Asians trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I must've been the FATTEST Filipino ever. Standing at only 5'1, my heaviest was 237lbs and let me tell ya, I was very ROUND looking. Growing up my parents were always telling me to watch my weight blah blah blah and that didn't do anything but make me eat more. I freakin love food, especially food with tons of sodium- WE ASIANS :heart: OUR SOY SAUCE! It was disrespectful if we didn't eat what our parents made especially when we didn't have a lot of money to begin with. We were a family of 5 but my mom would make big batches of food. Whenever we'd go to a Filipino party the host would see empty plates and constantly ask you to get more..there was no "no thanks, I'm full" because that was being rude. You eat the whole time you're there! Now that I've started losing weight, my mom tells me not to starve myself- seriously?!
    Haha that's true but I'm an individualistic type of person & so I violate those stupid rules & cook my own food instead. Actually all 5 of us siblings cook each of our own foods at home since we have different taste buds, so much so that our mom got accustomed to that although she still cooks big batches of food & rice which I normally eat only once a day (I can't imagine myself eating it 3x a day as typical Filipinos do) but despite of that I still became obese 3 years ago. I realized that the typical Asian diet doesn't suit my body (gotta blame my Dad's genes for this, LOL) but still I get envious at other people that I see here everyday eating Krispy Kreme, McDonalds or KFC but remain very slim. Same goes when I'm in parties whenever the host ask me to get some more, I just say that "I really love your food & as much as I would like a second serving but I'm already so full that my stomach can't take it anymore." The rest I don't care.
  • 123_hereigo
    Options
    haha~ love this~ i've always been the biggest in my family~ my dad is 5'10 and weighs only 135 lbs~ my mama is just as thin and so is my younger brother. i just love food! haha~ my family always jokes with me saying that they "only eat to survive" while i "survive to eat"~ all my girl cousins in korea are only 110 pounds at most and she complains that she's too fat... >_<
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate being Asian and fat -- not only am I overweight (obese actually), but I am a short as well. Short and fat...not a great combination!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm half asian but almost all my friends are asian. Before I lost all my weight I used to stick out like a sore thumb so I completely understand how you feel!
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im chinese, and i know how it feels! i always have relatives telling me, oh u put on weight and my mum would be like u need to lose weight girl, u're fat! Yay, I know my face is chubby, really dun need more reminders! Dun even get me started on the clothing sizes in Asia!
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im chinese, and i know how it feels! i always have relatives telling me, oh u put on weight and my mum would be like u need to lose weight girl, u're fat! Yay, I know my face is chubby, really dun need more reminders! Dun even get me started on the clothing sizes in Asia!

I have a friend -- who is Asian also -- she is 5'2" and 120 lbs., which is NOT fat...but her mother her keeps calling her fat and telling her that she needs to lose weight so she's always commenting to me about her weight..that she thinks she is "fat". I'm like, c'mon! You are NOT fat. She wears size 5 now, but wants to get down to a size 0 because of her mother's comments. Asian parents can be so hard on their children.

And, yeah, I know what you mean about the clothing sizes in Asia. A "large" in Asia is like an "extra small" here in the U.S. It's crazy!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

The sizing in Asia is ridiculous.
  • SabrinaSt
    SabrinaSt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian.

I gained weight a few months ago. Already lost 3 kgs . I got 7 more kgs to go. It's been good so far. I was never really skinny and I sort of stick out like a sore thumb because of my hips and chest (which became more pronounced after I piled on the lbs.).
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    twinkie here.

I was really skinny as a kid, I didn't weigh over 100 until after I graduated high school. Then eating a bunch of crap like pizza and burgers made me start to gain weight, it gave me curves too. Currently trying to lose weight and get back to around 120. It is SO frustrating!

Has anybody has success with weight loss? What did you do?

(that YT video *kitten* Asian moms say is hilarious!)
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I'm Filipino and most of my pinoy relatives are tiny like my mother. Yea...I'm the fattest person in my immediate family (parents and sisters) and it sucks. My mother is always saying something to me about being "big"....but it's hard when your mother is 4' 9" and weighs 96 lbs.
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    Soooo funny. Being fat asian isn't so fun. Must be all the American food my parents used to say. They may be right about that.
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian too!

I am 5 2'1/2" and 60kgs. I used to be 55kgs but gained 5kg over two months, and you can imagine the comments I get!

I think we get the pressure about being too fat is that there are extremely few obese Asians. I am not sure about the reason, but I think its because the foods are more healthier a.k.a. lacking fat.

Its quite common to say "Why, you've got fatter!" when you see a person. Its just a general comment of life, I guess., not a direct insult or meant to offend anyone(well, except the sick few).

And where I live, finger thin is also definitely not in vogue either. I have plenty of friends who want to get fatter.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not Asian, but I married into an Asian family and Indians are pretty blunt about weight unfortunately. Its ironic, because a lot of (North - Delhi/NCR area) Indians are overweight. My in-laws like to point out my weight when I greet them and then proceed to make snide comments about me in Urdu, my husband valiantly defends me but he also gets attacked too. My husband is only a little chubby and his friends and family make fun of him all the time...

One instance that I remember that had nothing to do with with family was when I was buying a salwar suit for my sister and the person there helping me with measurements asked me if she was as fat as I was. It was a metal slap in the face and it took me a few seconds to breath and give her an answer.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm Eurasian and always got pretty mixed signals growing up - my parents are super-against weight loss, even though they put me on a diet when I was 10! I definitely find it hard to be around other Asians, who are a lot more delicate than me - both sides of my family are stocky, so I know that I'm never going to be as slender or graceful-looking.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    awesome i'm new here trying to lose weight tips on some good food for my diet would be nice :)
  • ImOver9000
    ImOver9000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hope you women aren't losing too much weight, guys actually like a bit of meat
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/fat-for-an-asian-the-pressure-to-be-naturally-perfect

^Interesting article some of you might be able to relate to
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post b/c I can completely relate -- growing up Chinese and constantly being criticized about weight has pushed me to try some extremely unhealthy fad diets in the past. Now, I just want to get to a healthy weight and be happy with my self-image and do it in a healthy/sustainable way.

Anyways, i'm here if anyone needs a friend/support :)
  • happyfitforlife
    Options
    I cried reading this topic. This is what has been taken me down. I don't understand. I'm at my healthy weight, 5'3" 108 lbs. But every time I meet my relatives or my friends, they ask me if I'd gained weight or tell me I look chubby/fat. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I get those questions to the point I don't wanna leave my house, don't wanna see anyone I know, and wanna move to the States or something. I hate living where I am now. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • violetcharms
    violetcharms Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah what sucks even more about gaining weight and being asian is that your weight gain is the first thing a relative will gladly point out to you when you they first see you after a long time. It bugs me. I don't go out and point out to them that they got old looking or that they gained weight either. So when I gained weight I try to avoid seeing relatives or people of my race.

I FEEL you.. I have no idea why people like to do that! As if I don't already know it. Takes all the will power and self control I have not to sock the skinny ***** real hard. looool.

But, I'm over that. I have a goal in mind now, and when I'm finished... they'll want to be me, instead of grinning asking if I've been to too many buffets recently.

I also find people who assume all Asians must be small-sized. grrrrrr

All that said, it's a beautiful Saturday.... and it's great to meet all you like-minded people here on MFP =)

http://www.xojane.com/issues/fat-for-an-asian-the-pressure-to-be-naturally-perfect

^Interesting article some of you might be able to relate to

This just made me weep, like a baby... =(