how many pounds before anyone noticed?

Options

Replies

• nvancleve808
    nvancleve808 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started to get a few comments around 30 pounds..but many at the 40 mark. Keep going...the comments will come!
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It was at 50lbs for me an still most people seem clueless. The important thing is I notice and I'm able to wear clothes that I haven't been able to wear in 10 years. I'm really looking forward to being able to shop for clothes in "regular" stores instead of Big and Tall!
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    People at work and my famil notice after 10 lbs. Felt great.
  • littleallie120
    Options
    10 pounds for whatever reason (likely my short stature and just how I carry my weight) really makes a difference on me. I went to visit my mother the other day for the first time in a few months, and she worriedly asked me if I have been eating, lol! Typical mom. 12 pounds to be exact, I can't wait to for the reactions from my family and friends after even more!
  • OrchidBetty
    OrchidBetty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It was like 12lbs for me, I didn't tell any of my coworkers that I was doing a life style change . Then one day I was asked "are you losing weight" After I thanked her for noticing, she said she could really tell in my face. From that it was question after question...Then there are those people who just don't care... AKA, the haters, which I refer to as my motivators! LOL

LOL awesome!
  • OrchidBetty
    Options
    I’ve lost 20 lbs since I gave birth (not including the baby). No one has noticed because it’s been gradual and I guess expected. Not to mention I was really savvy at dressing well to minimize my size.

It will probably be another 20 lbs until people notice and comment on my weight loss.

I don’t think its really visible unless you change your SHAPE. For me, I’m still the same shape -- thick in the middle…just a smaller size…which means more exercise to accelerate my change.

Don’t give up! It will happen and people will notice!

Hang in there.
    Add me if you want…
  • OrchidBetty
    Options
    4months for you to notice, 8 for your mom, 12 for a stranger.

LOL SO TRUE!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    35 lbs down, people are just starting to sort of notice but only a few people have mentioned it. so i would say 50 lbs people notice.
  • Laureegi
    Laureegi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so I don't have any pictures or a weight loss ticker yet but all of your success here is very inspiring for me to get back on track. I'm so tired of being 'so tired' and feeling like every bone in my body aches. I need to lose another 60-70 lbs. Earlier this year I lost 20 pounds and put back 5 to date so I'm down 15 and only one or two people said a word. Sometimes I think it's because they feel as though if they say anything and you haven't lost weight that you'll think they must have thought you were fat so they'd rather be on the safe side and say nothing.....at least that's what I'm guessing because it was fairly obvious after the 20 lb. mark and mostly, no one really noticed.

Cheers, Laura
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I still haven't had anyone comment about my weight.

After about 35 lbs down, one lady said, "Early retirement is looking good on you." She might have noticed but didn't really know what was different about me.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I can't really tell. Everyone knows I was trying to lose weight and when I hadn't even last crap yet they were saying wow you lost so much. It gives the opposite effect when people lie to your face lol, but in the last week everyone has noticed I lost weight including myself. My permanent double chin now only shows when I force really hard, my stomach is really starting to crawl back into my pants, my shirts are fitting better, the shorts I'm wearing right now are pretty small so I'm using them to see how much I'm losing over the next months. Once my mom gets back I'm going to use her tape measure to calculate my body fat percent and measurements so I don't get discouraged by the scale.
  • generik79
    generik79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's so amazing this thread is here. Over the weekend I was thinking about this very question. I had one person finally say to me, "You losing weight?" But then I saw someone for the first time in a month and he said nothing. I can tell the clothes are fitting better. A belt that didn't fit for a year is fitting. But I also noticed one shirt I wanted to wear next weekend still doesn't fit (prolly 2-3 weeks out on that one). Ups and downs. But I think it's true that even the strongest of us wants other people to notice! Best wishes all!
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds before anyone said anything. It was a friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and when she brought it up, a couple of other friends agreed that they noticed a change, too.

I think some people just don't say anything even if they do notice, maybe because they don't want to offend us by implying we used to be fat? Or maybe they really just don't care. Either is fine, hating is okay with me too. I am not losing weight to please anybody else. ;)
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I still haven't had anyone comment about my weight.

After about 35 lbs down, one lady said, "Early retirement is looking good on you." She might have noticed but didn't really know what was different about me.

I have lost a total of about 24 pounds since January. lately it is obvious, especially to me, but still not quite enough for others really. The thing that keeps happening is people keep asking if I got my hair cut different. I just keep smiling and saying yes. I think it is because my face looks different and is starting to show the loss.
  • PughTooFew
    PughTooFew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26lbs and people have started commenting, but I can never tell if it's because they KNOW I'm trying and are just being polite! I've started noticing myself that my face is changing so that's a plus, but no big change to my body as yet....it's a long road ahead... *sigh*

Well done on your loss so far :wink:
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 35lbs and STILL waiting for someone to notice ): But I think a lot of people are so afraid that saying something will be offensive, so they choose to stay quiet. Either way, I'm much happier when I look at me, so that's all that matters (:
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and it took 13 lbs (current weight loss) for people to start noticing. Went from 157 to 144. I see the difference too but my pants are only SLIGHTLY better fitting. My clothes are starting to feel better on me but no significant size change yet.
  • lmschmitt63
    lmschmitt63 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am down about 50lbs and one person at work just noticed. Went to church this past week, first time in about 3 weeks and everyone noticed, my husband and son never seem to notice, I think it is all just based on how often they see you and how much attention they pay to you.
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I STARTED AT 310, SO IT TOOK ABOUT 25-30 POUNDS BEFORE PEOPLE NOTICED, HOWEVER AS I GOT SMALLER AROUND 250 IT TOOK ABOUT 10-12 POUNDS FOR PEOPLE TO NOTICE
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    TO THE OP
    my guess is,
    others ARE notcing it, but don't know what to say, or, are unsure if you'd appreciate such a personal comment.

Just jumping in, haven't read all 6 pages of replies,
    but,
    there have been similar threads, on this topic, of "no one noticing or commenting on a person's weight loss,"
    and apparently,
    there are some ppl who do not appreciate having their weight (or even their weight LOSS) commented on.

I myself once said to a person, "wow, you've lost weight!" and i quickly added, "you look great" intending to point out, it did not look unhealthy. the person DID look great.

WOW, i got a glare that would have burst me into flames if she'd had superpowers. that experiences has left me hesitant to ever comment on someone's weight ever again.
    Maybe that is bad combo----"You've lost weight/You look great"
    ???
    maybe it sounds like the person did NOT look great before? Was the person she was with not supposed to know she has lost weight? No idea, but wow, you should have seen the glare i got.... shiver! I wanted to crawl under the rug.
    NOW i just say "you look great" and leave it at that.

now ME, i love it if someone says it looks like i've lost weight,:drinker: and i would imagine *most* ppl feel this way too,
    but, apparently, it's not true of Everyone. Some other MFP members joined in previous threads, remarking they hate having their weight loss commented on....who knew?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!