Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • alieghkay
    Options
    I am new to fitness pal. I started about two weeks ago and i have lost around 3lbs. I wondering If you have any advice on how to jump start the weight loss? I feel like im losing really slow. I am 5'3 and i weight 164.0lb as of today. I have changed my eating habits. cut out all fried food and don't go through the drive through at all! So no more fast food. I have been eating more frutis/veggies and try to incorporate them into my meals. I eat breakfast everyday also. I work a 8-5 job and when i get home its almost 6. I usually exercise 30minutes everyday. Either I walk for 30 minutes or if i jog its 20minutes. Should I exercise longer? Please help me!! thanks!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see your posts on here. I am 33 years old and have 29% body fat i weigh 158 and am 5'2" . I recently started Jillian michaels 30 day shred and i try to swim daily ( i live in florida and have a in ground pool in my yard) I'm a recent relocator from ohio so i will continue to swim as the months get "cooler" here. I also try to do Zumba at least 3X a week. My question is what should my calorie intake be to lose about 30lbs and what should my precentages for carbs fat and protein be. I have tried to look this up but i keep getting different answers and I just want to be healthy. Im hypoglycemic and when i was thinner i didnt have any of the sugar issues that run in my family. My doctor told me before i moved that I would most likely lose the sugar issues once i lose the weight since the sugar in my family is all related to weight issues. Thanks again sorry for rambling :)

Let MFP determine your calorie value and then I would put carbs and protein at 35% and fat at 30%.
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    hi
    i am 5.3 weight 161 f age 30
    for the last nine months i been trying to lose 20Ib
    i lose five than i gain it back
    i did atkins 17Dd and hcg
    and whatever i use i gain back
    im lost i don,t know what to do
    to lose those 20Ib
    now im doing 1500 calories walk on treadmill 40 minutes 3.5 speed
    my menu
    breakfast
    1/2 oats with cup skim milk
    s
    shake
    lunch
    tuna with 1/2 whole wheat pita
    spring mix olives
    dinner
    1/2 brown rice
    mix vaggies
    chicken breast
    s
    plain greek yogurt
    6 to 8 water
    please any advice
    thank you for your time
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    hi
    i am 5.3 weight 161 f age 30
    for the last nine months i been trying to lose 20Ib
    i lose five than i gain it back
    i did atkins 17Dd and hcg
    and whatever i use i gain back
    im lost i don,t know what to do
    to lose those 20Ib
    now im doing 1500 calories walk on treadmill 40 minutes 3.5 speed
    my menu
    breakfast
    1/2 oats with cup skim milk
    s
    shake
    lunch
    tuna with 1/2 whole wheat pita
    spring mix olives
    dinner
    1/2 brown rice
    mix vaggies
    chicken breast
    s
    plain greek yogurt
    6 to 8 water
    please any advice
    thank you for your time

Based on what you told me, I'm going to say that your issue is not with the plan you're on, it's with the compliance. You have to stick with it. The MFP is great for that because it lets you choose any foods you want, it just counts calories. If you have trouble staying disciplined on your own, then look into hiring a trainer or a RD to help coach you.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this.

I am a vegetarian looking at going vegan. I try to limit my "fake meats", and would really like to cut out dairy, especially milk.

My question is, what are your thoughts on Soy Milk (Organic, Non-GM). I've read tons and tons on the subject, some saying to much soy is bad, some saying to get to much soy is almost impossible. Not knowing a ton about nutrition, I find it hard to decipher between fact and opinion and was hoping you would give me a dietitians opinion.
  • alieghkay
    Options
    I am new to fitness pal. I started about two weeks ago and i have lost around 3lbs. I wondering If you have any advice on how to jump start the weight loss? I feel like im losing really slow. I am 5'3 and i weight 164.0lb as of today. I have changed my eating habits. cut out all fried food and don't go through the drive through at all! So no more fast food. I have been eating more frutis/veggies and try to incorporate them into my meals. I eat breakfast everyday also. I work a 8-5 job and when i get home its almost 6. I usually exercise 30minutes everyday. Either I walk for 30 minutes or if i jog its 20minutes. Should I exercise longer? Please help me!! thanks!
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    thanks alot i will do this for sure
    but dose mymenu look okay to lose weight
    :)
  • abhishek2610
    abhishek2610 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dear for your sincere advice .

On recent weight Lost 57 lbs.I want to go to gym for weight training & strength training .as I am doing morning walk for 35-75 min in morning.

Since I am diabetic would It be a better to go ahead with plans .secondly I feel little low energy level in afternoon.

Please suggest how to go about .

Again thanks for you

Abhishek:smile:
  • abhishek2610
    abhishek2610 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dear for your sincere advice .

On recent weight Lost 57 lbs.I want to go to gym for weight training & strength training .as I am doing morning walk for 35-75 min in morning.

Since I am diabetic would It be a better to go ahead with plans .secondly I feel little low energy level in afternoon.

Please suggest how to go about .

Again thanks for you

Abhishek:smile:
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I have been told that when I eat too little, my body goes into "starvation mode" to protect itself, and that it will slow down my weight loss and metabolism. Is this true or is "starvation mode" just a myth? I have read to absolutely NOT eat less than 1 200 calories per day to prevent "starvation mode". Is this correct?

I am currently trying to figure out a healthy caloric intake. I am female, 5'9'' tall and weigh 169lbs. My goal is 145lbs with a weight loss of 2lbs a week. MFP puts me at eating about 1200 calories a day. Is that too few calories?? I don't want to slow my metabolism or have my body go into "starvation mode"!

Your thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Nina :)
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

3 pounds in 2 weeks is really good! It doesn't come off fast. You just have to be consistent. If you start to plateau, cut your calories by about 10%-20%.
  • JillzEKG
    Options
    Hello! I am wondering when we d the set up in the beginning...how many steps a day qualifies you as lightly active and how many qualifies you as active?
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Hi!! I have been told that when I eat too little, my body goes into "starvation mode" to protect itself, and that it will slow down my weight loss and metabolism. Is this true or is "starvation mode" just a myth? I have read to absolutely NOT eat less than 1 200 calories per day to prevent "starvation mode". Is this correct?

I am currently trying to figure out a healthy caloric intake. I am female, 5'9'' tall and weigh 169lbs. My goal is 145lbs with a weight loss of 2lbs a week. MFP puts me at eating about 1200 calories a day. Is that too few calories?? I don't want to slow my metabolism or have my body go into "starvation mode"!

Your thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Nina :)

THIS. But I am 5 foot 8 inches, and 177, looking to go down to 145-140. I would like to know the same thing she asked. I also do hard elliptical sessions (level 8 of 10 intervals sometimes, mountain setting sometimes... I really push it so it is hard to walk afterwards- HR around 75-85% MHR), 40 min at least 5 times a week. I also do weight lifting- multiple sets to muscle exhaustion about 3x a week.
    I have been hungry and tired lately, (and am eating low carb, as well as 1200 cals), so I am wondering if I could be eating more, feeling better and losing as much. I have awesome willpower once I set my mind to something. :)

Thank you in advance!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Thanks for offering your advice.

My stats: 177lbs, 30% body fat, 5’7”, 25 years old

I have been focusing on weights recently and I am loving the results. I plan on slowly loosing another 25-30 lbs, but am in no rush.

Right now I lift heavy 3 times per week (stronglifts 5x5), small amounts of cardio after lifting (20 minutes), and long walks with the dogs three days a week and one rest day. I eat a decent amount of food (1800 calories a day and do not eat exercise calories and eat 2000-2500 on weekends).

This has let me maintain the past few months, but eventually I will want to lose weight again. The problem is that even eating 1800 a day, I am starving. I aim for 4-5 servings of green veggies, usually have 140g of protein a day and around 90oz of water. How can I make it so I am not miserableif I cut it down to 1600 a day?
  • tytaniafairy
    Options
    Hi . I just recently found out I have a fatty liver . What is the best diet and excercise routine for this . The Dr said it is reversible. He said it was caused by obesity and carbs . So he said I have to cut them. I'm sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't want to die from this problem ....
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi . I just recently found out I have a fatty liver . What is the best diet and excercise routine for this . The Dr said it is reversible. He said it was caused by obesity and carbs . So he said I have to cut them. I'm sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't want to die from this problem ....

Well then you came to the right place. MFP is a great website and if you keep logging your food, you are doing the best thing you can to lose weight. There is no "best" cookie cutter plan. The best plan is the one that you'll do and you enjoy doing.
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump. must read later. :)
  • strongershell
    Options
    bump