WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just checking in after skimming through pages of posts. It's been another crazy week at work -- worked late Monday and tonight until after 8p, then need to be back ~ 8a. Oy! Just can't seem to catch up and the piles are getting higher. It is a blessing to have the business, but we don't have enough hands to do all the work. We did go out to lunch today and, silly me, I decided to have a burger which was more than my day's allotment. Tomorrow is another day - thank goodness!! I need to drink a lot of water tonight.

For any of those dealing with someone with dementia, what were the first things you noticed or picked up on in their behavior?

Thanks!
    Gail
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    LadyBeryl,
    Where did you find 50 calorie corn tortillas??? What brand are they?

Polly
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is in the early stages of dementia. The biggest noticable thing she has started doing is changing languages mid sentence. She'll be speaking English then suddenly convert to German. Well she sees the puzzled look on those who don't speak German, she starts laughing because she knows that she does this. And now the phone has become difficult for her to use.
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    About Dementia:
    the first thing I started to notice with my Mom was ( and she was always an awesome cook) she would forget what to include in the simplest recipe that she had been doing for years. Dementia is very hard on everyone, including the person afflicted with it. It's not like they wake up one day and can't remember "anything" it is cruel and takes their memory slowly so that they are aware of something happening, but can't do anything about it. (which is why, I think, they get defensive etc.) Enough said...I guess...

Cathy
  • sus06
    sus06 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to fitnesspal and any thoughts
    or suggestions will be appreciated!
    Sounds like an awesome group.
    Susan
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Glenda & Deborah, I'd be happy to share! :smile:

Chile Verde Recipe

An easy, delicious! Mexican recipe for pork filling or stew

2 -3 pounds cubed pork stew meat (I used leftover pork roast, so skipped the searing part, below)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 large yellow onion
    5 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano, or regular
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth
    4 fresh poblano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1-1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos, husks removed, halved, and roasted, cut side down under broiler 5-7 mins (It's not necessary to roast the tomatillos, but it gives a better flavor!)
    1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

1. In a large stock pot, over high heat, sear the pork in the oil until golden brown. Remove the pork from the pot, reserve oil in the pan.

2. Cook the chopped onion and garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper, in the reserved oil until onions are tender.

3. Add spices, then stir in pork and chicken stock. Simmer for 1/2 hour, or put in crockpot.

4. Stir in poblanos, jalapenos and bell peppers.

5. Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender, and add them to the pot. Cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes.

(I put everything in the crockpot on Low for 6 hrs)

Serves 10.- 12
    Per 1 cup Serving:
    Approx. 176 cal, 5 fiber, 48 chol, 14 protein, 148 sodium, 418 potassium

Serve with corn tortilla, or rice, dollop of light sour cream, a bit of grated cheese, a heap of chopped lettuce and a diced tomato. :love:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    While we were at senior bowling, the guys came here and "fixed" the fence. Their way of "fixing" it? Bend the post so that the latch meets. Well, it's totally and completely unacceptable, not even level. So now it looks like two posts will have to be replaced. Also, Vince looked at the piece of fence, it seems they took off this screw, bent the post, put the screw back on. Only now the hole where the first screw went in is totally showing.

After we watered about 1/2 the lawn, we saw that they also installed the one piece of fencing they were short. Only it isn't level. Looks very weird. Now, since it's on one side of the garage and won't be seen much, we plan to tell them that basically we can get a credit for the extra piece of fence that they had to order (in other words, we won't pay for it) or we want this repaired. The ground is level there so there's no reason why the fence wouldn't be level. Vince sent an email to the owner of the pool company telling him that whenever they come to do any repairs, we want to be informed so that we are home. The owner is supposed to be here tomorrow, I know that Vince plans to show him the poor workmanship.

The guy in charge of the pool install called late last night, said that they won't be here to do the tile until Thurs so we should go and do what we need to. Which is why we went to senior bowling. I just can't believe that that guy who "repaired" the fence didn't think we'd notice!

Welcome Mary, yoyoung, Delana

About DWTS: Fortunately, they played the dances right before the big elimination. I'm not real happy about the elimination. I think the judge's scores should count for more than they do. The judges are the experts, not us. So many times I've seen a dance and thought "wow, that's great" and then the judges rip it apart. Other times I've thought "yuk, that's terrible" and the judges loved it!

Today was pretty busy. Got up, did an hour of incline intervals, then home to grab something to eat, then the Newcomers general meeting, left the meeting asap because had to go to the bank (can't deposit a check that large at the ATM), give Loki his med, go to bowling, came home and watered. Found out that to water the entire backyard we need to start around 3. So for the next few days we'll just feed the cats earlier (not that they'll object) and then water.

Tdaughtersmom - I don't think you're selfish at all

Jane - happy birthday to your daughter

Swissmiss - happy birthday to YOUR daughter

Cathy - how did you make the kale chips?

Will do a Jillian Michaels Power Sculpt DVD tomorrow. I'll be home for when they put in the tile (also, to hear Vince tell the guy about the fence)

Nancy - have you ever tried the stuff "after bite"? We first used it a few years ago when we were camping, we got real bit up by mosquitos. It's really just ammonia, but does it work to relieve the itching! If the cut is open, it'll sting like the ****ens for a few seconds, but then it won't itch any more. Congrats on having to buy new clothes!

wheatcraft - there's this stuff called "Ivy Block". Its a lotion you put on before you are exposed to poinon ivy. It really does work. You just have to be sure to wash it off as soon as you can.

Laura - Vince tells about a friend of his who got drafted (at the time of the Vietnam war). Unfortunately, he HAD to spend his entire tour of duty in Hawaii playing the drums. Life sometimes can be so hard, huh? Loved reading about your son, you have a lot to be proud of.

Yikes! Look at the time. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou: The best thing I know to deal with the time between lunch and dinner is to plan a snack for that time.

:flowerforyou: TDEE is total daily energy expenditure…..here is a link about it.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Glenda, I lost weight eating back most of my exercise calories and making sure that all my calories were nutrient dense

:flowerforyou: Meg, the original Black Bear Diner was in Mount Shasta, California…….there are all sorts of bear carvings and cute bear sayings and bear pictures on the wall…..the food is probably a lot like Applebee’s or some other fancy coffee shop…too much food and too much breaded and fried stuff for my taste, but a very cute setting.

:grumble: Michele, I was disappointed in the DWTS elimination last night.

:flowerforyou: Jake’s doctor visit resulted in no clear diagnosis yet. He got an x-ray but he can’t get an MRI because he has an implanted defibrillator so now he is scheduled for a special x ray where they squirt a colored liquid into his shoulder to see more about what the damage is…..someone will call to schedule the test so we won’t know anything for awhile.

:bigsmile: Today is Jake’s birthday so after the doctor appointment I took him to the Vietnamese restaurant for dinner….I had been dancing all day so I burned a lot of calories----regular line dance class in the morning (I got to teach one new dance) and then in the afternoon I taught the whole class for my friend so she could visit relatives out of state (I’ll be teaching her two classes each week for three weeks).

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for October
    *yoga once a week
    *walk with hubby three times a week
    *say “OK”---be agreeable
    *stay in the moment
    *Be Barbie
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well, after being away for 5 days and seeing the number of posts, I’m not even going to try to catch up.

That being said, JB your Chile Verde recipe looks great, will have to try that.

Thanksgiving wasn’t so bad, not a turkey dinner to be seen – except for the homemade tofurkey that DD and I made on Monday. The stuffing was great, the tofu, meh. Had a lot of fun visiting family, went to a play, spent some time doing sentimental journeys along my old haunts. I really do think I will retire back to Vancouver Island, 4 years and counting.

Also spent some time helping Caitlin (DD) do some organizing for a charity fundraiser. What a lot of work and Martha Stewart I’m not. Wish I was more creative with decorating but hey, it was a good mother/daughter bonding time anyway.

I spent some time shopping as well, got some pants that fit finally (I hate pants that aren’t lined so I’m pretty limited in the stores I shop for them). My sisters donated some nice leather coats to me too, a brown suede jacket, a butter soft full length one and a short jacket with a removable padded liner – BONUS!!! So all in all, the trip to the Coast was great fun, now I’m playing catch up like crazy at work. Must make a point of getting lunch tomorrow. I thought I was starving by the time I got home and almost gave in to the fast food fix (but didn’t).

Have a good evening ladies, and I will do some more reading so that I’m sort of up on everyone’s doings.

Lila
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Today I have spent most of it in bed not feeling good at all I hope to be at work tomorrow. I did take time to catch up on all of the posts really enjoy reading them. I will catchup tomorrow. Take care have a good night!

Liz
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, it is 0054 and I just finished reading all the post and chatting with ya'all.
    I had a busy day but managed to get to the gym before I picked DD up from school. My DD#1 started her menses today and guess what- so did I! Oh ,this is crazy. My DD#2 said Mom you are too old to have periods! I know right! Anyway,so this definitely explains the out of control cravings for sweets last week.. The girls did not do their chores tonight, so , DD#2 said' I have a choice and I will do the dishes in the morning.' I will have to do the litter box tomorrow morning, as DD#1 has school in the morning! Oh well, not a battle I can to engage in! One day they will be on their own and have the natural consequence of having to do everything and clean up for themselves. They have a great life's lesson to learn.
    The latest and greatest news- I deposited the refund from the IRS today!!!!!!!!!!! This is for the 2009 taxes. Amen the nightmare is over and we did not have to hire a lawyer! Thanks to Congressman Duncan Hunters employee Dawn, through her help and persistence the nightmare is over finally. This has been one long haul with the social security administration and the IRS. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I am doing well with food,exercise , now I have to get my water intake up.:drinker: :drinker:
    Goals for Oct - to lose 6 lbs, exercise 4-5 days week, read the happiness project and be loving no matter what!:heart:

Kate- I think your DH wins the prize. Wow, I can just imagine what your house smelled like! I can see the Halloween paintings melting and the smell. The mad hunter was at work brewing his magic deer head potion! I hope you did not have any lingering odor! My DH had to order a huge restaurant size pot from Cabelas. The pot he had was too little. Now he has the head in a huge pot, antlers sticking out and it is boiling away on the back patio. He puts Tide laundry soap in the water so it won’t stink TOO bad. I guess it also bleaches the head too. I won’t even tell you want he has in the garage that he wants to make a table with. I think we need to move to the country and buy some land, so he can be outside and be away from neighbors! Snow already- still in the 80’s here.:noway: :noway:

Faye- nice that you had an awesome trip and lost weight too! Sweet! Don’t show up the guys too bad at the gym! I too love your motivation for wanting to lose weight and be strong and healthy! :drinker: :drinker:

Janie, I am glad that your friend is exercising and more than likely has a positive attitude. Both of these factors will help her in the fight against the breast cancer. It is so nice to have someone who motivates us. :smile:

CSueB- wow that is great 2-5ks in one month! That is a great goal. I used to run races like that and loved it so much. Unfortunately, can’t do that any more. Enjoy every moment and run for me! :drinker: :drinker:

Meg- you and Ginny are doing a great job. Its so nice to have a work out pal! What a funny neighbor you had. He was hanging Rudolph just for you. How cute that he even made a sign for you! Love it! That is a great idea about the monopoly money. I hope it works! Good for you getting your desk cleaned out! Feels good to have the work space clean and ready to go! Are you sure 1+1+2? Lol :laugh: :laugh:

Cathy- glad you are back on track. Have you tried any Velcro with the leg brace? Maybe you need something like a garter ,so you can clip the brace to the garter and it might hold it in place, or at least slipping down? Cathy we love kale chips! :bigsmile:

Rjadams- glad that you are back on track. Maybe you can talk to your Doctor to get your some help with some meds to take the “edge” off while you are weaning off alcohol? Just a thought? Change is a hard thing no matter what we need to change. Praying for you the God will give you the strength you need during this time! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Laura80111- Will be praying that DH can find a full time job. I bet he is loving working in Gander Mountain. That must be a hunting mans paradise! That is certainly not what you wanted to hear from your Mom when you called her for support! I did have to laugh at her statement “ "I always knew that you'd get yours back" My girls we great as toddlers, it’s the teenage years that I can use your Mom’s wise words for them! Congrats on being 0.6 lbs away from your goal! Awesome! Wow, that is an amazing story about your DS. You and your DH did a great job! That is such an inspiring story. How nice to be gifted with music! :flowerforyou:

Scadoody- Welcome to the most wonderful post in the world! :smile:

Michele- I am going to make some chocolate cupcakes with beets. I get beets from our bi-weekly CSA, but have no clue what to do with them. I also gave away 2 eggplants today for the same reason. I liked a dish called –babagau (I don’t know correct spelling) when I was in Egypt. It was a dip ,like humus.. It is hard with picky eaters to make “plain things” sometime. When I read all the work etc that is going on with you pool/back yard it stresses me out and you are the one getting the pool put in. Wow, what a production. :noway: :noway:

Djhobs- oh, how lovely your recent adventure. Nice to have a relative with a nice place you can stay at! You must be refreshed now! Can’t wait for you to share the news about your DS! :bigsmile:

Polly- maybe I missed what math class you are taking, but what are you taking? Always nice when the DH helps out, even nicer when they do it on their own! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Susan-welcome :smile:

Gini- enjoy your trunk ot treat. They do the same thing at the churches here! The kids love it! :laugh: :laugh:

Mary- Welcome!

Wessecg- 8000 more calories out than in, well that is quite a burn and I would think you would have a loss! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :drinker: :drinker:

Kackie, wow that is great that you were able to run for 22 mins. Keep up the good exercise and the eating will fall into place,

Barbie, I am going to have to buy Strong Women Stay Young” and “Younger Next Year for Women. I bought the Happiness Project on THE Kindle, but have not had time to read it yet! Thank you so much for the good reading material and support! Yum to the fresh salmon! I hope Jake has good news re; rotator cuff. :bigsmile:

Yoyoung- welcome!:smile:

DeeDee- you had your chocolate and ate it too! I have gone off like chocolate this year? It is strange, but that is ok with me. I do really like white chocolate though! Lol Cant wait to head the NSV’S! :drinker: :drinker:

Ladyberyl- what is the brand of 50 cal corn tortillas! :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Tdaughtersmom- welcome and no that is not selfish. God gave you another loving mission to do with your grandchildren. No one better to teach them than their Grandmother! Hugs :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Jolene – I hope the swelling in your knees has gone down. Cortisone does that to ones blood sugar. Takes it high than normal. I live through the posts on here too! Hang in there , there is another day to heal and get healthy! Hugs :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Glenda- that must have felt good to purge your closet of the clothes. Shows what a great job you have done, caring for yourself! :bigsmile:

Jane- sounds like you have some good substitutes instead of eating. I have a problem with not being able to sleep, and I get up and eat carbohydrates. They make me sleepy. I do add them into my calorie count. I am trying to break this habit too! I never thought that I would be missing getting a good solid straight 8 hours of sleep. I do miss those days! Hope you had nice Oct birthday celebrations with your loved ones. Keep up the good work, your doing awesome! :wink: :wink:

Swissmiss- get those vacation days in and enjoy the time with your youngst child! :drinker: :drinker:

Liz- sorry you got the crud, hope it goes away fast and you are back up on your feet again! Stay home if you are still sick, care for yourself so that you will bounce back better and stronger. :sick: :sick: :wink: :wink:

M- your fondue sound so yummy. I haven’t eaten that for years. Thanks for the info about eating back the calories! I am busy running around in the time between lunch and dinner. I have been trying to go to the gym about 1 hour before I pick up my kids from school. When I get home I try to prepare dinner before I start work. So, that is how I keep busy. :sad: :sad:

Jb – thank you for the recipe of chili Verde. I love chili Verde. I am gonna make some of that. I have never roasted any veggies, so this will be a new experiment for me! Don’t stress over the scale. Just keep on the right path and you will be seeing what you want on the scale! Thank you so much for this--A boy says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I want to be a musician." The mother replies, "You'll have to decide, son, because you can't do both." This is not really a joke, because the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys!!!! Lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lila- sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving. How nice to have some quality bonding time with your DD. I have been to Vancouver Island once, and I loved it. What a wonderful place to live! :bigsmile:

KathyL – you do have so much going on right now and It is very stressful. Remember to take good care of yourself do you can be there to support your daughter. Having job choices is nice. I think honesty in the job interview is the best way to go. If an employer doesn't support family taking care of their loved ones,for awhile, well would you really want to work for them. Remember there are state and federal laws that you can take time off work to help family. I will be praying for you and your DD.:flowerforyou:

Nancy, how nice to have a cabin on the lake. Sounds like you had a great time. Hope your bug bite/poison ivy-oak is getting better. :sick: :sick:

Lin, it is hard to give up some clothes. It must be the way we grew up. My girls decide they don’t like one of their shirts or pants any more and they think they can just give it away or throw it out. I have 23 huge bags of their clothers/shoes etc that I am keeping for awhile. The clothes are in style and brand names that teenagers like. I told the girls we can sell them at the swap meet and make some Christmas money. Ha,:grumble: :grumble: ha , they just loved the idea of that! NOT!

sweet dreams. may you all have a nurturing day!
    Linda :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Ugh, I'm feeling lousy today, as is DH. We went to visit my cousin in hospital and think we may have picked up a bug (even though we were scrupulous about washing our hands on the way in and out with the anti-bac soap. My poor cousin is really in a bad way with his perforated bowel. He has a stoma with colostomy bag, which may be permanent. At 34, this is not a good thing.

Must try to do some work - although would prefer to go home to my bed!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Surprised this morning when the scale was veeeery slightly down this morning -- even after the high cal / sodium lunch yesterday. All the water afterwards gets the credit.

Thanks, Cathy and Wesscg for the feedback on dementia.

Back to work shortly, though I will leave on time and go to the Y today.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Gail
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! Almost the weekend . . . during which I evidently will be running a 5k. Gah! In a weak moment, I told my husband, who is a runner, that I would go with him if he ran in a race this weekend – so he signed me up! Oh dear. I tried running yesterday and managed to get 2 ½ miles out of 5 in, but I have a really hard time mentally with running for long stretches straight through. Actually, I have a really hard time running period – I don’t like it. I LOVE to walk and could do that all day, but I’m not big on pushing myself outside my comfort zones. This will be interesting. At least I’m in much better shape to run than I ever have been in my life – after yesterday I’m not really sore although need to stretch my calf muscles out a bit. My lungs didn’t ache, which is huge for me. Anyway, wish me well, would you?

Jb, that chile verde sounds delicious! We still have a ton of jalapenos from the garden in the fridge that I need to do something with. I did bottle several jars of hot sauce yesterday – three cayenne, five habanero, and I still have red and green jalapeno to bottle. I’m going to add tomatillos to my things to grow next year. Enjoy the last of your gardening! Ps, I loved the joke. My daughter’s the musician in our family; fortunately, she’s also the one with head square on her shoulders so she’s doing fine as a teacher. Also, good job on getting out there and getting some additional exercise! Ah, V8 – I always forget about that! I’ll try it.

Kathy, gotcha re: your daughter. Good luck with your job(s)! It does sound like a stressful time, and we women are prone to absorbing more of that than is healthy, so try to find an outlet (besides food!). I’ve heard about cherry juice – maybe we can try that with DH’s daughter (she’s having sleep issues too).

Nancy, I do hope you get that rash under control. Congratulations on the new clothes. Word of warning: if you tried them on with your rash, you may need to wash them well before wearing them again. Poison Ivy will contaminate everything. You might need to read up on that.

Kate, good luck with the snow! You poor thing, go get a cuppa tea now.

Laura, Wow – your son is amazing! Good for him for being so able to listen and still follow his passion – a true testament to your parenting skills. Good for all of you.

Gini, LOL at the dog keeping you from tripping on your diet. Have fun decorating that trunk!

Deborah, for the Kale chips you don’t need a lot – they don’t shrink up like it would if you cooked it in a soup or whatever. They are so easy: Toss some (buy a bag of pre-cut kale) in a little olive oil, spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little sea salt or some garlic powder, then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until crisp – you can’t believe how easy and good they are. I think the temp can be about anything – 350, 400 – I’ve done it both ways and it doesn’t much matter. I do delay my noon meal a bit, and yesterday I went out for a run after that (about an hour after, after my teleconference) and it helped a lot. Thanks for the advice!

Glenda, good for you for finding an indoor replacement for biking. Oooh, I love chai – I’ll definitely remember to add that to the evening rep too! According to some theories (OK, a lot of them), eating too low on the calorie scale will hurt you – your body can’t sustain itself over long periods of time with such a deficit (extreme low-calorie eating theories notwithstanding). I agree your tummy shrinks and it’s easier to feel full over time – it’s happened to me too. However, you’ll kick your body into starvation mode (as I’m sure you know). Then when you do eat more, your body will hoard those calories like a cat with nip mice because it’s not sure when it will get more. I’m not going to preach here – I’m not the expert either – but I will say do be careful you don’t overdo it. It’s so easy to get frustrated and just throw in the towel.

Hi, Meg – so glad you had a great day at work. That’s super about your weight loss and place in the competition! Yeah, hot wings are a danger no matter what you do. They put too much butter in the sauce. You might try this instead though: try using coconut oil instead of or in place of some of the butter. It’s still an oil, and it’s still fattening with too much, but it’s a much healthier food. Additionally, DH douses his wings (we bake them too), then puts them back in the oven to bake some more. They’re not quite as saucy, but the fat continues to bake out of the wings so you have a leaner food.

Lin, you always sound like you’re on the run. I hope you get some “me” time too. I’ve been seeing a lot of different pumpkin recipes lately – smoothies, yogurt, puddings – almost in the mood!

DeeDee, I hope you enjoy(ed) your dinner.

Jen, good for you on the biking!

Gail, don’t worry about the burger (how can a burger be more than a whole day’s worth of calories? That should be illegal lol). Just drink your water and get back in your routine with some good veggies. It’s hard to keep a diet under control when you’re stressing about work (and it seems to be going around), but remember you’re doing this for you, but the side benefit will be that you’re more focused on work when you’re there.

My grandfather died of Alzheimer’s several years ago; I was one of the first ones to see him when he was developing (other than my grandmother) – he was doing things that seemed to be an age regression – destroying property, telling stories that had no bearing or purpose, and the biggest one, to us, was a confusion that lead to his breaking away from his life-long church and “starting” his own. It was a difficult time.

Michele, don’t you hate when your workers aren’t willing to do the right thing, even when it’s obvious a cheap fix is going to look cheap? Don’t they have any pride at all? I had to LOL at you saying “today was pretty busy.” Aren’t ALL of your days that way? Thanks for the tip on Ivy Block. I know what it looks like and generally can stay away, but sometimes I have a death wish and just pull it up and then wash up immediately after. I should know better.

Barbie, I do try to plan a snack, but I’m terrible about looking at the healthy snack and deciding I want something else instead ;). Happy birthday to Jake! I love Vietnamese – lemongrass soup is my all-time favorite comfort food.

Lila, we tried a tofurkey before (when DSD was flirting with vegetarianism) – I agree, meh. Honestly, I’m pretty put off by the idea of trying to make veggies taste or look like meat. If I wanted to eat meat, I would. I’m fine with something else, even if it’s not “tradition.” Plus, more stuffing for me! Congrats on the bonus score of the leather coats!

Liz, still wishing you will feel better soon.

Linda, isn’t it funny the way women will all find their cycles coordinated? We had that a lot – and woe to the men in the house ;). Have you read the article/blog from the most recent woman to go on strike when the kids didn’t do their chores? Pretty funny. Congratulations on the tax refund!!! You have been doing well – give yourself a pat on the back for that. Don’t give away your eggplants – make eggplant parmesan!!! It’s sooo good, and the kiddos won’t know it’s healthy ;). There’s a Mediterranean dip called baba ganoush that has eggplant – I have to admit I’m not much of a fan, but I do like eggplant in general.

Amanda, I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. I’m so sorry about your cousin. Very sad.

Gail, don’t you love it when all your hard work pays off and isn’t derailed by a slight side-trip?

Alright, everyone – I hope you all enjoy your days and for those not feeling too well, I hope the bugs scurry on out! Today was a “rest and stretch” day, but I’m probably going out for at least a walk – it’s clear and cool. Did you all see the moon this morning! It’s my favorite – a sliver with a bright planet near it. Love this time of year!

Cheers,

M.
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    WOW...great quotes at the end of your post, thank you! :happy: I am still trying to figure out how to respond to people's posts....it's so great to find a group that I can fit in with. Happy day! Today is my "rest" day from exercise, and it's making me a little nuts... do you or anyone else reading these struggle with rest days? I just don't want to lose my momentum! (but realizing it is necessary and healthier to take SOME rest days) sigh............... I hope everyone has a very good day today! :flowerforyou:
  • Jadsiat
    Jadsiat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also was down at my weigh-in today. 1.5 pounds. Yippee. On the road to making my goal.

Cool day here. Currenty 45 degrees and should get to maybe 55, if we are lucky.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Just checking in after skimming through pages of posts. It's been another crazy week at work -- worked late Monday and tonight until after 8p, then need to be back ~ 8a. Oy! Just can't seem to catch up and the piles are getting higher. It is a blessing to have the business, but we don't have enough hands to do all the work. We did go out to lunch today and, silly me, I decided to have a burger which was more than my day's allotment. Tomorrow is another day - thank goodness!! I need to drink a lot of water tonight.

For any of those dealing with someone with dementia, what were the first things you noticed or picked up on in their behavior?

Thanks!
    Gail

The first thing I noticed with my mom was that she was losing the ability to make decisions. We'd go shopping and she'd buy what I bought (she'd never done that before) and when going out to eat she'd look at the menu and not be able to decide so my dad would order for her. Or some mornings she'd sit on her bed and stare at the closet, unable to decide what clothing to put on. My dad was so frustrated with her he just raged and complained to me all the time. Later she started to say really hurtful things to me, again very atypical. She'd go out in her car to do an errand and wouldn't come home for hours and hours.....

My dad never admmitted she had Alzheimer's. That's my family----never talk about anything meaningful. Just stay silent and keep secrets.

Good luck. Alzheimer's is an insidious disease.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, it's still black as night outside so I can't go walking yet :bigsmile:

Laura, my gosh! Your son is really quite something! Beautiful man, beautiful mom. :flowerforyou: I have a few students that are amazingly talented, it's a joy to have them studying with me. Some people just have "the gift". Thanks for taking the time to write, wow, what a story!

M, how to you make your hot sauce? Habanero, ouch :laugh: I freeze my extra jalapenos, some whole, and some I'll chop first in the food processor and press flat into zip locks. Makes it very easy to break off a little piece to add to recipes. Have you ever made Escabeche? Pickled jalapenos, carrots & onions. I'll be making a few jars soon.

Gini, my vegetable plots at the community garden equal close to 3000 sq.ft.. and then there's about that much space full of flowers at the house. I've created a monster. :wink:

La Tortilla Factory makes 45 calorie Fiber and Flax Corn Tortillas, they are absolutely delicious! Haven't tried the 50 calorie Low Carb, High Fiber yet. Here's some info from the website:

http://www.latortillafactory.com/all-products.aspx

Fiber & Flax Corn Tortillas - Great-tasting, soft and easy to use, our Fiber & Flax Corn Tortillas are the first corn tortillas to include the added health benefits of fiber & flax. Plus they’re packed with five grams of fiber, 200 mgs of Omega-3s, and 20 grams of whole grains. And with only 45 calories per tortilla, they’re a great way to add nutrition to every meal without extra calories. Choose your favorite!
    •Yellow Corn
    •White Corn
    •Multigrain Corn

Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas 50 calories per tortilla. Acclaimed the "One and Only Low Carb Tortilla" and among 125 “Best Foods For Women” these tortillas are perfect for those following a low carb diet, those seeking lower glycemic index foods (such as diabetics), and those simply seeking delicious ways to get more fiber in their diets. With 52% of the recommended daily value of fiber, these tortillas are also low calorie, cholesterol-free, and contain no saturated fats, trans fat or hydrogenated oils. Flavors are available in original whole wheat, large size whole wheat, garlic & herb and green onion.

I'd better scoot. 20 minutes 'til track time. Wishing you all a very good day. :drinker:

:smile: jb
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow it's Thursday already and did anyone notice the date is 10-11-12.:smile: Time does seem to be flying lately, seems like it was just Monday! So many posts just since yesterday! What a great group we are!:flowerforyou: Those of you that aren't feeling well, hope you get better quickly and congrats to those who have posted a loss!

So far so good, started the day with good food choices and determined to log everything and get back on track! At least I've been better about getting all my water in.:drinker: Don't have much time, have to get ready for a job interview and now I have another one that called to schedule a phone interview next week. Family medical leave usually only applies if you have been on the job for a certain amount of time so I think I may stick with temp jobs for now because of the flexibility. Think I'll go to the gym and do some water walking after the interview.

My poor DH didn't get home from work last night until 10:30 (he starts at 5:30 am!) because his work truck broke down and he had to stay with it while it got repaired. At least he didn't have to start til 8 and we got to spend a little time together this morning. Think we will have a very low key weekend so he can recharge.

Have a great day all!

Kathy L.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Whew, circuit class last night was tough. :explode: Tonight curling starts, I'll wear my HRM and see how many calories that burns. I play lead, so I sweep lots. Will still have to go to the gym to lift weights and maintain these biceps, though. :laugh:

Thank you all for your kind comments re the rash on my arms. I think you are right about the poison ivy / poison oak something because it is blistering!:sad: It hasn’t spread any further, though, so I’m counting my blessings. I don’t have an ace bandage to wrap it in, and it sure is hard to resist scratching. I will look for the Aveeno cream.

Celery & hummus as a mid-afternoon snack. :love: Oh yeah.

Laura, you son sounds like a pretty fine fellow! Wish I could sit in on one of his gigs.

Lin, celebrate giving away those clothes that don’t fit you anymore. :flowerforyou: You don’t need baggy hoodies any more.

JB, the Chile Verde recipe sounds great. I am going to have to throw a Mexican Dinner Party so I can make it for everyone.

Hi Lila, sounds like Vancouver Island was blissful, including sister time, daughter time and new clothes.

Take care, Liz.:flowerforyou:

Mwheatcraft – Wow, a 5K! Go you. :explode: Do you have to run? Won’t a quick walk satisfy?

Ecabache! JB, I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and we sampled the first jar up at the cabin last weekend. I am going to have to make another batch, it’s sooooo good!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

October goals:

Alcohol free on work nights.
    Re-start New Rules of Lifting for Life - exercise 5 days a week.
    Go for a walk with Buster-the-Dog four days a week
    Stay positive when folks get negative at work, surround myself with positive people.
    Count my blessings!