• Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    joint integrity (like scare crow, dirty dog),

you what?
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Women should NEVER lift weights. We will become men and grow weiners.
    Women, please-remember to stick to cardio only and 1000 calories a day.

Hhahahaa LOL

Myth you would have to take steroids/enhancements/hormones to look like a man. Weight lifting with low weight and high reps will give you muscle tone. It wont make you bulky. We are no physically possible to look like that with out other stuff. If we did, then any female who goes to the gym would look like a man.
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I'm home, don't belong to a gym, how much weight should I lift? Shoot me an email here on MFP and let me know what weight I should attempt. I'm 51, loosing weight, want to lift, just don't know where to start. Thanks! Have a 5 lb kettlebell and I know that's not doing the trick.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I loved this video/article by Nia Shanks and a very simple, helpful way to share with friends that ask about weight lifting.

Good forum title for drawing in lots of readers. Seems these types of titles always bring in the most people.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    Don't eat bananas either - otherwise - instantaneous weight gain
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    I just started with a trainer this morning using free weights. By the time I left, my legs felt like jello and I thought I was going to throw up....Now you are telling me I'm not going to be able to write my name in the snow????? This is very disappointing....:sad:
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Serious question. I love lifting and think all women who are able should try it out. It has amazing benefits. However, sometimes the weight area of the gym can be intimidating to a woman who is starting out lifting for the first time, especially if the number of men is significantly greater than the # of women in the weight area of the gym. Its great to read about the benefits, the results, and how its empowering and fun (and it is!) What advice would you all have for a woman who has everything she needs to begin physically lifting, but may have difficulty just mentally breaking into the typically male-centered weight training gym area?

I know myself, I had a difficult time "getting over it" and starting to lift. I had to go with a friend at first to spot me and keep me from being the only woman in the area. After a while of getting more comfortable with my lifts I am a lot more confident and I feel "at home" there, but this may be an issue for some women still.

What say you all?

I just asked one of the trainers on staff to watch me, check my form and show me where everything was. then just go do it. the more you do it the easier it is to walk in and act like you own the free weight section of the gym!
  • kathijen
    kathijen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    But if they lift weights, they will look bulky and like men right?

Only if they go over 60g of protein in a day. Even by 1 gram. Next day, they wake up She hulk.

GENIUS ANSWER!!
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If I'm home, don't belong to a gym, how much weight should I lift? Shoot me an email here on MFP and let me know what weight I should attempt. I'm 51, loosing weight, want to lift, just don't know where to start. Thanks! Have a 5 lb kettlebell and I know that's not doing the trick.

I like New Rules of Lifting for Women. I need a specific day by day plan and that is exactly what I got. (I'm 46).
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Hhahahaa LOL

Myth you would have to take steroids/enhancements/hormones to look like a man. Weight lifting with low weight and high reps will give you muscle tone. It wont make you bulky. We are no physically possible to look like that with out other stuff. If we did, then any female who goes to the gym would look like a man.

Yes, the low weights should also be pink. And have glitter. LOTS of glitter.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LOVE this, bump!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Love this even more because the Nia Shanks' workout is the one I do!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Hhahahaa LOL

Yes, the low weights should also be pink. And have glitter. LOTS of glitter.

If your weights aren't Bedazzled, you're doing it wrong.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    To see bulky, look at my profile photos of me in a navy blue tank. My arms and chest are big and wide and fat. (that day I weighed 168 or so.) Then, look at the peach colored tank photos of after 2 - 3 months with some weight training and eating well. This is just showing me raising my arms above my head to take the shot, I'm not flexing. Do I look big and bulky? I'm 5' 10" hover from 150-153. I'm still a work in progress.

(Sorry, nothing's intuitive on how to insert photos here. mebbs I need to brush up on my html.)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    joint integrity (like scare crow, dirty dog),

you what?

I think they are trying to tell us to incorporate sex moves into our daily workouts for joint strengthening.
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Bumping!

(Typed with my weiner)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    bump

You don't need to bump a thread that someone responded to one minute ago

(unless you're referring to the bump in your pants?)

bump

bump...it's not to keep it in my news feed, but to let my private board read it too...and because "new posts" run so fast that this will be gone shortly...

bump for more clutter

lmao bump...i shouldn't have to explain myself
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    weenis. (wheee-NIS) it's getting harder to hide it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Hhahahaa LOL

I think you're missing something important here.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Hhahahaa LOL

I think you're missing something important here.

No, you.