Strange or fine for one guy to be in a fitness class with

Options

Replies

• carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Overall it's fine but very occasionally it could be seen as creepy, depending on the class.

My gay friend Joe used to join me and a few friends in a strip tease aerobics class (remember those? lol.). That was a hoot. What was creepy were the dudes who would hang out in the hall and peer in the windows during class. Lame.
  • SmudgerSmithRhino
    Options
    Fine - No problemo.

Doing the class in a mankini - no not fine!
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Overall it's fine but very occasionally it could be seen as creepy, depending on the class.

My gay friend Joe used to join me and a few friends in a strip tease aerobics class (remember those? lol.). That was a hoot. What was creepy were the dudes who would hang out in the hall and peer in the windows during class. Lame.

i stare at womens *kitten* constantly to piss them off #ima****lol
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    At my old crossfit box in Houston, alot of times I was the only guy there. Not a thing wrong with it.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    My boyfriend's dad does Zumba all the time. The instructor loves it.

I really don't think there is a problem here, and if someone does have a problem with a man being in a gym class, then they might as well work out at home because you don't get a say in who wants to get healthy.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be fine. Theres a man in my zumba class and he's there for the very same reason as the rest of the people!!

I take Zumba 2-3x a week. I'm not always the only guy there either. Anywhere between 2-3 show up in my class of 20-30 women. Before I did Zumba my main form of cardio was jogging, 4-5x a week. I found out later I had bad ankles. Osteoarthritis in both of them with my right one being in worse shape. Because of this I couldn't jog as much as I wanted to. I've scaled back to 1-2x a week for jogging. I only do light distances of 2-3 miles now. I was sad for a little while that I couldn't jog as much as I did before, but I tried Zumba over a year ago and I like it. It's low impact on my ankles and I burn quite a bit according to my HRM.

I think it's fine. I get strange looks occasionally from other women in the class and probably assume I am a perv. It hasn't happened to me yet but I've heard stories from other MFPeeps that women have actually yelled at guys in a Zumba class accusing them of being pervs and that they need to leave because Zumba is a women only class. If that ever happens to me, I'll show them my before pics on my cel. And because I know someone is thinking it, no I am not gay.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

They were probably checking out Joe!
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My kid took dance class for a while in a school where he was the only boy. Didn't bother him any. He liked the attention and they always gave him some amazing solo in the end-of-year shows. :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's Fabulous!?

*shakes head*
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

SQNnj.gif
  • lrt1966
    Options
    I think it's awesome to have a guy or two in an otherwise all female class!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    BOTH
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There is an older gentlemen that does zumba every saturday, and I was in a step class and a guy was in there doing that, I think some men want to change up routines just like anyone else...I think its fine
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I take spin class and that is mainly women... it is a big calorie burner and I enjoy it.

There is one class that I would like to take, it is some sort of Body Pump class uses lots of different weights and combination lunge type moves. Looks really challenging and difficult... just can't get myself to suck it up and go in for a class. It is early Saturday morning when I am there, but I just stick to my NROL workouts and lift heavy instead.

I also notice one guy who takes the Zumba like class in my gym... surrounded by good looking women in tight workout gear I think he is just crazy like a fox!
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious, its not a kitchen.

hahahaha so good.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

i used to go to Body Pump (which i found out about from a bloke) when i got there it was pretty much all women bar 2 blokes which would fluctuate from 0-2 men depending. then my bf joined (he didnt want to because he thought it was all women. but not unchallenging.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

Seriously?

no i was being serious, its not a kitchen.
    <---Knows women who can lift more than you and are sexy as hell..... on my FL!

LEVEL 5 ALERT
    douchalert.jpg
  • JoeyliciousB
    JoeyliciousB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine for a man or a woman to do or take whatever they want to get fit.

This
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

im seriously hoping that this is your attempt at sarcasm :noway:

Sorry darling Ive invaded man territory

I deadlift right at 200 right now

i dont play nice with cardio equipment