The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Rimroses
    Rimroses Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Family photos. I nearly died when I saw what I looked like. That was about 2 months and 13lbs ago. 20 to go to my first goal!
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Having another child. I want to lose 40 lbs before I get pregnant again.
  • xiuxiusingapore
    Options
    okay, my big moment was when the doctor told me that I needed to lose weight in order to get the higher chance of conceiving. I have been struggling with my weight since i was little. I guess I have the genes which make me hard to lose weight but easy to gain.
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on the scale my grandmother gave me (after she got a new one) and realized I was over a hundred and fifty pounds. I'm only five feet tall. That's a ridiculous amount of weight. I had always told myself I could diet or exercise and lose weight whenever I wanted to (just like an addict saying they can quit whenever they want to) and so it was time to start...
  • MrFitness972
    MrFitness972 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The doctor!!!!!!
  • carolannrichard
    Options
    It was the moment I looked at the scale and saw 290lbs.!!! I was on steroids at the time and was getting those munchie attacks again, then I said NO MORE!!! I WILL NOT BE THAT 300 LB. person. I tried by myself, but since I found MFP.com I AM losing the weight. I just want to say that my mfp friends and everyone on this site ROCKS!!! Every one of you inspire me. :flowerforyou:
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lol, a terribly superficial reason... I was always ~5 lbs lighter than one of my best friends and we had very similar body types... then she went and dropped 20 lbs over the summer. The other girls in my close circle of friends are all naturally quite slender and I thought, NO WAY am I going to be the biggest one here!
  • Fitsicle
    Options
    When I realized that I couldn't fit any of the jeans or jean shorts in my closet. Literally, none of them.
    I was wearing sweats and running shorts for weeks!
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    2am in the ER being told I was diabetic.:sad:
  • sdmillman
    Options
    Finding out that my liver was fat (NASH is the term)! When my options became either lose weight or find a new liver, I found myself to be pretty motivated!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I saw pictures of myself while playing with my daughter this summer....ugh awful sight!! And also the fact that I couldn't fit into my size 11/12 jeans anymore!! That was it!!! I set my mind to it and I made it happen!! :)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Well. I weight 265lbs and signed up for a 10k trail run. I trained for it, set a reasonable goal that I wanted to complete it in under three hours and not be last, and showed up. I was massssively under prepared for what I was about to do, and while I achieved my goals of under three hours (2hrs and 54 mins, and three other people finished after I did and 200 dropped out at the halfway point) I was embarassed for myself. I seriously hated that I couldn't compete in a manner I found acceptable. People were telling me "Hey, you got out there and did it! You're awesome for showing up and finishing!" while well intentioned, made me feel even more freakish. Like, hey lets watch this fat*ss embarass herself. She thinks she can do these things and she can't. So I declared "Game On" on my body, and I fully intend to show up at this years Ugly Mudder 10k, ready to slay - so I won't be embarassed of myself anymore.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes has been awful...I need new and found myself wandering into the WOMAN'S section, and not at all happy about it. My clothes are starting to loosen up, still going to hold off until spring and hopefully a shopping spree several sizes smaller. Not going to pressure myself to a number but hope it will be 2-4 smaller then now. I had to buy a few things for an upcoming trip and did not see a drop in size but was definitely not squeezing into them which is still an improvement. Besides bigger is better then poured into something unable to breathe.
  • tizachary
    Options
    From out of nowhere the thought of dying popped into my head.....all I could think of was how many pallbearer's would there need to be to carry my fat *kitten* in a coffin? I love my family too much to be an embarrassment like that, especially when I can take control and change it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I was watching supersize me at the movies with a large diet coke and a family size bag of snickers chocolate bites. About half way through the movie I was putting one in my mouth and was like waaait a minute... this is gonna.... HOLY SH***T!

I threw both in the trash at the end of the movie. I went on a healthy diet, lost 20kg and got into a healthy bmi. then got a bit podgy over 5 years eating cookies in london.

but yah, that was a MASSIVE wake up call.
  • reenyt
    reenyt Posts: 3
    Options
    I started to get in shape when my doctor spoke honestly and compassionately with me. My previously healthy, vibrant, beautiful 12 year old son died of seizures on 1/1/2004. My world fell apart. I didn't want to do anything. Sometimes I ate, sometimes I didn't, I ate junk, I didn't care. My physician acknowledged that he knows I'm grieving the death of my youngest son, but that my son would want me to have a good quality of life. And that's true. I owe it to my son, my surviving children, my family and myself. Life is a gift.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I was never not "serious" about it. From the moment I began actually giving a crap because I realized how much my poor overall level of fitness was getting in the way of being able to pursue fun hobbies, I simply began adopting strong nutrition practices and exercise and that was it. It was never a question of motivation. It was like I simply turned a switch on inside of me that said "okay, let's switch into weight loss/fitness mode" and that was it. It was just that easy. So I don't really relate to all these people who struggle with motivation.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sitting in my doctor's office and listening to him once again tell me that they can't find anything more wrong with my knee even though it still hurts and remind me once again that I need to lose weight (after the surgeon told me basically there was nothing more he could do for me and just go back to my regular doctor) it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't going to get them to take my reports of pain seriously unless I lost the weight and proved empirically that there was more to it than just that. I am 3 lbs. from the point where I was when I first met him 14 years ago and when I hit that mark, I'm going in again to have it officially recorded and get a full physical and ask for a new plan. I may still have 53 lbs. to go to final goal, but I think losing 62 lbs. (65+ by the time I go in -- 42 of those since my appt. in May should be sufficient to prove that I am cooperating with his theory and doing what I need to do and it's not going away!! Chorus of "toldja sos" ringing in my ears!
  • marinaxmarisol
    Options
    When someone i didnt even know yelled out " YOU ARE SO F---ING FAT" and then laughed and drove away :(
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    After my sister's birthday party on May 5th...I was disgusted and revolted by the pictures of me. In one of the pictures, I was eating...enough said. I started the next day and haven't looked back. I joined this site a few weeks later and I'm happy to say that I'm 33 pounds down now. I still have a way to go, but I know I can do it. If I ever waver, all I need to do is look back at that pictures.