Do you get along with your inlaws........

Options

Replies

• AmandaK192
    Options
    ummmm, no. Tried for about 5 years and then realized it was never going to work. They are, however, fabulous with my kids - that is, when they take the time to actually see them. Not very frequently.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Not really. My husband doesn't speak to his father and his family because they didn't like me (they are big into women folk doing women folk things and men being treating like kings -- and insisted I was wasn't friendly enough). His mother and her family are ok -- they really, really get on my last nerve every single time I see them (6 times a year or so) but I try hard to not let that show since I know they have good hearts -- and for my husband's sake since he was willing to cut the people who were just nasty.

It was a big shift from my ex fiance's family, who I adored and who loved me in return.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I just lost my Mom August 1st of this year and I was very close to her. It made my MIL very jealous to which she even made some comments to in the beginning of my marriage...

Now for my husbands SIL and his brother...I like them, but the less I see of them, the better....
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My MIL and FIL are wonderful and I love them very much!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    No married (by choice), but they might as well be my in laws. I love them, they are great people. And thankfully, my parents get along with Matty....to the point that they call just to check up on him.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can take them in doses lol I love them but my family we are open, and like to have fun. His family is VERY competitive and if they are hurt by one of them they never talk. So they lack in Communication too! So it's different than mine, but I do love them.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ugh, mine are so frustrating! I've known them for 15 years and in that time, they go long periods of time without contacting us at all (which is fine). But then they contact us a lot trying to make tons of plans - and then they cancel or just flat out don't show up. It didn't bother me too much until my husband and I had a child, who is now six and realizes that her grandparents are ditching her. We have gotten to the point where we don't tell her until the absolute last minute that we have plans with them but they have still found ways to screw this up. It's gotten to the point where my husband finally told them six months ago that she gets too upset when they cancel so he wasn't going to make plans with them for awhile. This happened after they were supposed to pick her up for a sleep over and never showed up. when my husband called a half an hour after they were supposed to come (and my daughter was all packed and ready to go) they said oh, sorry, too tired. but they do everything for my sister in law, which is so frustrating!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I adore my future in laws.

I still adore my ex in laws.
  • LoveMy3Boys605
    LoveMy3Boys605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like my in-laws, they respect our family and are there when we need them (usually). We get along...However my family hates them!! Every time I mention them to my mom she rolls her eyes and cringes. It makes family events very difficult. There was a time when I didn't like my in-laws, but we all got passed it and moved on. My mom does not know how to let go...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I try to get along or I'd be homeless.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    In my first marriage, I did not get along with them. Looking back, it was mostly my fault so it's no wonder our marriage didn't work out. Now that I'm older and wiser, I've realized we have to do things to keep the peace for the people we love. If your in-laws drive you crazy just grin and bear it. Have a glass of wine or shotgun a beer before you visit them LOL. And just be glad you don't have to be around them 24/7.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My ex MIL was VERY passive aggressive and we were living with her for two years. (Just about to move out on our own when SO got laid off during recession, fun times). Talk about bad circumstances. Nice lady half the time...
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I love mine! DH jokes that they like me better than him. They are always there when we need them.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nope. My MIL is bi-polar, so I never know if I'm going to get happy, fun MIL or "I don't think you like me very much" whiny MIL or "Everything you say offends me and I'm going to stop speaking to you for 6 months" angry MIL. Therefore, I dread talking to her.

OMG...I think we have the SAME MIL!!!!!!!! ;)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    1 Yes.. He is here every week!
    1 Sorta.. She lives 800 miles away and is afraid to drive! :drinker:
  • embercakez
    Options
    I get along great with my Future In-Laws. They treat me just like a daughter. I love them as much as I do my own blood. I feel like I lucked up.
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The first time I met my MIL she said, "You're an adult and I figure if you want my opinion you'll ask for it." I knew then that we were going to get along just fine.

I actually get along with my ex-MIL better now than when I was married to her son. And get this... my *current* husband and my *ex-MIL* get along great. Go figure.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    I still keep in touch with my Ex boyfriend's family. His younger sister and her kids specifically. I'm more of an aunt to those kids than he is an uncle.

I haven't spoken to his parents in nearly a year. Don't get me wrong, I still love them but because I ended the relationship, their son is innocent (yea right) and I'm sure he continues to tell them I'm evil.

He has two sisters in New York that I say hello to on Facebook. I visit his sister-in-law every few months. She lost her husband to a heart attack 2 years ago. That family abandoned her and the kids once their brother/son was gone.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    HATE every last one of them. They should have been the poster people for forced sterilization. I've never seen so many fktards all wrapped up into one last name as I have the in-laws. I thank the goddess my son is gay and stopping that line right there. He's the last male to be able to carry on that name and I think he should get some kind of award for not doing it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!

We stopped inviting my MIL to our home for the holiday dinners because of her constant complaining that I make nothing but healthy food. She will sit there and degrade me, my cooking, and her son hates having to remind her of her rudeness all the time. He got fed up with her real quick and told her "We both worked very hard to provide Thanksgiving dinner so even YOU with Diabetes and High cholesterol could enjoy a meal that even your CARDIOLOGIST would love - you either be thankful for the invitation and enjoy dinner with family, or you can leave!".... I was very proud of my husband for standing up for me.. because I just walked away from the table to do the dishes to get my anger out that way.

I stopped visiting with MY Mother because of her extremely bad smoking habit - I am extremely allergic to smoking. Her home is layered with so much tar and cigarette smoke you can smell it from outside the door. She is a very bitter and nasty woman, a power food pusher - she will guilt you to death if you dont have literally everything she provided (I cant eat her cooking ...too many allergies).. and she takes great offense if you dont side with her on every decision she makes when she decides to try every latest pill or elixir for weight loss. She is a cardiac patient taking 12 different medications and willingly drinks alcohol regardless of the the contraindications... she is toxic living in a toxic environment. My husband's asthma is significantly impacted by her smoking, the animal hair from her cats (he is allergic to cats to begin with)... Im not a fan of putting up with her negativity... she does the very same thing that her own mother does to her.. but she doesnt see it... its infectious...

We deal with alot of toxic elements of our line of work... so the last thing we want to put up with is toxic coming from our families.