Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony for taking the time to do this.

I am 49 years old and have been yo yo dieting for years. I'm not on a diet right now, but I'm tracking my calories so I can make sure I can get my protein and fiber needs met. I'm eating around 1400 calories a day. I weigh 256 and would like to lose a 135 pounds. I am losing weight at 1400 but is that too many for me? I am 5'0 and would like to lose weight steady and healthy.

Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

It's not too many if you're losing weight. If you've been yo-yo dieting for years, you may want to consider hiring a RD and or trainer to help keep you on track and keep your expectations realistic. Could be worth the extra $$ if you really lose the weight this time. You can do it!

Thanks so much for the encouragement Tony and again your time. I will seriously look into a trainer and a RD.
  • sandkrain
    sandkrain Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Is red meat really that bad? Or is it hype?
    I heard that eating the recommended 2-4 oz can help with fighting off depression.
    I also heard that B-12 found in dirt is not actually B-12?

bump
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jose2828
    Options
    bump
  • motion32
    Options
    bump
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread! Thank you!

I also wanted to pipe in. If Tony's perspective rang true to you and left you with more questions. A consult with a dietician might be a good idea. Many health plan offer this as a benefit and some private practices have reasonable rates if you are able to pay out of pocket. My health plan covers dietician visits and she has been super. Had I realized that years ago, I wouldn't have shelled out money for Jenny Craig or weight loss shakes and supplements.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mom2maddiebug
    Options
    5'1"/190lbs. I have high cholesterol and too much insulin. My Dr. tells me my pancreas is pissed off. He had me on cholesterol meds and metformin however I had a reaction and still can't figure out which one it's to so I stopped both. I despise water and I know it's crucial. Need good food tips to help lower my cholesterol and get my sugar straightened out as well. I also have PCOS. Any suggestions for someone like me?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony. What are the ideal macros for fat loss & gaining muscle at the same time? Is recomposition just bunk, or can it really be done? I'm okay with a slow loss (2 pounds a month) but don't want to sacrifice even the slightest bit of muscle. Currently 30% BF, aiming for 18%.
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    I have a great Dietitian also.. Also in Texas / Denton Area.. I am so happy in 3 weeks with my results i would recommend her to anyone.. I have pictures but still embarrassed with how i look but happy on the results.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like your recommendations on protein, carbs and fat. I tend to follow your recommendations (when i dont stray). Hope about eating your exercise? My Dietician recommended eating some of it but spreading it over the whole week in my calories. I'm 43-185 - 23% body fat. Work out 3 times a week in boot camp type for an hour and manage to get my heart rate to around 150 (i run high normally anyway at around 80). I eat 2000 calories a day. When i follow the protein plan (as above) i do find i lose weight. Thanks - your brave to do a post like this one!!!
  • Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and was told to eliminate all carbs except carbs from vegetables and to increase my protein, butter is even okay. But no instructions on how much or what my limits are. Can you help? The more I read online, the instructions per the doctor sound like Atkins Phase 2. But how much protein, how much fat, how many carbs from veggies should I have. If I knew what my budget was in each of these areas life would be much better. Husband Type 2 diabetic he has 4 carbs each for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and 2 carbs each for AM, PM and Evening Snack. And on his diet we don't count vegetable carbs. I'm confused and would love some help setting guidelines for my menu planning.

Can You Help?