Is it just me......Always overbudget

Options

Replies

• Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Though... gotta say... $150 on a pair of shoes? wtf man? I've never spent more than $60. Do you have champagne taste on a beer budget? :wink:

Those are the cheapest shoes where I live. In canada.

I live in Canada and $150 for shoes would be TOP of the line. Just curious what area you are in?

montreal
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to wear plastic rubber faux leather. sure. But i am not talking about online. And thats tax in.

Well, there you go... You don't want to wear synthetics, it's out of your means, you go over budget. I'd bite the bullet and buy synthetics because I can't AFFORD leather. I bought my suits for work in a sale because I CAN'T AFFORD tailored or full price off-the-rack.
    Being on a budget means just that. I live on 200CAD a fortnight, most of that goes on food, bills and travel. I don't drive, I don't go out to eat, I can budget in one night out at a club with no cover charge if I don't have to pay for taxis... I don't mean to sound like a *****, but you can take your $150 shoes and go cry into them, some of us really have to fight to even make grocery budgets stretch.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me, I have one day where I buy what I've had my eye on and eat where I want (within reason, of course)! It is usually pay day and enjoy it for that day, then every day after that, I really stick to not eating out and not buying anything that I want. I feel like I get to have a luxurious day, stay within a budget, and am working towards saving more.

Oh, I treat myself to a coffee or tea when I am out and about and try to get it around 3 dollars. It lets me feel like I am treating myself, not cutting corners, but three dollars a day? Not bad!
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

Do you not have a payless shoes near you? 10-15 bucks for shoes
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking the course by dave ramswey for specifically this reason. it is an amazing resource!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Im there too! I'm a single mom with a daughter in daycare..daycare alone is almost what my rent is every month! It's horrible! Once she is in Kindergarten, it won't be so bad, but I can barely afford to pay bills, add groceries into that, I'm beyond broke right now! I just tell myself, it will get better! It has too.. can't be stuck here forever!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I tnk the whole damn planet is broke right now. Except for politicians, Wall Street, and banks. I know I ain't got no money. :sad:
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

Sorry but no one NEEDS a 150.00 pair of shoes. those aren't needs those are wants. Learn to buy less expensive stuff. I can outfit all my kids in clothes for 150.00 not just shoes. Learn to look for bargains. That usually helps! Sales, sales, sales are your best friend, hope that helps. :)
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

There lies your problem. $150 shoes. Thats about 5 times more than what I would pay for any piece of clothing. It all adds up ;)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Damn. How many pairs did you get for $150? I buy Rockports at a Rockport outlet and I normally pay about $40-$50 / pair.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

Sorry but no one NEEDS a 150.00 pair of shoes. those aren't needs those are wants. Learn to buy less expensive stuff. I can outfit all my kids in clothes for 150.00 not just shoes. Learn to look for bargains. That usually helps! Sales, sales, sales are your best friend, hope that helps. :)

What she said!.

We shop clothing and all for a family of four each season and the bill is right around $150. (Hint plan seasons ahead, we just bought a bunch of stuff for next summer at end-of-summer clearances.. 75-80% off)

The shoes I wear, I bought 6 pairs for $55 including shipping four years ago, a couple are still in the box in the closet, should last me another 4-5 years.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You wind up spending more money in the long run when you buy cheap shoes. It's better to invest a good amount of money for good shoes than keep buying new ones over and over again.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Though... gotta say... $150 on a pair of shoes? wtf man? I've never spent more than $60. Do you have champagne taste on a beer budget? :wink:

Good shoes sometimes cost that much. Once in a blue moon, as long as they're made well (and they damn well better be), it's a good choice.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i work my *kitten* off at 2 jobs, still can't get ahead. everytime i think i'm going to catch up, something happens. last week it was the truck- tire blew out, $170 + $1100 for tires + ??? for body damage= i'm broke again.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've honesty never spent less than $100 on a pair of shoes lol I mean the ones I'm wearing now were $120 and my running shoes cost $145 so I don't see why poeple are shocked lol
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sheesh $150 is not that bad. My bf just got some work-boots that were regularly priced at $200 and my son constantly buys shoes that are well over that. I mean, compare that to Jimmy Choo and Prada prices and it will look like nothing.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I was like this until someone told me the pay yourself first rule. It's crazy but it works. Five years of doing it and now I'm buying a house.

What you do is figure out 10% of your monthly take home pay. Then you have to reframe your thinking and consider yourself the absolute most nasty *kitten* feed-you-to-the-pigs mob gangster possible. So the very first 10% of every paycheck MUST get paid to yourself - put it in savings and leave it there. Nothing is allowed to be considered more important, not your food, not your gas, not your rent... YOU WILL SWIM WITH THE FISHES UNLESS YOU PAY THAT 10% to thegang boss.

Do it, seriously. It's a rule to live by. Why work if you're not paying yourself anyway?

This is a great idea! I'm very frugal anyway. I could probably do this.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    O.k. Why everyone hating on the shoes. That is not the point of this thread. But maybe I will go to work tomorrow in sandals. See how that works out. Or better yet, billy boots. Now how many of you ever spent money on things like jewelry, purses, etc...for me that is a waste. Spending $100 on your hair. I shave my own. Going to get your nails done. Make up..............
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I shop thrift stores for special items and every now and then I get lucky. I just got a pair of brand new Adidas running shoes that look like they've never been worn. Basically I just got a new pair of running shoes for $5 that would have cost over $100 in stores.....
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Would you rather spend $150 on quality shoes, that you can wear for years, or spend $60 every 9months? When I'm on a budget, I buy cheap shoes, and they last me like six months. When I was younger and my mom bought shoes, she would save and buy a nice pair because I cuold wear them for years without spending money again. Sometimes the long term investement means spending more up front.