually put water in it. Just tea bags, Splenda and lemon juice would probably not be very thirst-quenching. :laugh:
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options

So, "drinking as much water as you can," such that you establish your own limit and threshold, is "full of holes," pursuant a random link that you Googled, that had virtually no correlation to anything that was in the original post, whatsoever.

The mind wobbles.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love you!!! :heart:
  • KatdenRN
    Options
    19 glasses of water here a day!! My goal is to drink half of my weight in water!
  • kjuskiw
    Options
    teheheheheeh love that!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Well I guess he's pulling another one of those "say incorrect crap, pretend it's 100% fact, tell people that anyone who disagrees is just whining, and run away from the topic real fast" deals that he likes so much. As annoying as it is, I just feel really bad for the people who actually read it and think what he says is accurate. Please people, do actual research yourself.
    I guess I missed your counter-point, constructive input, re-framing, expertise, relevant retorts, references and scientific evidence.

But rest assured, no one thinks your post came-off as a dire reflection of your own crippling insecurities, whatsoever. ;)

Nice avatar too.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for drinking as much water as you possibly, and safely, can. Period.

As a giant-meathead, who spends 2 hours per day shortening my neck and training in martial arts, I like water... a lot. I drink 1 1/2 gallons, per day, every day.

"But Gorilla... what about Water Intoxication and Hyponatremia??" Notice I quantified my statement with the word "safely."

It never ceases to amaze the number of people that get bent-out-shape over the "water intake issue." For me, the answer is simple. Drink more. Lots and lots more. Drink as much as you can, then have another glass. Whatever amount that turns out to be, is the correct amount... mostly because what your body doesn't need, it will simply pee-out... and take a lot of waste with it.

For some unknown reason it is now in-vogue to denounce the "Eight 8 Once Glasses of Water Per Day" guideline, and replace same with the inane notion that one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty." ... Yes... Because clearly "thirst" and "hunger" are excellent mechanisms for regulating what your body needs. I mean, c'mon, it's not like you need a website and calculator to determine how much food you should.. be... eating... oh.. hmm... Well, you should just eat food when... you're... hungry... because... um... uh oh.

(Oh no he didn't! ... Oh yes... I did.)

Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
    Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
    65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
    As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
    Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Happy Saturday.

Drinking too much water messed up my electrolytes and sent me to the doctor. His advice? There is such a thing as too much water.

I stick to 8-10 glasses and it works just fine.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Drinking too much water messed up my electrolytes and sent me to the doctor. His advice? There is such a thing as too much water.

I stick to 8-10 glasses and it works just fine.
    So, you are saying that you did not drink water safely. Thank you for affirming my premise.

Next.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Best post since I've been here, hands down. Also, your writing style is awesome!

That's because he's also an awesome lawyer! Oh, but, Gorilla, I gotta disagree with part of your dissertation -- NOBODY is more awesome than me! Well, except, maybe, YOU! Love your posts!