over-200-club-new-year-new-body-part-7

Options

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Ahh, sodium...my weight loss nemesis!

I don't know the chemistry behind it other than increase sodium (salt) causes the body to retain fluids from the things you eat and drink during the day. Drinking an increased amount of water can flush the body of the sodium so that you lose the water retention.

Unfortunately, sodium is in everything, so it's been the hardest thing for me to monitor and stay within my limits. I can definitely tell the difference when I've had too much sodium because I gain and lose weight based on my sodium intake in comparison with my water intake.

I hope this helps, but like I said, I don't know the science between it; only the basics.

I think Heather explained it really well. And if she didn't, then I couldn't have done any better. :laugh:

Sodium used to be a problem for me until I really started paying attention & trying to cut down on the amount of overprocessed & packaged foods I was eating. A few days ago, I actually felt the need to ADD some extra salt to my potato just so my sodium wouldn't be under 1000mg for the day (your body does need sodium to function, afterall)!

I still have occasional days when I go over 2000mg or even 2500mg of sodium. When that happens, I just expect my weight to increase a few pounds for the next couple days & I try to drink a little extra water. Apparently, not everyone is affected by the effects of extra sodium (or maybe they're just not aware) but it seems most people are.

Not only does water "flush out" extra sodium (and other things), it also helps you feel more full. And as I suggested in a post under another topic several days ago, it's a 0 calorie thing you can do with your mouth. :wink:
  • LittleSpy
    Options

I saw this in the NYT and it looks so good! The key would be to keep portion sizes small, so only use as many potatoes as you would want each person to eat! Edited to add - I'd just use sweet potatoes!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/health/nutrition/17recipehealth.html

Oh yes ma'am! I make baked fries very often! Especially if I'm making burgers or breaded chicken tenders. Mmmmm.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Good Morning girls, I don't really have much time. I have to get Ryan to speech. I just needed a suggestion. I am tired of a veggie and a salad with a meat. Tonight we are having grilled chicken asparagus and I want another dish that would replace rice or a potatoe (because of the carbs so lower carb than these.) I would appreciate any suggestions. I even thought of oven roasted potatoes and just give him half a serving. I do not know but I would sure appreciate some suggestions. I will check back later and see what you ladies can suggest. HOpe everyone is having a great day!!!!

I saw this in the NYT and it looks so good! The key would be to keep portion sizes small, so only use as many potatoes as you would want each person to eat! Edited to add - I'd just use sweet potatoes!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/health/nutrition/17recipehealth.html

Recipes for Health
    Oven Fries
    By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
    Published: February 17, 2010
    These fries have savory, crisp edges and, like regular fries, they’re a bit addictive

I was thinking of making oven fries, but looking at the picture on the link you gave convinced me that I am going to do it. I usually make good potatoes I was just trying to get away from it because of my hubbby. I did not realize the red potatoes had a lower glycemic index which is what would be better for us and him. Thanks for sharing. Besides it sounds so good with grilled chicken and asparagus.
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all the great ideas. I will be trying some of the suggestions over the next few weeks. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day for me. Yum. I have been craving a seafood type salad WITHOUT mayo so that I can add cocktail sauce. I found some at the deli and made my own cocktail sauce mmmmmmmm that was a good lunch. I am so satisfied!!! I was so hungry today.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!
    Went and got half a sandwich for lunch stacked with a ton of veggies, yeay. However, I also bought a thing of these "healthier" peanut oil fried chips. I don't even really care for chips (doritos are different, lol) but what did I do? Ate 80% of the bag driving back to work. They weren't that great and they were about 275 cals. SO yeah. Here's to buying sh!tty food you don't even like just because you are hungry and want something NOW.
    I know better than that!
    Calorie wise I am still okay, over on sodium like others have mentioned today, but I can go to the gym tonight and work it off. Still though...DUH. I know better than that.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I bought asparagus to make this week, too. I just want to warn anyone that has never experienced this before (I hadn't and I've eaten asparagus on several occasions). It's going to be TMI.

The last time I ate asparagus, my pee smelled HORRIBLE for DAYS after. I was freaking out! :laugh: I finally found something online about how some people have some kind of something that makes asparagus have that effect on their urine. Other people have some kind of something that lets them SMELL the effect that asparagus has on the urine, and some people have both. I am apparently one of those people. And so is my bf. Neither one of us had experienced the asparagus urine smell before but both of us had it last time so apparently it ALSO depends on the asparagus. For some reason I feel like I recall reading some kind of research (weird research...) about the whole asparagus urine smell thing that backed up that some people pee it and some people smell it and some people smell and pee it and some people neither pee nor smell it. :tongue:

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you not to be horrified if it smells like something has crawled into your toilet and died a few hours after you eat the asparagus. :laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree sodium is the devil. I have noticed if have a high sodium intake and drink at least 12 glasses of water it doesn't seem to affect me as bad. I had a whole weekend where I knew my sodium was way too high and on Monday had one 8oz glass of litpon green tea and about 12 glasses of water and drop 2 pounds over night. Thought that was pretty crazy. Even if something is low in calories it's usually still very high in sodium. Very hard thing that I constantly struggle with to monitor.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Okay -- so just to give you waaaayyyyy tmi, I just went to the restroom at work & smelled the asparagus pee! I thought I was crazy until I realized the pumpkin ravioli I had at lunch (I admit it -- it was a frozen fast food kind of morning) had asparagus in it! It's such an awful smell! :laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    I bought asparagus to make this week, too. I just want to warn anyone that has never experienced this before (I hadn't and I've eaten asparagus on several occasions). It's going to be TMI.

The last time I ate asparagus, my pee smelled HORRIBLE for DAYS after. I was freaking out! :laugh: I finally found something online about how some people have some kind of something that makes asparagus have that effect on their urine. Other people have some kind of something that lets them SMELL the effect that asparagus has on the urine, and some people have both. I am apparently one of those people. And so is my bf. Neither one of us had experienced the asparagus urine smell before but both of us had it last time so apparently it ALSO depends on the asparagus. For some reason I feel like I recall reading some kind of research (weird research...) about the whole asparagus urine smell thing that backed up that some people pee it and some people smell it and some people smell and pee it and some people neither pee nor smell it. :tongue:

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you not to be horrified if it smells like something has crawled into your toilet and died a few hours after you eat the asparagus. :laugh:

Now that you point this it out it makes so much sense to me! I eat asparagus a lot and could never figure out what the deal is! Just thought I was a freak or something. Thanks for pointing this out! LOL
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I track my sodium intake, but I also keep track of how my rings are fitting. If my wedding band is about to fall off I'm not holding much water- if they're snug I am. It's an easy way to keep track because I'm pretty sure my fingers aren't the primary location for fat deposits and withdraws LOL!

I get sausage fingers when I'm walking if I don't keep my hands up as high as my elbows - which is not from salt, just from the gravatational pull...

Another handy rule of thumb!!! ANY WEIGHT :angry: GAIN:grumble: IS WATER:mad: ANY WEIGHT:smile: LOSS:bigsmile: IS FAT! (it's my theory I can use it if I want!:indifferent: )
  • Momma2four
    Options
    jlb123, asparagus does not do that to me but it does it to my husband. When I feed him asparagus I can smell it in the bathroom. He even gets mad at me for making it because he hates what it does to his "peepee" (mommy talk for urine:laugh:) It is not the first time I have eaten asparagus, like a said I grew up in a town that grows it and is very well known for great asparagus crops. As a matter of fact it is almost in season here, in April we have a huge asparagus festival and they make the best battered dipped deep fried asparagus ever. It is just a new thing for me to try to make it in healthier ways.

As for the sodium talk. I am on meds for high blood pressure one of my meds is acually a "water pill" and the other one is used to remove sodium from my system. I have to be very careful not to cut my sodium back because of that. mstahl, i get sausage fingers too when I walk. I hate that.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Apparently I woke up with sausage feet this morning. Tried to put on my cute grey suede boots for work this morning for a "dressed up jeans look" and yeah. Off they went, and on went the boring Born shoes I wear that are practical. LAME.
    Must have been the sodium in the homemade pizza I made last night. And water retention from changing up my work out this week too most likely.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I track my sodium intake, but I also keep track of how my rings are fitting. If my wedding band is about to fall off I'm not holding much water- if they're snug I am. It's an easy way to keep track because I'm pretty sure my fingers aren't the primary location for fat deposits and withdraws LOL!

I get sausage fingers when I'm walking if I don't keep my hands up as high as my elbows - which is not from salt, just from the gravatational pull...

Another handy rule of thumb!!! ANY WEIGHT :angry: GAIN:grumble: IS WATER:mad: ANY WEIGHT:smile: LOSS:bigsmile: IS FAT! (it's my theory I can use it if I want!:indifferent: )

Mstahl,
    I love that! Never thought much about it before but my ring fit varies from day to day. Sometimes I have a sausage finger when I wake up !! ;-)
    Thanks for making me chuckle.

Meokk
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi team,
    I let the scales affect me and have been consistently over. Recording some online and some on paper with the intention of transferring to online.

Sunday, Feb. 14th was the 3rd anniversary of my Mother's passing and i found it was harder than I expected. I had a very wonderful Valentine's Date with the guy I am dating the night before, but I hadn't planned anything for myself for support on the actual day and found that I probably should've because I ended up getting depressed. I called all my friends and they were all busy. it is also an anniversary of several other sad things in my life, and so it is always hard in Feb.

I am working on getting back on track and am doing a bit better right now.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Hi team,
    I let the scales affect me and have been consistently over. Recording some online and some on paper with the intention of transferring to online.

Sunday, Feb. 14th was the 3rd anniversary of my Mother's passing and i found it was harder than I expected. I had a very wonderful Valentine's Date with the guy I am dating the night before, but I hadn't planned anything for myself for support on the actual day and found that I probably should've because I ended up getting depressed. I called all my friends and they were all busy. it is also an anniversary of several other sad things in my life, and so it is always hard in Feb.

Don't let it get you down! Hang in there! Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Hi team,

Sorry about all that you are going through right now. I know that your mother would be proud of all the work you have accomplished this far. I am sure she would want you to move forward and continue with this journey. I know you can get back on track. Just like you did before.
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Checking in for the night 2/18/10:
    calories- under by 352:explode:
    water- yes
    excercise- nope
    proud- not much
    sodium- 975

so tired today, baby had me up from 2am until 630am then we had to leave for work/daycare. gonna go relax then go to bed early night night!

Cris
  • danielleca
    danielleca Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Mind if I join you? Looks like a great group! A little about myself. I'm 30 and live with my bf in the San Francisco area of CA. I work in HR and also am an independent Beachbody fitness coach. Right now I am in the middle of a round of Insanity, a crazy intense cardio program and I'm focusing on really making sure my eating is really clean. While I have always loved working out, I've never been so good about nutrition, so I have a lot of weight to lose. At my highest I was 270, and my first big goal is to get somewhere around 170 (I'm 5'11). I'm hoping by tomorrow I will have hit a big milestone- losing 25 lbs!

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Danielle
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks JLB, HAJohnson, Jess, Momma and Mstahl for your sodium tips.
    I think I get it now and will keep a close watch on my intake and a lookout for any sausage appendages!!!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    roro - I wish I could give you a big hug. :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm so sorry that Feb. brings such sadness to you. I lost my brother three years ago and I still feel the pain, mostly around his death anniv. in Jan. and his birthday in March.

Welcome, all ye newcomers! You will love it here! :flowerforyou:

Sodium - ah, yes. I used to never track it, but once I started and realized how much I was getting (like at least 1K over every day!), I focus every single day on keeping in the limits. My legs don't swell up like they used to, and I know this is directly related. What surprised me is how much sodium is in canned soup. Holy schmolies, batman! :noway: You can go over for the entire day with one can of soup! Now I make my own. SOOO much better for me!

check in:

cals: perfect
    water: 64
    exercise: none - my knee is killing me! Plus I need a day off.
    proud: that I am forcing myself to not work out today. I can get a tad OCD with it. :ohwell: