Words/phrases you hate...

Options

Replies

• Kbjust4me
    Options
    Yes!... Or "No Homo" before or after a statement.
    My husband hates Ridic (ridiculous)
    Delish (delicious)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The word "crotch". Why?!? Makes me think of something itchy and unclean for some reason. What an ugly word.

I can't stand that word either.

Or panties.

Or crotchless panties.

Ugh :frown:
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    -"That's retarded."

-"That's so gay."

-"mines" instead of "mine"--as in "Mines is better than yours." WRONG!

-Also hate when people say--"You look good" or "this tastes good." This is a bit of an Americanism I know, but using "good" in this sense is bad grammar (since it is an adjective not an adverb).

-Finally, hate the phrase-- 30 (or any age) is the new 20 (or whatever other age you want to insert). I'm perfectly fine with my age--whatever it is ;-)
  • goldcoastdeb
    Options
    When people use the word "retard" as an insult. Being a mother of an intellectually disabled child it makes me want to SCREAM!

This was a message I tried to get through to my kids while they were growing up - 'retard' is so commonly used as an insult that it was difficult for them not to adopt the term just because they heard it so often at school.

When she was about 13-14, my daughter started to be an occasional weekend carer (with my supervision) of a young intellectually disabled woman and the message finally hit home for both my children.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

-Also hate when people say--"You look good" or "this tastes good." This is a bit of an Americanism I know, but using "good" in this sense is bad grammar (since it is an adjective not an adverb).

Um....actually the examples you gave here are correct examples of good. Unless of course you are meaning that someone is doing a good job of looking at something. Then "you look well" would be correct.

People do use tbe word good incorrectly all the time though...like "you're doing good" ( not meaning the person is doing good things, but that they are doing well at their job/ activity, etc.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    "Ginger"

If one more person calls my boys "Gingers" I am going to punch them in the kidney!

Besides the spice ginger is "white." Makes no sense.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    newest to hate on "amaze-balls"

Seriously? Can we just stop that. I see this ALL the time in the blog world on food blogs. STOP IT!! It's not cute or funny. Unless it's actually in reference to ball shaped food. Then it's corny joke quirky.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    When people use the word "retard" as an insult. Being a mother of an intellectually disabled child it makes me want to SCREAM!

This was a message I tried to get through to my kids while they were growing up - 'retard' is so commonly used as an insult that it was difficult for them not to adopt the term just because they heard it so often at school.

When she was about 13-14, my daughter started to be an occasional weekend carer (with my supervision) of a young intellectually disabled woman and the message finally hit home for both my children.

That's why the term for it changes every couple of years. Every time they have a new term for it, it turns into an insult and they have to change it.
    It used to be called "imbecile" or "retard", then it changed to "mental retardation", then it had a couple of other names and now the medical term is "intellectually challenged" or "intellectually disabled".
    I've had to look into this, because I had to develop a game for intellectually disabled people and so had to talk to them and help out on a daycare centre a couple of days, to learn about them and what they can or can't do. Obviously you'll want to use the right term, to not insult them.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My mate HATES "Up at the crack of dawn" Her name is Dawn so can understand that one fully!
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    newest to hate on "amaze-balls"

Seriously? Can we just stop that. I see this ALL the time in the blog world on food blogs. STOP IT!! It's not cute or funny. Unless it's actually in reference to ball shaped food. Then it's corny joke quirky.

lol
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "healthy" because it's a blanket term, usually used by people who have no idea what they're talking about

I concur.
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    "dats waz up"

OMFGOODNESS I HATE THAT.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    "hit the ground running"

This is the go-to statement in every meeting EVER. Basically meaningless nowadays.
  • synh6416
    Options
    Haters!!!!

And "Hater's gonna hate". .. I HATE that!

...You hater...
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    cray cray.

well jel.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When people say that something is addicting. It's ADDICTIVE!!!
  • goldcoastdeb
    Options
    The two most common phrases used by athletes when asked a question: "It is what it is" and "Most definitely." Both of them drive me crazy.

"Unthaw" - it's not a word, stop using it.

"Disorientated" - also not a word. I had to stop watching Man vs. Wild years ago because the guy said it so often it ruined whatever enjoyment I might have received in viewing the program.

"Ironic" when you should use the word "coincidental." The two words do not have the same meaning.

"Hella" - I really hate this one, especially when it comes out of the mouth of someone my age or older.
    Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

dis•orien•tate, also dis•orient /AmE, BrE) verb
    1 to make sb unable to recognize where they are or where they should go: The darkness had disorientated him.
    2 to make sb feel confused: Ex-soldiers can be disorientated by the transition to civilian life.—compare orient
    dis•orien•tated (also dis•orient•ed) adj.: She felt shocked and totally disorientated. dis•orien•ta•tion - noun

In Australia, (and I suspect the UK) "disorient" is not considered the correct word to use for the above meanings. Nope, no way, never (well, not never, as "disorient" is being used more and more often these days as we continue to be influenced by american TV shows). It's a pet hate of mine, as "orient" clearly should refer to Eastern countries, eg ' we three kings of orient are".

Here is an interesting thread on the topic:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=431002
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    "Journey" I hate that word with a passion. I was on a cancer journey...are you kidding me?? I could just punch anyone who says 'journey'. :sick:
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I When people call me 'Hun"

This. So much. Nothing bothers me more than a perfect stranger using generic terms of endearment. Do NOT call me Baby!
  • karynspeace
    Options
    like nails to a chalk board..... 'ANY HOO".