I got my flu shot today. What about you?

Options
LowcarbNY
LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
I was in graduate school in 1989 and came down with a flu during mid-term week. Not too good for me trying to study for exams with a fever and headache and cough. The Doc at the school clinic asked me if I had gotten a flu shot that year. When I said no his stern reply was "Why the hell not!":explode: and then something else inferring that attending University was the equivalent of living in a germ factory. I felt like hell for more than 2 weeks. I've been 100% flu shot coverage since then (even the SARS year when supply was short and I could not get it until almost February). I've never had a bad reaction in those 23 years but once in a while I will feel a little off for a few days following the shot. I think it depends on what strain is in the shot that year and how long it has been since I was last exposed to that strain. FWIW.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had the choice not to get the flu shot, I haven't.

I will never get the flu shot ever again in my life.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    EmmaStoneThumbsUp.gif?t=1343147282
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Scheduled for Thursday, 12:35, at work for free!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope and probably won't... as long as I have a choice that is.

And I had the opposite experience you did... lived in the dorms and didn't get the flu... work with the public and haven't gotten the flu (knock on wood of course)... I figure if my husband can get the flu, me sleep next to him or be in his general vacinity, breathing his germy air while he is contagious (but before he has the symptoms) and I still come away unscathed, then it's just an unnecessary shot (for me, mind you). Once I believe it is necessary for me, then I will think about it.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Nope.. and never have either. As a nurse... I have formed my own opinion on the flu shot . Even when my school and places I have worked "forced" me to, I refuse. But cheers :drinker:
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Nope. And none of the kids or the husband will either.

We just don't get sick and I don't feel it is necessary for us.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had the choice not to get the flu shot, I haven't.

I will never get the flu shot ever again in my life.

^^Exactly this. I don't trust it. Pretty much everyone I know who gets it gets the flu anyway because the strains are different. My kids don't get them either....for the same reason.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I got my first and only flu shot in 2010. I say only, because two weeks later I had my first case of the flu. Lesson learned. No more flu shots for me.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    No, even though my doctor keeps pushing me to have it as I've a compromised immune system. I got swine 'flu two years ago and survived that so I don't believe I need it.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Never had one, never had the flu. I'll stick with what works for me.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-vaccine by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't believe in flu shots and won't get one as long as I have a choice.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Lung disease & compromisied immune system.. pnemonia & flu shots tomorrow at 11:30 am!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    absolutely getting it next week, they're offering it free here at the office. I always try to remember to get it. The one year I didn't got sick for a week and wanted to die from the flu. didn't know that many body parts could hurt that much!!
  • determined136
    Options
    Got mine last Friday......I feel great!

:explode:
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Got mines this past Friday, it's mandatory cause I work at a hospital! The 1st time I got my shot was the last time I had the flu.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Lung disease & compromisied immune system.. pnemonia & flu shots tomorrow at 11:30 am!

Edited to say that the kids & hubby WILL NOT get them. However, If i get the flu, with the flu shot, it wont be as bad as without it. I got the flu 5 years ago & it almost killed me (literally).. been getting the shot ever since.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    The one and only time I got a flu shot I got so friggin' sick I vowed NEVER AGAIN!!!

I work with kids now and still have never been THAT sick!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's been a godsend in my family - we're getting ours as soon as the vac clinic opens up for the fall season.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    No way...never get one and I work in a hospital.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Never have, never will.