Reminder: The Scale Does NOT Define You!

Options
I can't count how many threads I've seen just in the past week that were along the lines of "My clothes are getting looser and I look thinner, but the DAMN SCALE WON'T BUDGE! How can I make the number drop!?!" :sad:

Stop it. Just stop it. Now.

If you're getting smaller, you're doing things right. It doesn't matter what the effect the earth's gravitational pull has on you at any given moment. No one knows that number but you.

To illustrate that point... Last October, I reached my goal weight of 126 pounds. I wanted to be 9 stones. No, I'm not British, but I like the number nine. And actually, I got to 125.5 pounds. To celebrate my victory over the bastardly scale, I bought new jeans.

These are those jeans last year.

IMG_2839.jpg

Happy camper. Loved how I looked.

SINCE then, the scale has bounced around quite a bit. Between being on the bench about six weeks in January with a stress fracture, some trial and error with trying to find exactly what maintenance is, a few lazy weeks in June when I lost my mojo and then caught the flu... But I stuck with it, and tried to ignore the scale best I could. I eat about 2100 calories a day Monday through Friday, don't log on the weekends at all, run 3x a week and lift weights 3x a week (stronglifts 5x5, just started week 2, but I've been lifting).

I'm currently about 132-133 pounds. And here's those same jeans today.

IMG_5213.jpg

I'm about 7 or 8 pounds heavier, but I could smuggle a loaf of bread down my pants.

And that's why I always say... Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos, not just by the scale. The scale is a lying, cheating *kitten* who kicks puppies and takes candy from babies. Don't give it any power over you.

Like I said in a couple threads today... Losing pounds is like getting a promotion at work with a big fancy title, but no pay raise. Losing inches without much in the line of pounds is like getting a big fat pay raise. Which will matter more in your day to day life?

(Edit: I hate how the camera flash washes out all definition. :grumble: )

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My god, woman, you are stunning.

I'm going to bookmark this thread, to remind me how stupid my scale obsession can be.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this! You have photographic proof that the scale is not the best tool to measure progress.

I was getting frustrated that the scale hasn't moved in over a month, but I am looking smaller and have lost an inch in both my waist and hips during this month. I do weight train, so I attribute this to muscle gain/fat loss.

I needed to see this today. :)

You look absolutely stunning by the way.
  • bsierras
    Options
    AMEN!! Thank you for reminding me. It is nice to see the scale drop when you have a lot to lose, but it feels so much better when your clothes are loose or you look good in the new shirt. I know I feel so much better the days I eat healthier...not rocket science. I know that as long as I am moving and eating better I am getting closer and closer to a healthier me.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great post :)
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love when you post! Such a great motivator!!! Thank you!!
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You never cease to amaze me. I LOVE reading your posts. I especially enjoy your pictures, because a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for inspiring me everyday.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and I know you are right. Im not loosing a lot of weight on scale but measurments are different, still long way to go but I feel better in my clothes. You are an inspiration.:smile:
  • 3springchicks
    3springchicks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    GREAT Timing for your post. I've been pretty down lately about my daily (morning) battle with the Scale. Yes, I know I SHOULD NOT weigh myself each day, but I find it helps to keep my goals front and foremost in my mind throughout the day. I've made some great progress already, though I still have quite a bit to go. Your post helped me to put my "Scale Battles" into perspective. Thank you! Message received. I will keep up the good fight, and focus on measurements, not pounds. :smile:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Wow! What a difference! that's amazing :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Everyone should read this.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    You're post always remind me what is important. Thank you!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go on a scale strike! Damned thing!:grumble: :grumble:
  • happypath101
    Options
    As always, you speak the truth. And, I LOVE the analogy. Having had several "promotions" without a pay raise, that one really hits home for me. Well said!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    new obsession....forget the scale....I wanna look like you!! :wink:

inspiring, as always
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! :)
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Everyone should read this. The proof is in the pudding. Woot woot.