Is it just me......Always overbudget

Options

Replies

• Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. Things were so much better before my car caught on fire. Now I'm shelling out $450 a month just to keep a car on the road when before that I wasn't paying for anything other than gas.

What are you driving? That is what you pay for an ultima. I drive a Yaris. I pay 280. But....it does take about a minute to get to 100. I miss my super charger.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I was like this until someone told me the pay yourself first rule. It's crazy but it works. Five years of doing it and now I'm buying a house.

What you do is figure out 10% of your monthly take home pay. Then you have to reframe your thinking and consider yourself the absolute most nasty *kitten* feed-you-to-the-pigs mob gangster possible. So the very first 10% of every paycheck MUST get paid to yourself - put it in savings and leave it there. Nothing is allowed to be considered more important, not your food, not your gas, not your rent... YOU WILL SWIM WITH THE FISHES UNLESS YOU PAY THAT 10% to thegang boss.

Do it, seriously. It's a rule to live by. Why work if you're not paying yourself anyway?

This.....and it's paramount...you have to DO this....

sometimes you sacrifice "wants" now to make sure "wants" later are a possibility

I'm a single mother on a 55K salary and I always find a way to make it work......mostly because I pay myself first.

There is absolutely no way in hell I could do that. the person that invented that probably doesn't pay child support.

I'm on the flip side...i'm the one not GETTING child support and I find a way to make it work.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    Kids are expensive. If I was kidless, I would easily save $1000 a month. Daycare costs me $1000 a month.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Envelope Budgeting : https://www.eebacanhelp.com/envelope-budgeting.php

There are many smart phone apps that help you do it. I use Balance on the iPhone.

Just as with calorie counting, keeping track of what you spend as you spend it helps you save money. You'll always know how much money you have left.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    wow, thats sad for you...I have always been great with money and I save out of every paycheck, I have a very nice savings account.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

You got ripped off, that shoe is now under clearance for 59
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard I try, I am always over budget. Need this, that, and the other thing. I do not spend carelessly, but things just keep coming up............Who can save money in today's world........

I'm very dedicated to the financial budget. There is always something you think you need that you can always really do without, or get by somehow. I've had years of practice and grew up poor. I guess that is what has helped me. We even paid off our house mortgage in 15 years and put money away for retirement at the same time, but taking hand me down furniture and not driving fancy cars, not needing to have the latest gadgets, heating the house with a wood stove and going out to chop an split our own wood, etc. You have to want it. Just like a calorie budget for weight loss.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

^ THIS is your example? Oh poor you.....
  • enigmachik
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

I think I see your problem. $200 school fees might not be avoidable, but the rest is.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I save money every single month as does my man friend. Currently have over 20k in savings between the two of us. And retirement all set away as well. It's not the easiest thing to do, but I'd rather save now and go crazy when I retire.

I applaud your financial savvy but what if tomorrow doesn't come? I know that sounds morbid but I watched my Grandparents save and put a lot of stuff off until retirement. Unfortunately my Grandfather retired early through ill-health and his health didn't improve so they weren't able to go through with those plans. Save a little but live a little too!
  • Charlie003
    Options
    I guess I should not mention my IPAD 3........
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump I want to read some of this later :smile:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I guess I should not mention my IPAD 3........

yeah dude...you're making choices...it's hard to sit there and complain about not having money when you are obviously making choices to buy things at premium prices just to have them in a consumerist world....

there are WAYS to be underbudget...but all of them require sacrifice and hard work....they just do...

nothing worth having is easy.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would be OK if it wasn't for the almost $700 in daycare each month. That's only for one!
  • Charlie003
    Options
    I would be OK if it wasn't for the almost $700 in daycare each month. That's only for one!

This man gets me.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

UHM...My shoes are $19.99... a pair. Pumas and addidas... gimme a break on spending $150.
    I space out the time i pay my bills and STILL have money left over. I don't get how people don't have money...I get anxious if I have less that $300 in my account at any given time...(excluding what I have in savings :wink: )
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

you know you can get steve madden shoes at Winners all the time at bargain prices...why are you paying full price and then complaining about it?

edited for grammar

Not to mention the shoes I'm wearing as we speak are literally IDENTICAL. I spent $60 on them over a year ago and they are still going strong and look great.

There is no reason at all to be spending $150 on shoes.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    I save money every single month as does my man friend. Currently have over 20k in savings between the two of us. And retirement all set away as well. It's not the easiest thing to do, but I'd rather save now and go crazy when I retire.

I applaud your financial savvy but what if tomorrow doesn't come? I know that sounds morbid but I watched my Grandparents save and put a lot of stuff off until retirement. Unfortunately my Grandfather retired early through ill-health and his health didn't improve so they weren't able to go through with those plans. Save a little but live a little too!

My father died last year. A few months after retiring.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here are the shoes I'm wearing now. http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/shoes/mens-shoes/dress-shoes/stacy-adams-connelly-mens-slip-ons/prod.jump?ppId=16a4032&catId=cat100300057&deptId=dept20000018&N=927&topDim=Brand&topDimvalue=stacy+adams&dimCombo=Brand|&dimComboVal=stacy+adams|&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=stacy+adams

No difference in looks. $95 difference in price.

Oh and they are comfortable as hell.

But I'm betting you have issues with shopping at places like JC Penney if you think spending less than $150 on shoes means going to a "thrift store".