Food questions? Ask me anything

Options

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your cooking tips.

i want to know how can i adapt indian curries to be low fat ,

any healthy indian recipes that you can share will be appreciated.

thanks
    what dishes specifically would you most like to see? Indian food covers such a vast array of things, good news is Indian food relies mostly on spices and seasonings for flavor and not fats or sugars...so yeah if you can specify a couple of your favorite things just let me know. And I'll be happy to post some healthy versions.

For what it's worth, in my experience most Indian recipes can do without most of the oil the recipes tend to state. And they still work if you take the skin off the chicken. And low fat yoghurts work nearly as well as the full fat versions.

But now I'll leave you to the expert!
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the Ranch dressing recipe! I will try it and report back. :-)
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your cooking tips.

i want to know how can i adapt indian curries to be low fat ,

any healthy indian recipes that you can share will be appreciated.

thanks
    what dishes specifically would you most like to see? Indian food covers such a vast array of things, good news is Indian food relies mostly on spices and seasonings for flavor and not fats or sugars...so yeah if you can specify a couple of your favorite things just let me know. And I'll be happy to post some healthy versions.

For what it's worth, in my experience most Indian recipes can do without most of the oil the recipes tend to state. And they still work if you take the skin off the chicken. And low fat yoghurts work nearly as well as the full fat versions.

But now I'll leave you to the expert!
    lol thanks for the kind title, but I'm by no means the only authority on food stuffs, I encourage that if people have stuff to add then by all means...please do...I'm no Indian food expert (though I certainly know a few of my fav Indian dishes, and how to build the flavor profiles...however Indian cuisine is so vast that different parts of the country have their own flavors and ingredients, completely different dishes, etc...
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Do you have a low calorie chicken and dumpling recipie to cook in the crockpot
    dumplings by definition aren't exactly low cal, but let me formulate a couple of my favorite ways to make it and I'll edit this post to include the recipe...so keep an eye on this one.

Thanks a bunch
  • KarenPopoff
    KarenPopoff Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do you have a low calorie chicken and dumpling recipie to cook in the crockpot
    dumplings by definition aren't exactly low cal, but let me formulate a couple of my favorite ways to make it and I'll edit this post to include the recipe...so keep an eye on this one.

Thanks a bunch

I've tried dumplings with a light margarine/butter spread and skimmed milk or even water rather than suet and full fat milk and they work OK. But to be honest I'd rather not have them if I can't have the real thing!

And now I'm wondering whether dumplings are the same in the US as they are in the UK, so I'm looking forward to hearing the response!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Any recipes that don't include grains, flour, bread? Pretty much not high in carbs.

Oh and if you don't mind me asking did you take a culinary program ? Just wondering.
  • joygo
    joygo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found out I am allergic to tomatoes. I find that many of my recipes require a can of tomatoes. Can you think of any substitutes I might use?

Thanks for offering to help!
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    Any recipes that don't include grains, flour, bread? Pretty much not high in carbs.

Oh and if you don't mind me asking did you take a culinary program ? Just wondering.
    tons, but do you have anything specific in mind? Something that you're looking for in particular?

And no, never taken a culinary program, but have been cooking for myself in one form or another since I was 9 sold my first recipe to a restraunt @ 17, executive chef by 20, and did that for 9 years before finding a different career path.
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    I found out I am allergic to tomatoes. I find that many of my recipes require a can of tomatoes. Can you think of any substitutes I might use?

Ouch! Lol had to look that one up, as I had no clue...it's called a night shade allergy and here are some tomato replacements that I dug up. http://vegetalion.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-replace-nightshades-part-4.html?m=1
  • joygo
    joygo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    Options

tons, but do you have anything specific in mind? Something that you're looking for in particular?

And no, never taken a culinary program, but have been cooking for myself in one form or another since I was 9 sold my first recipe to a restraunt @ 17, executive chef by 20, and did that for 9 years before finding a different career path.

That's freaking awesome man. Sold a recipe? Impressive! Congrats.

Also, really doesn't matter man. ANYTHING. Soups, Salads, w.e.

Don't know how familiar you are with Google docs, but it would be a cool idea if you could store all your recipes there for EVERYONE to see.. It's your call. :bigsmile:

Appreciate all the help!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    We have decided to eliminate wheat from our diets for awhile, so I'm looking for alternative bread recipes - I bake my own bread. What I'm finding on the internet is either very high calorie per serving and/or very high fat. I found a nice looking recipe with only 90 calories per serving, but 80 of those calories were from fat! So, I'm looking for a recipe that is wheat-free, low-calorie AND low-fat. Does such a thing exist?
  • tizachary
    Options
    Bump
  • WeekndOVOXO
    Options
    We have decided to eliminate wheat from our diets for awhile, so I'm looking for alternative bread recipes - I bake my own bread. What I'm finding on the internet is either very high calorie per serving and/or very high fat. I found a nice looking recipe with only 90 calories per serving, but 80 of those calories were from fat! So, I'm looking for a recipe that is wheat-free, low-calorie AND low-fat. Does such a thing exist?

Would also like to know this. If it exists...
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mmartiandt
    mmartiandt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in a recipe for a creamy tomato soup. It needs to be gluten free, and I typically don't use low fat or fat free anything. I tried a recipe once, but the milk curdled, and it just wasn't right. :(
  • floresvn1
    floresvn1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    how about a way to make a low fat cheese cake? or am i dreaming? lol or a low fat punpkin cheese cake? again i could be dreaming
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Ouch! Lol had to look that one up, as I had no clue...it's called a night shade allergy and here are some tomato replacements that I dug up. http://vegetalion.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-replace-nightshades-part-4.html?m=1

I've recently pinpointed an intolerance to tomatoes. So that might be of use to me too. I used to think it was the bread, pasta & potatoes that set my IBS off, now I'm having to avoid tomato soup, pasta sauce and lovely beefsteak tomatoes :sad:
    So what's the point of buying "free from" pasta if I can't have a sauce.

Thanks I'm going to check that link :flowerforyou: