Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Tuesday goals:

•Have a really good interview with the company I want to intern for this summer.
    •Get a call back from 2 other companies i'm interested in.
    •Go to all of the exercise classes i'm signed up for this week.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals - get out of this funk I'm in. I'm depressed, I don't want to be.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What I learned this summer, I like healthy foods, that is amazing to me. Got home late one night last week and didn't have time to cook and actually felt sad about eating out. I like doing my strength/resistance training. I learned I still don't like regular exercise but I am doing more general activities instead of sitting on my bum all evening, I cook, wash dishes, wash clothes, etc. I load and unload the car on the day of face painting jobs instead of weeks later or a year later, lol! I learned I am becoming more and more excited about having a life again and not just exsisting. I look forward to nsv's regularly. (I went to a clothes store last Sat. night to buy a new sweater and the clerk said, "hey I remember you, didn't you used to just come in and sit in a chair?" yup that was me, now I was moving around the whole time and sometimes not only carrying my purse but my daughter's purse too)

Life is good with less weight and I finally feel like I am truly making a lifestyle change. I do need to do more exercise but I am doing 1-3 times a week and for someone who could barely move 10 months ago and walked only with a cane it is amazing progress.

Love you all even tho I rarely post, I read.

Rebecca
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    What I learned this summer is that even if I'm exercising a lot, I really need to eat much cleaner if I want to lose weight. I got so used to being able to just stay under my calorie allowance and drop weight, that I ignored what kind of food I was putting in my body. The result was very little lbs. dropped over the summer. Now, with just a week of watching carbs, I've seen a drop which leads me to believe that if I watch my macros, I will see more progress.
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'd like to propose a discussion:

What did we learn this summer?

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Oh wow- I actually learned a ton this summer. Things I should've known all along.

I think the first and most important thing I learned was what I was doing wrong in the past. I wasn't eating enough calories throughout the day and my body had gone into starvation mode. I looked into what can happen when your body does that and it's not pretty.

I also learned that old habits are damn near impossible to break! It took me time to increase my calorie intake and fix what I was doing wrong. I went from low cal intake to high cal intake and it made me feel sick forcing myself to eat more throughout the day. I did it though and I'm beyond overjoyed that I did- was probably the best thing I could've done for myself and I owe it, at least in part, to everyone in this thread that helped me out when I first posted.

I learned that cutting out junk food is difficult to do, but once you do it successfully, you start to lose the cravings for it (I haven't had a craving for chips or sweets in a while... haven't had a craving for soda in a while either come to think of it).

I also learned that I'm gonna go through a lot trying to lose weight- everything from getting discouraged to being edgy, depressed, not feeling good, overly hyper... and I have to work through it. It's all a process and there's no easy way to do it... and it affects more than the physical aspect of it.

I learned too, that I've grown quite fond of cooking from scratch. I didn't used to like cooking- I loved only baking; the science aspect of the equation. With cooking, everything is to taste- nothing is really measured exactly (IE. Salt and pepper to taste). With baking everything had to be exact- you leave out a teaspoon of yeast in bread, it won't rise right. You don't whip the egg whites enough the cake will be dense. But therein is the beauty of actually cooking- you can make mistakes. Some won't work out... some will. It's an opportunity to play with your food- don't pass it up! lol

I also learned that fresh is actually cheaper than frozen- something I have slowly been able to teach my parents. They sacrificed quality for affordability because they just didn't know better but it's started to change! We're all eating healthier and feeling better for it.

I learned to that the reason I got this way wasn't because of depression, ignorance, or any other reason but excuses. I allowed myself to become this way and only I can take the steps necessary to fix it.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am capable of maintaining the weight that I have lost. I also learned that if I want to lose more weight then I need to step up my level of intensity during exercise and watch my carb level. It was very easy to fall back into old habits and not worry about what I was eating. I am still struggling with watching what I eat and how many carbs I eat. It is to easy for me to eat a piece of candy or some other treat. I am happy that I have maintained my weight loss but I still have more to go.

Baggy clothes- most of the clothes I wear have elastic waist bands so they don't fall all the way down. However, they need to be pulled up often. I thought about having some clothes altered but then found out the alternations would cost more than a new pair of pants. I will wear the clothes until my co-workers tell me to find something else- LOL. I am good about shopping now and I need to focus on trying on smaller sizes to make sure I am not settling for the size I think I am. I am getting better at donating my clothes.

Rebecca you are doing a great job. Keep working and going forward.

Goal to have more patience with my father. Last night, he fell again:mad: :explode: . My dad is 81 years old and has trouble moving at times and his balance is bad. He knows that he is not suppose to walk backwards but he did it last night while he was in his bedroom. We heard him say OH NOOOOOOO then the thud. We rush into the room and he is on the floor, flat on his back. He was okay but we had to call the fire department to come help him up. I was so frustrated with him last night that all I wanted to do was cry. The fire fighters were great with him. It is to the point were I am starting to recognize the men who come to help. This was the 2nd time in 2 weeks that we have had to call them. I just wish he would learn to follow the rules and not walk backwards or leave his cane somewhere or say I thought I could (this statement leads to something bad). Needless to say, I did not sleep well last night since I was waiting for the next call for help. I love my dad dearly but he can be very frustrating at time. My mom is a angel in dealing with him.

Today, I am dragging and resting tonight. In hopes that I will sleep better tonight.

Well, it is official, I will be traveling to Portland, OR the first week in Nov. around the 5th to the 10th. Does anyone from Portland want to meet face to face?

Have a great day.
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals:

~ Get all grades completed and posted.
    ~ Log food into MFP.
    ~ Keep on keeping on.

Things I learned this summer:

~ There were several things that I learned but I think the most important thing was that I can control my eating and my weight. I can also inspire others to do the same. It has been so amazing to see how my running and my change in diet has been affecting other people. I also learned that there will always be people who are not supportive of you no matter what you do. I think that has been the hardest pill to swallow.
    ~ I also learned that MFP is full of people just like me and that they are all willing to give great advice and be supportive. Finding this thread has been amazing. I feel so uplifted when I read everyone's posts and get excited to see when someone has responded to mine. :)

I hope everyone has had a great day. Mine was good. We revealed who we were to our secret pals today and then I got to go play with my sweet Jo-Jo (my friends baby) before coming home to watch Criminal Minds and grade papers. Looking forward to this weekend so I can go to the fair and then go see my check in pal. :)

Have a great night all!

~ Jana
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Today was volunteer day-- so lots of walking and 2 walks with Bella today helps because I ate a lot.

This spring/summer I learn what a real serving looks like. I learn that in the past what i thought was a serving say of rice may really have been like 3 servings, i would eat like that all the time so I learn what a true serving is and that i am ok with it. Also that i like salads , fruit fresh veggies etc. I also am learning maybe that though i am trying to use normal foods if i have calories allow i'd eat it that i'd be healthier if i eat closer to the root less process foods.

I also learn that walking/or swimming daily is important for my physical and mental. Also the importance of journaling my food intake and being part of threads like this are extremely important. Last but not least you are never too old to change.

Liz
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I joined the Fitness Club today!!! In addition to exercise equipment, it has a pool with a current (called a TURTTLE pool). The pool has an exterior oval track with a current for water walking and swimming and an interior pool with warmer water for exercise. There are only ten of them in the United States, so I am lucky. My Tuesday goal is to exercise a minimum of four times a week. Hopefully, this will help get the scale moving again.

This summer, I learned I like fresh tomatoes. I used to abhor tomatoes, so I thought. Now I can't eat a salad without them!
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Today was volunteer day-- so lots of walking and 2 walks with Bella today helps because I ate a lot.

This spring/summer I learn what a real serving looks like. I learn that in the past what i thought was a serving say of rice may really have been like 3 servings, i would eat like that all the time so I learn what a true serving is and that i am ok with it. Also that i like salads , fruit fresh veggies etc. I also am learning maybe that though i am trying to use normal foods if i have calories allow i'd eat it that i'd be healthier if i eat closer to the root less process foods.

I also learn that walking/or swimming daily is important for my physical and mental. Also the importance of journaling my food intake and being part of threads like this are extremely important. Last but not least you are never too old to change.

Liz
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Liz
    s

Liz, I love your last sentence! At 62 I am finding I can and am changing and I love it. Here's to continued growth:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,114 Member
    Options
    Toots - sorry your not in the writing contest any more. Darn it! That's a shame -especially to be complimented on your work as they reject you too!

yeah, i had another judge contact me and tell me how mad she was and how well i'd been doing before they DQ'd me. that i'd been very high in the rankings. oh well. like i said, i guess i should work on my reading comprehension next :laugh:

And maybe they should have someone to contact with questions when the instructions are not crystal clear.

<sorry>
    :sad: :sad:

probably. it's really all good though. the prize was just that they pay your entrance fee into ANOTHER contest :laugh: really i was most interested in knowing what the response to this particular book would be. and now i've had a few confirmations that it's positive so i'm going to start querying once i hear back from the agent that already has it. so that's a good enough reward for me. :)

Toots - good attitude! Sounds like an excellent plan. WIshing you all success.

Lin
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I :heart: reading what everyone learned this summer--great discussion idea Robin!

@jana--I also love Criminal Minds--Spencer Reed is my favorite character.

I managed to not replace the carbs I saved eating the shiritaki noodles with a bunch of empty sugary snacks. I did have a small bit of a chocolate chip cookie cake at lunch, but instead of eating more during my 9th hour open, I ate some grapes instead. Hope to do even better tomorrow.

It's kind of rainy, yucky weather tonight. I hope it clears up tomorrow for my afternoon run.

I had to change my exercise plan for Saturday. I almost forgot I'm doing a 5k. I know a few of you might remember Brian (BV1980) who used to post in this thread--he and I are walking it together.

Exercise plan:
    Mon--walk dog DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--walk dog DONE + core DONE
    Wed--long run outside
    Thurs--walk dog + core
    Fri--walk dog
    Sat--5k + walk dog + core
    Sun--walk dog + gym or long run outside
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,114 Member
    Options
    What I learned this summer:

Summer is shorter than you think as is life in general..............

No matter what I do to spinach or kale---it is STILL SPINACH AND KALE and I still detest them both!

Even if I never make my goal weight I can continue to improve my fitness and health which is valuable.

Life is indeed better with friends and with support. (THANKS!!)

Lin
    :heart:
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello again. I am having a nicely productive day. Got a lot of housework done, and made some soup and brownies to take to a friend of mine who just had a baby. I then spent the most important hour of the day cuddling the baby. She is just three days old and tiny and perfect. I keep telling myself that I will have grandkids to play with in five or so years. Hopefully not sooner. I want my kids to enjoy their early twentys not following in my footsteps and being parnts already. I actuallu logged some of the housework as exercise. I almost never do that but I was working pretty hard so I put down half of the time I was doing the most strenuous part. I think the biggest thing I learned this summer was that it is ok to live my lefe for myself instead of everyone else. Not to say my family isnt still the center of my universe but I now realize I cant do everything for them and make them perfectly happy with me all the time. I think this is partly what has made this time easier in some ways then in the past when I have tried this. I am not worried about what everyone thinks or that I might disappoint them. This journey is totally about me and no one else. I hope everyone has a great night and I will see you all tomorrow.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling. Had so much on my mind I got up at 4:30 am this morning and put the finishing touches on the taxes. They have now been filed except for the state which is sitting on my mantle waiting for a check I deposited Friday after 2 to post. I am more organized for next year and should not have to file a late return next year. Getting quickbooks and having an accountant set it up for me was worth every penny I spent.
    Most importantly, I organized by return for next year so it will be much easier.
    . My ex daughter-in-law called and said she wanted the baby tomorrow. Her sister is going to help her. She really misses her. I love my great grand daughter but caring for a two year old has left me totally exhausted, so I am happy that she is visiting her mother tomorrow.
    I will drive out of town to get pansies and try to get them planted before I leave for vacation on the 15th. I also need to get a manicure and my hair done. Will try to do all that tomorrow
    My goal is to get my motivation back and get out of the funk I have been in the past few days. Bill bought potato chips and I have raided them a few times. He says I should be strong, but
    What I have learned in just the past few weeks, is that this journey can't be done overnight and it will take constant vigilance on my part. I have learned to ask for help when I need it. I have learned that I have to move my body and I am beginning to learn that no matter how wise my food choices, I must control my portions and not eat like it is my last meal. I am learning that I eat for many reasons other than hunger and hope to learn ways to make different decisions when my mind tells me to eat.

Robin. I'm sorry you have been in such pain.
    Is that the same as poly arthritis, which is what I was diagnosed with? It's different types of arthrities rolled into one and can be very trying. I use massage, chiropractic, have taken Enbrel in the past. I also take vitamins, minerals and hot baths. Plus Tiger Balm.

Celtic - Congrats on the pound. Great idea about the savings.

MyMowmow - I always enjoy your posts so much. You seem so wise and you definitely have the weight loss experience. Sorry about your stress levels. Sounds like you are coping as well as anyone could.

SkinnyJeans - Your post reminded me of a few years back when I bought three nice pantsuits, gained and gave them to my sister, who gained and gave them back to me because I had lost. We did three
    total exchanged before we both gained out of the outfits. It is nice to have someone to trade clothes with

Kris1085 - Good Amish food. There is no better. You can stay on plan with all that walking and the large variety of veggies they serve

kah 68 - Good job keeping up with your goals

Bohemian - Don't worry about the pace, you re winning the race. Enjoy your weekend and have a wonderful time.

JTCONST - I think your attitude is great. This is what will make you succeed. When on a plane, put on your oxygen mask first so you can save others. Taking care of your self and your needs is just as important as taking care of everyone elses. Good going

Linder - Those words of wisdom are ones we all need to ponder. You are really deep
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Toots - sorry your not in the writing contest any more. Darn it! That's a shame -especially to be complimented on your work as they reject you too!

yeah, i had another judge contact me and tell me how mad she was and how well i'd been doing before they DQ'd me. that i'd been very high in the rankings. oh well. like i said, i guess i should work on my reading comprehension next :laugh:

And maybe they should have someone to contact with questions when the instructions are not crystal clear.

<sorry>
    :sad: :sad:

probably. it's really all good though. the prize was just that they pay your entrance fee into ANOTHER contest :laugh: really i was most interested in knowing what the response to this particular book would be. and now i've had a few confirmations that it's positive so i'm going to start querying once i hear back from the agent that already has it. so that's a good enough reward for me. :)

Toots - good attitude! Sounds like an excellent plan. WIshing you all success.

Lin

• ohpampered1
    ohpampered1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjean- I wish I could get some hand-me-downs. I learned today at work, that I need to buy a belt, I almost lost my jeans! :blushing: I weigh in tomorrow.

@MyM0wM0w- I hope everything will work out soon, and that you will not have so much stress anymore. :heart:

@Lauriek70- Sorry to hear about your dad, I'm glad he was OK from the fall. My grandmother is dealing with a lot of the same issues but she is 96, she keeps telling all of us if I can't live my life the way I want to, than I want to die....It must be so hard to get old and have to depend on others all the time.

What I have learned this summer is, I want a do over! I was so depressed I hardly left the house, and ate my way through the day and yes that made everything worst. I look back now and say, that will never happen again. I want to get fit and start having fun. I'm on the right track now. One of the big reasons is all of you! :bigsmile:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    In retrospect, I think that I learned that its awfully easy to put on 5# while taking care of family. There were quite a few big changes in the family this summer, and some of them made some permanent changes in my life as well. They were all good, but I was caught up in the action. I think that I have learned or relearned more in the last 3 weeks since I rejoined MFP. I have successfully lost a lot of weight several times, so I am not bigger than a football player because I don't know better. I just need to focus on my health. With your help, I hope I can make it stick this time.
  • lmackbethl
    Options
    My newest goal is to lose at least a pound a week through the end of the year, which will put me at (very) slightly under 300 pounds! To achieve that, my Tuesday goal is to stay under calories all week. This summer, I have learned that I am stronger and more capable than I thought I was and that it is better to have accompaniment in this process than to go it alone -- so thanks to all of you!