10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• GibblesandBits8064
    GibblesandBits8064 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? WE GOT ENGAGED IN JANUARY 2011 AND WEDDING WAS IN MAY 2011 SO...3-1/2 MONTHS!

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? BETWEEN $10,000 & $15,000. WE DIDN'T REALLY ESTABLISH A BUDGET SINCE IT WAS SO SOON. WE JUST WANTED TO GET IT DONE.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? IT WAS A SMALL WEDDING SO 52, ONLY 46 CAME.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? WE GAVE OUT SMALL CANDIES IN A BAG, CANDLES WITH OUR NAMES ON THEM, AND BUBBLES.

5. What season was your wedding in? SPRING

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY @ 11:30 AM. THEY SAY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GET MARRIED WHEN THE MINUTE HAND IS GOING UP. IT'S FOR GOOD LUCK AND MEANS YOU'LL HAVE A GOOD MARRIAGE. I'M NOT SUPERSTITIOUS, I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A CUTE IDEA.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? NOTHING! IT WAS GREAT! I LOVED EVERYTHING. NO ONE DANCED EXCEPT ME AND MY SISTER AND BROTHER, BUT I DIDN'T CARE. IT WAS MY DAY AND ALL I CARED ABOUT WAS IF I WAS HAVING FUN.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? THE VENUE AND YES.

9. What were your colors? DARK BLUE AND SILVER

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? YES I MADE MY OWN BUBBLES FAVORS. I JUST BOUGHT THE BUBBLES FROM MICHAEL'S THAT HAVE LITTLE HEARTS ON THEM AND TIED DARK BLUE AND SILVER RIBBON AROUND THEM. AND I DID MY OWN MAKE UP!
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just realised another thing, I did my own hair and makeup, as did everyone else (mum, bridesmaids etc). That helped keep costs down. And I did hire a photographer, but he wasn't too expensive, about $800. I've been married before and I didn't get photos last time, so that was one thing I really wanted this time. And they were lovely.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 3 days

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $400

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 0/0

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Nothing

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 6pm on a Monday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing, it was wonderful

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Trip to Vegas, which really isn't much of a splurge

9. What were your colors? n/a

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Wore a dress I already had in my closet

I love it.
  • GibblesandBits8064
    GibblesandBits8064 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also gave my bridesmaids really expensive pearl necklace and earring sets and my brother was my "gayed" of honor and he got earrings (he's gay if you didn't get that lol). And my husband gave his boys a nice money clip, a personalized bear mug, and a nice pocket watch. :smile:
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    --Engaged 10 months, 5 months of planning

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    --$10,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    ---85 invited, 80 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    ---small monogrammed jars of our favourite tea

5. What season was your wedding in?
    --early summer (June)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    --Saturday, June 25, ceremony @ 1pm, reception at 6pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    --I wanted it in a different city!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    --Nothing was over the top, but my dress was $1,100, I splurged on raw silk :)

9. What were your colors?
    --the colours of my hubby's tartan: green/blue/orange

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    --made the favours ourselves, printed invitations at home (invites cost $60!), I did all the flowers myself and they were amazing... $400 instead of $1,000-$1,300 as I was quoted.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 3 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about 100 dollars...license, bloodwork, and courthouse fee

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? i had about a dozen people

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? none

5. What season was your wedding in? late winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? thursday, 11am

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? i would have a real wedding...dress and all...i wore a black two piece skirt suit

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? none really

9. What were your colors? black and purple....

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? no
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 8 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? 5,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 125/100

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? homemade chocolates in little boxes

5. What season was your wedding in? August

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 5pm on a Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Wish my Mom could have been there

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? booze...lol....not necessarily worth it...but had to be done

9. What were your colors? pink and silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made my own centrepieces
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    Hi =)

My wedding isn't until next year but:

1. By the time the big day rolls around we would have spent 2 years planning

2. we will end up spending about $20,000 NZD

3. we are inviting about 80 people

4. for our favours we are going to set up a "candy buffet" table

5. our wedding is in the middle of spring

6. it's going to be at 4 pm on a Saturday

9. our main colour is lilac

I can't answer the rest sorry but I hope this helps!!
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've never been married..However I've been to a lot of weddings and have watched many many many people plan their weddings.

The ones that had simple weddings, didn't spend a ton of money or time seemed to stress less and have more fun.
    The ones that spent 15k, 20k, 30k on their weddings...stressed more than any human should and ended up not enjoying their big day because they just "Wanted it to be over with"..

I plan to do a destination wedding, paying for his parents and my parents...and just go away, get married, and honeymoon right there. :)
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6mths

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? 5,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 100 people. I think about 1/2 showed it was a blur

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I made packets of m&ms in my wedding colors

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 2:00 the first week

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing that I can think of

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? the place and yes it was perfect

9. What were your colors? black, white and yellow...I had my girls just wear whatever black dress they owned,

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? the m&Ms and the invitations.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Engaged for 1.25 years for logistical reasons, spent about a day actually planning the wedding.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Less than $500. Yes.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Sister and her family, three closest friends and their spouses. They were the only ones invited.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None.

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter - January

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunday afternoon at 2:00

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not a single thing.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? There were no big splurges. Even my dress was less than $100.

9. What were your colors? No "colors". I wore ivory. My niece wore a floral print dress she could wear again.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I was married in my parents' living room. As a surprise for me, my dad made some decorations for the entryway where we stood for the ceremony.
  • SandysNewLife
    SandysNewLife Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? only 3 1/2 months !

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? cant recall.Not that much for the actual wedding.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? none to the wedding. We got married in Hawaii. had 90ish over to the house 2 weeks later

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? nothing

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wednesday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?would of had my Mom there.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? going to Hawaii. Yes

9. What were your colors? none

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? made my own ring pillow, gloves and veil.
  • marywanoKC
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Six months, give or take. We'd planned for a fall wedding, but couldn't wait to be together, so we moved it up three months...lol

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Like $2.5k - We didn't really "plan" on anything, we just bought what we needed, and tried to keep it as cheap as possible.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited maybe 150, but 200 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Nah.

5. What season was your wedding in? Late spring/early summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at two o'clock

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I'd have done everything that WE wanted to do, instead of how everyone else wanted. But we renewed or vows and wound up with the things we wanted in the beginning, just later than we'd hoped.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? My dress (that I hated) - $500. Honeymoon: $1800 (Loved it!)

9. What were your colors? Peach & Hunter Green. We had to try and coordinate with the existing colors in the church... blech. I hate peach.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We made the flowers, the cake for 200 people (nightmare), the birdseed parcels, the aisle floral arrangements and bows, I did my own makeup...

In a nutshell, we paid for everything but let other people boss us into a large religious wedding that we didn't want, but we are SO happy together ten years later. Even if things don't go according to plan, you have every day afterwards to make up for it, and plan for the future. And can renew your vows as many times as you like, in as many ways as you like, to keep things fresh and romantic. I think we're going to do ours every ten years. :)
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    1. 5days
    2. $850, including my band :)
    3. 10
    4. my MIL bought everybody lunch, lol
    5. spring
    6. i actually dont remeber the day it was, i think it was about 11am or so...it was April 1st (April Fools Day) hahah
    7. it was what we wanted it to be. simple.
    8. new pair of jean forboth of us! ahaha omg, i sound like suck a hick!
    9. we all (hubs and kids) had cream and brown on, so the pics wuld look nice.
    10. i called the guests the day before.

unconventional, yes, but so are we ;)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Planned 4 months

This was 15 years ago, I think 10 grand?
    300plus

We hand-made chimes as favors.

It was Fall-time

It started at 10am, on a Sunday.

I wasn't prepared for the inattentiveness of the Wedding Coordinator during the ceremony and event....she did some dumb things, to my surprise. Would have been nice to have a back-up friend/relative checking things over.

We served wine with the reception. The whole thing was a splurge, really. And this is not bragging, but money was not a hindrance...if it were I would have planned accordingly. Expensive or frugal, weddings are very precious.

Colors were Navy, apricot and cream

Our music was 12 accapella singers...they were all friends and we did not pay them, but gave small gifts to them.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? one year

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? not sure, parents paid

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 175/150

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? potted pansies (which were part of our centerpieces)

5. What season was your wedding in? spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 1pm wedding, all afternoon/evening reception

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? the groom (the marriage didn't last, but the wedding was awesome!)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? my personal splurge, my shoes, I figured if I was going to have them on all day they were going to be NICE, and yes. worth it, until the dog chewed on them the day after lol

9. What were your colors? purple

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? potted pansies, which died 1 week before the wedding, omen perhaps??? and programs
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    First wedding was too many years ago to remember, but for my second wedding (3 years ago):

1. Planned for about 4 months
    2. Can't remember what it cost - not super expensive
    3. 35 guests
    4. No giveaways, though I did buy a bunch of noodle boxes so we could send the leftover cupcakes home for kids of friends (wedding cake was a bunch of cupcakes on a stand)
    5. Autum
    6. Sunday lunch
    7. Wouldn't change anything.. oh, except maybe check that the celebrant is there before we walk in.....
    8. Splurge - a gorgeous necklace for me that i have worn again
    9. My dress was blue/purple, bridesmaid was dark purple
    10. We made the invitations and place cards - easy!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 5 weeks.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Less than $500

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We sort of eloped. Just us. It was perfect.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? NA

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunset, Tuesday on Smathers Beach, Key West, FL

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not a darn thing.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The trip itself. We flew direct to Key West instead of flying to Miami, and driving. Totally worth itl.

9. What were your colors? N/A

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?-Nope. We stayed at a bed and breakfast. They cut roses from their garden when we told them we were getting married that night. We arranged our wedding with an organization called "Weddings to Go" (I kid you not). It was great. The wife was the minister. The husband was the photographer. We got great pictures on a DVD, delivered to our room the next day, posted on their website within hours so our families could see them. It was fabulous. We had an absolute blast.
    [
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    just under 6 months
    2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    $25K, but that included the honeymoon
    100/75, adults only black tie reception
    none. We did have balloons in lieu of table flowers, and a balloon drop and campaign toast at midnight.
    December 31st - NYE
    6PM ceremony, immediately followed by cocktail party and then right to reception. It was on a Tuesday.
    Nothing!
    Pictures. They will last forever, when flowers, dress, etc. don't.
    Also had an ice sculpture that was pretty cool.
    silver, white and black. bridesmaids dresses were candy apple red though, so they stood out. My dress was a pale pink & ivory.

Our save the date and wedding invitations. On planning, we are both project managers by profession, so we split up the duties and each took 1/2 of the responsibilities. When we narrowed down the choices, we got the other one involved for the final joint decision. That way it wasn't just MY wedding, we both had a say, and our parents didn't get to but in (we paid for it ourselves so it should be that way).

I take it you're planning a wedding? Have fun! It's been almost 10 years since mine, and I still pull out my album several times a year to relive the memories.
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Officially, 7 months, but we had sort of had ideas before the actual engagement.

Under $5,000

Invited: 120
    Showed: 60 (but we invited a lot from out of state we knew couldn't make it)

Favor box with chocolate

Fall

Sunday at 4:00 pm, with Dinner following in the basement of the church.

Nothing actually, everything went very well.

$600+ dress (more with alterations.) It was not worth it, because I thought I'd do the right thing and work with a local dress shop from my home town 500 miles away. I was there 3 weeks before for my final fitting, couldn't be there when my mom picked it up and they failed to complete the alterations as they were supposed to. It showed up so big in the chest I couldn't keep it up without holding it and they didn't reattach the fabric flowers on the hip. It was a friday night when I found this out, so I had to panickly find a friend who could sew do fix it roughly. No one noticed, but I knew it didn't fit perfect like it was supposed to. And, to top if off, the dress shop was a jerk about it.

A close second was a local friend to do catering for us, he did a great simple dinner that was very affordable.

Navy Blue and Silver

We did invitations, favor boxes and grew my own flowers. I hired talented friends to make the cake, arrange the flowers, take photographs and cater.