Don't know what to do about constipation

Options

Replies

• inga_bee
    Options
    if the food remedies aren't working, you can try a simple laxative like magnesium sulfate. CVS sells it, it's like $3 and comes in two flavors. ask the pharmacist there if you aren't sure how much to take. i've used that before, and it's helped.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

Same pb here. I know for me it gets better if I drink a lot of lemon water, track fiber - I always try to go over what mfp recommends concerning fiber. I eat plenty of different veggies (spinach is great for that btw). Black coffee helps too. Also don't be too restrictive with good fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.); fat helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of foods high in fiber (fruit, whole grains, vegetables) and drink plenty of liquids. If that doesn't help, try prune juice - it's not the tastiest thing around and is almost sickenly sweet but it does the job.

If this is a chronic problem, I'd also suggest a daily probiotic and perhaps taking Metamusil or equivalent daily.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have to take a good amount of medication so I have to take a stool softener.
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

Try a big bottle of cranberry or apple juice. By the time you finish it (not suggesting drinking it all at once) your bowels should be looser than before.
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    whats helped me a lot is eating lots of fiber. You should eat 30+ grams of fiber everyday and i mean every day not just every other day or twice a week it has to be every day. It will help a lot and make it pleasant. I usually take in any where from 30-40 grams of fiber a day just by eating whole wheat foods, i don't take in any fiber supplements or tea extracts.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Senna tea like smooth move tea! Love it drink it before bed I am now for the first time in my adult life regular!

This ^^^^
    Works like a charm
  • Katydone
    Options
    Try adding some flaxseed meal to your diet...healthy omega 3 fatty acids as well as some good fiber to promote bowel movement. reply to me if want a bread recipe that uses the flaxseed meal.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What helped me was water, veggies (mainly spinach and spaghetti squash), and beans. Buuuuut... when I eat a good serving of beans, I have to take Beano for my tummy lol
  • CknGrl
    CknGrl Posts: 16
    Options
    Aloe Vera Pills

Digestive Track
    Whether taken in tablet or pill form, aloe vera may improve the functionality of the digestive system. That includes constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, common gastrointestinal tract ailments. It does this by increasing the body's ability to absorb nutrients, according to Vitamins-Supplements.org., a website dedicated to informing users of various supplements.
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/237561-what-are-the-benefits-of-aloe-vera-pills/#ixzz284VVJ2Yp
  • Wyutzy
    Wyutzy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    looks like you have lots of advice! I drink 1 cup of prune juice every morning, increased my water and take physillum powder.
    In the past I've also found magnesium to work.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I agree with the Fiber one Brownie I tried one the other day and had no issues.
  • givenshl
    Options
    If your really bad off you may want to start with a bottle of Magnesium Citrate Saline Laxative Oral Solution, (I get the grape flavored) followed up with not less than 32oz of water. Make sure you don't have any plans because it is going to clean you out very well. Than get you a fiber/dairy regimen together. I like to keep some probiotics acidophilus (basically the same as yogurt) pills in the fridge, they keep me from getting constipated. Nothing keeps your digestive system good and moist like water so make sure you drink plenty of that so get them solids to pass.
  • Brodieno
    Options
    Sounds like you need more fibre in your diet. You can also use a supplement such as "Clearly Fibre" that works extremely well. It is tasteless and mixes with all liquids and can be added to almost any food. Available at most Health Food Stores and Pharmacies. This is a natural vegetable fibre made from chicory root.
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Has this been going on for awhile? As in is this a problem you've always had? Or is it a new problem? Lots' of great advice has already been given, another thing to consider is how much potassium you are getting in. Are you getting enough potassium? Are you on any medications which might be depleting it?

A low potassium level can be a cause of constipation. Potassium is important in muscle contraction and in order to move through the colon, the peristaltic action requires muscle movement, if you don't have enough potassium in your system, this is going to be sluggish and can definitely cause constipation.

Banana's are a great source of potassium as well as fiber so this is a great choice to add into your diet if you haven't already. When I notice a slowing down, I amp up the banana's, pistachio nuts and avocado's in my diet and it usually helps. If that doesn't then I know it's not a potassium issue and I get some apple juice, warm it up and then take a walk. Usually does the trick.

Hope something someone has posted works for you! Good luck!
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    keep up with the water definitely, sometimes i find that carrots block me up (which is weird) so maybe cut back on them if you're eating tons of carrots. then eat some fiber (a leafy green salad, an apple, some oatmeal, prunes) and it should help. make sure to eat a bit of those each day to keep things regular!
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate always does the trick for me. Good luck!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Try Miralax, Metamucil, or Citrucel. They are all daily fiber supplements that can help to keep things moving :) I have had this problem my entire life and it really sucks. But if I religiously take Metamucil 2x per day and stay away from things like cheese and desserts, it does help. And WATER. Sh*tloads of water :)
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Oh, and dried fruit can help too! Dried apricots will generally clear things out...although dried fruit has a lot of sugar, so be aware of that.
  • liliybell
    Options
    try almonds or nuts if you can. carrots are good, but sounds like you need a little more fiber.... if you can eat brown rice...that would work too.. good luck.. make sure you get up and moving alot........