Drop bread to lose weight

Options

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    mmmm fresh baked bread mmmm... I don't wanna drop it, I don't need to drop it, so I'm not gonna drop it.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've not stopped eating bread/rice/pasta completely, but they're more of a rarity in my diet now (once a weekish at most). However, upon saying that, this isn't a response to being low-carb or anything, I'd just rather eat larger amounts of other food (such as chicken) for the same calorie value.

A sandwich at lunch (with two slices of bread at 100ish calories a piece) will not keep me full all afternoon, but a big omelette or tuna salad will for a lower calorie rating compared to the sandwich. Although upon saying this, I downright refuse to ever give up my sausage , bacon and egg sandwich at the weekend!
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

That's hilarious!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Here's the part that makes sense: Bread products are calorie-dense, nutritionally poor. An insulin spike from eating a carbohydrate-heavy meal leads to an inevitable crash which may leave you feeling hungry again soon after. We've all experienced this.

People whose diet isn't dominated by bread, who eat mostly meat and vegetables, often have an easier time not overeating.

I'm not out to say that bread is the devil but there's some merit to the idea of limiting carbohydrates. Or at least, changing your ratios so that you're not getting most of your calories from bread.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I hve heard this from a number of respected sources but I don't understand it.
    Basically, you drop bread from your diet to shed pounds of weight. I can understand the idea of reducing carbohydrates, including bread, and making sure you are having enough proteins but why bread?
    And if it does make sense, what about pasta - does that go as well?
    Is it more to do with the fat content of bread (so pasta would be ok).
    Any ideas?
    My guess is that it not bread itself -- it's that when you give them up you may be substituting lower calorie foods in the place of bread/pasta. For myself, I no longer eat sandwiches at lunch (which included cheese & deli meat) . Instead I've substituted the salad bar. I log everything into MFP and I can see that my new lunch is 100-150 calories less than my old lunch. And when you eat pasta, it might not be the pasta itself, but the sides that are adding up (garlic bread, meatballs, mozzarella) . Can you lose weight without cutting bread/pasta? Of course. But either way, being aware of what you are eating (ie log it in!) is the best way to lose weight.
  • joelleevans
    Options
    i did stop the bad carbs yes bread but to my suprise the wheat i buy only has 70 calories a slice so when i must have bread i use that pasta and all sugary sweets i cut lost 18 lbs along with major excersize
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    I have 2 slices of bread a day, and on a rare occasion rice or, even rarer, pasta, but I make sure I always buy wholegrain bread, brown rice or wholegrain pasta. I'm doing okay with it ^_^
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation works for me! :) However, low carb was fast. BUT when I stopped to eat normally, it all came back. Why yo yo? Go for the sure thing (moderation).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I vote drop the nonsense rules to lose weight.

The ONLY thing I think should be dropped is trans fats. Everything else can be included as part of a balanced diet.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't really know if it helps to lose weight. I'm really saying I'm ignorant to the fact.

What I do instead of completely getting rid of all bread or whatever, I'm only eating wholegrain versions of them. So instead of white bread I go for granary bread, instead of normal white rice I have brown rice, etc.

I don't think carbs as a whole are bad, like some people think. What I personally believe is that refined carbs are bad (any white carbs basically). Saying that, I did stop eating carbs for the first week then slowly introduce it back in. Lost a ridiculous amount of weight in that one week, could be my body geting a shock from the sudden change.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but less. My Doctor also told me to "be careful with whole wheat or grain *anything* because it's still a carb." (have the diabetes thing going on) Since I like 'white' pasta and bread and rice, I just eat less of it. I am finding I don't really miss them too much, then generally only when I've had a couple of short carb days.

Reading this thread made me want a baked potato for some reason... :tongue: Guess that will be tonight's dinner...with broccoli and cheese. yum
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Dr William Davis believes that the glucoprotien in modern wheat Gliadin acts, basically, like an opiate thus encouraging us to eat more bread. He also points out that whole wheat is almost 20 points higher on the glycemic index that a snickers bar! Id say as with anything - there is wisdom in moderation.

ZOMG! and watermelon has a higher GI rating then both. Luckily ice cream is moderate to low GI so I fill up on that
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I dropped bread, pasta etc., because I was overweight (I consider "overweight" to be a medical condition, but that is just my unqualified opinion) . I figured that if I'm going to cut calories then i should get as much nutrient value as possible out of what little I was eating. My wife eats all the bread, pasta and sugar she wants and doesn't gain a pound. Experiment and figure out what works for you.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add to the dropping bread / weight loss argument, as others have covered that above. But I used to be diabetic, and bread or pasta would send my blood sugar skyrocketing more than any other foods. Most people assume sweets are the worst culprit, but bread was much worse. But my case was certainly more specific than saying everyone should cut bread out completely. Any extreme is usually wrong.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of bread (with peanut butter too) a day. Managed to lose weight with it.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I drop it like it's hot.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of bread (with peanut butter too) a day. Managed to lose weight with it.

To be fair, not everyone can lose weight on your calorie intake
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That's combing wheat and legumes, 2 of the 3 causes of all modern day disease, I shall pray for you
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

To be fair, not everyone can lose weight on your calorie intake
    Hold on there, crazy. You're making it sound like it's the calorie intake that matters and not the specific food choices.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    if you are going to go for a fad diet, I'd recommend replacing all carbs with laxatives. You will drop pounds about 20 minutes after each meal and probably a good 6-8 times a day.

Eventually you will loose a large chunk of weight when your intestines drop out.

8319ee27009ca51cdc20c7ece07ea32f.jpg

If you are serious about loosing weight, add on the more important component, a healthy lifestyle. true story.

you can eat bread, just not like the king....

tumblr_lxhfakvMJd1qbujox.jpg

elvis-presley2-460x307.png