Did Matthew McConaughey go too far for new role?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Bale also did it for the movie Rescue Dawn - seriously people, if you haven't seen this movie, check it out. Dark and a bit disturbing sure (it is about prison camps in Laos afterall), but amazing.

And let's not forget Tom Hanks did quite a weight shift for his role in CastAway as well. Quite heavy in the beginning of the movie to quite slim (not dangerously so as McConaughey and Bale, but still) at the end.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's not as unhealthy as having AIDS
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think actors that take these drastic approaches are in tune with the role they are playing and will then likely get recognized for their work/role regardless of their acting skills. As a fan of Matthew, this role is an exception and not the norm and will love to see how he performs, even looking old and thin. He's widely known for his great smile, perfect body, uncanny sense of humor, and love interest in most chick flicks. I don't think the object of attention of this movie should about how he LOOKS but how he PERFORMS.

Good and bad actors come in all shapes and sizes, just like the rest of the world. The most important thing, regardless if you are paid to manipulate your body or not, is to take care of it.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    50 Cent did it too. And he was terrifying.

50_cent_skinny_fiddy.jpeg

Yikes! When was this?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    He's an actor. He's passionate about his career. I wouldn't say he went too far.

I don't hear people talking about Marky Mark going too far with his new bodybuilding movie, which he clearly used drugs to bulk up for....

We pay to see good movies, with believable roles.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    There are others that go the other direction put on a lot of muscle. Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson got crazy big for the new Pain and Gain movie coming out. I guess we just expect that from the action stars though.

Pain-And-Gain-Photo-Tournage-Dwayne-Johnson-09-187x250.jpg
    mark-wahlberg-pain-and-gain-image1.jpg

Im sure they have lots of doctors around them also. :tongue:

Thank you for making my day :love:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Good and bad actors come in all shapes and sizes

Real Actors Have Curves(tm)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Hello Tom Hanks about 20 years ago.

Welcome to Philadelphia.

Yep

And Cast Away.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There are others that go the other direction put on a lot of muscle. Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson got crazy big for the new Pain and Gain movie coming out. I guess we just expect that from the action stars though.

Mine too!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Hollywood has personal personal trainers and ideticians to help actors/actresses get to a severe loss as healthy as possible. Anne Hathaway did this for th black swan, but she had to do a LOT. Of dancing so it was probably much easier

I thought it was for Les Miserables (Anne Hathaway)? I think Natalie Portman slimmed down a lot for Black Swan.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    What's all the fuss about, Oprah does this all the time!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    What's all the fuss about, Oprah does this all the time!
    I don't think there's any 'fuss' really.....

I just saw the article about this online and was curious what people on a fitness site like this would think about the fact that someone who already has the body most would consider ideal, would make such a drastic transformation.

I know that a lot of actors/actresses have had similar transformations, but quite honestly, I'm a little surprised at how many people think its not a big deal because "a doctor or nutritionist is probably helping him do it in some healthy way", when they'd probably turn around and say that any doctor who encourages extremes like HCG or bariatric surgery has to be a hack. There seems to be an interesting double-standard for famous people vs. regular people.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    actors have put on weight for roles--deniro in raging bull, the guy from always sunny in philadelphia, and renee zelwegger (sp) in those diary movies she did

and aforementioned actors have lost weight

most likely they all have access to nutritionists and dietitians and personal trainers who can help them back to health
  • Strobins05
    Options

Mine too:flowerforyou:
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Tom Hanks, Christian Bale and Curtis Jackson (aka 50 cent) all did it so no I dont think he went to far, pretty sure he is getting paid major $$$ for this :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Its not really commitment to the role unless he actually gives himself AIDS.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Its not really commitment to the role unless he actually gives himself AIDS.
    Imagine if he did that and STILL didn't get the Oscar??? :mad:
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

I've never heard of this movie... but it kinda looks awesome.

great movie!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Actors are really dedicated when it comes down to it... LOL It's ok he'll gain it back in like a few weeks or so. I think they probably hate doing that to themselves, but when they want to do a good role they do it darnit.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think? He's playing an AIDS patient in his next movie and reportedly has lost 30 lbs for the role....

tdy_chat_mccon_121009.video-260x195.jpg

Judging by that photo you posted, I'd say that his depiction of an AIDS patient seems accurate. I have a friend with AIDS and he has always appeared very skinny despite eating like a horse.